Sponsored

My next convertible ... another Mustang GT? Something else? Misc rambling!

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I think this looks pretty F-ing amazing - though I guess I might be saying that knowing that there's also 650HP sitting under the hood :D

upload_2019-4-9_8-32-16.png
Nothing wrong with the look of a Camaro convertible. I don’t mind the front end either. But what I don’t like is the dash. I couldn’t look at this all day long. HUD is nice, but not that nice.:headbang: But I am sure, if you bought one, you would enjoy it immensely. :fingerscrossed:

Good luck with whatever you choose. :like:
2ED3CD6C-DD97-45B4-A527-CCB55784FEC5.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Id like to vote for an Alpha 4C or Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
Ahh, yeah, shopping 4-seaters only, if not, I'd probably seriously consider another Vette (had 4 previously). I just enjoy taking the car with the family, I mean, there's only 3 of us, but a few months ago we did a combo trip to an Ace Cafe cruise-in + Universal trip, no-can-do with a 2-seater.

I also realize the back seats are seats only in the academic sense :D ... but we've probably got another 5 years before the little G outgrows them (and/or we're not cool enough to ride with anymore :D)

Nothing wrong with the look of a Camaro convertible. I don’t mind the front end either. But what I don’t like is the dash. I couldn’t look at this all day long. HUD is nice, but not that nice.:headbang: But I am sure, if you bought one, you would enjoy it immensely. :fingerscrossed:

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the Camaro interior, in fact, it was one of the motivating factors when I chose my '16 GT over a Camaro SS of the same year. It's a bit scatter shot, like weird geometry, odd component placement, etc., so it's certainly a factor.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

2ED3CD6C-DD97-45B4-A527-CCB55784FEC5.png
I like it, but don’t love it. I’d better at least like it, seeing as how I have $40+k invested in it :crackup: I absolutely LUV the HUD. The one thing about it that I do not like are the big pods right behind the steering wheel. They could stand to be a little smaller and/or lower. Other than that, the 2SS interior is pretty nice, IMHO.

And, yes....Good luck with whatever you choose MaskedRacerX

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Jaguar F type looks pretty sweet. About the same size as the Mustang. Looks to be a 575hp version. No doubt a bit pricer but your boards will fit.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
If you're looking for a four seater convertible, you have a lot more limitations then.

Have you considered a Porsche 911? They're four seaters. The 997.2 generation can be had for a reasonable price (don't get 997.1, they have issues). There's also the Range Rover Evoque Convertible - and that's, uh, something else. Lots of Mercedes four seater convertible options as well, though I don't personally like any of them short of the SL models, which are two seaters.

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Camaro trunk cuts In half with the top down and partition up. You'd be lucky to fit a six pack in there. Stick with the mustang.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Camaro trunk cuts In half with the top down and partition up. You'd be lucky to fit a six pack in there. Stick with the mustang.
Yep, I put that in the "con" list for a ZL1 :)

The main competition ... a Camaro ZL1 convertible.
- Crappy trunk space, with a __difference__ based on whether the top is up or down
It's not an insignificant issue, we've owned quite a few convertibles, with both implementations (same space vs. smaller space with the top down ...), and it's something to consider. It's still enough space for a "getaway weekend", but the GT trunk has a ton of room, we did Universal with 3 rollers, a large-ish cooler, a computer bag, 2 pillows, and some additional supplies - all in the trunk ... and put the top down! :D

Jaguar F type looks pretty sweet. About the same size as the Mustang. Looks to be a 575hp version. No doubt a bit pricer but your boards will fit.
I actually think modern Jag designs are terrific, but I'm not a Jaguar owner :)

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
you can’t add old boards to new Jaguars! What would the neighbors think???

CVCashmere

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me, I would go with the 2019 Mustang GT Vert. It checks all the wish boxes for me that my 2017 doesn't have..
Positives:
Better Engine- more power with the larger IM vs adding the Ford Power Pack 2 or a tune to my 2017 (and can still run regular 87-89 pump gas!)
Active Exhaust (as much as I love my Corsa Sport.. I really want this!)
Heated Steering wheel- the one area I get really cold unless wearing gloves
Magna Ride- would make it even better in the twisties
and a bonus is the Auto Rev Matching.. (I suck at heal toe)
Negatives:
Don't really care about the digital dash.. some say it is hard to see in sunlight with the vert
The front end would have to grow on me.. still struggling with that..
The tick, rattle whatever they call it might lead to a bad engine

It's hard to beat the feel of the Mustang Convertibles... I keep thinking that there must be more favorable options, but when it comes to sound, look, feel there is just something about them you don't get with the higher end models (mbw, audi, etc..). It's got "soul"

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red

Sponsored
OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If it were me, I would go with the 2019 Mustang GT Vert. It checks all the wish boxes for me that my 2017 doesn't have..
Positives:
Better Engine- more power with the larger IM vs adding the Ford Power Pack 2 or a tune to my 2017 (and can still run regular 87-89 pump gas!)
Active Exhaust (as much as I love my Corsa Sport.. I really want this!)
Heated Steering wheel- the one area I get really cold unless wearing gloves
Magna Ride- would make it even better in the twisties
and a bonus is the Auto Rev Matching.. (I suck at heal toe)
Negatives:
Don't really care about the digital dash.. some say it is hard to see in sunlight with the vert
The front end would have to grow on me.. still struggling with that..
The tick, rattle whatever they call it might lead to a bad engine

It's hard to beat the feel of the Mustang Convertibles... I keep thinking that there must be more favorable options, but when it comes to sound, look, feel there is just something about them you don't get with the higher end models (mbw, audi, etc..). It's got "soul"

Good post.

You know, I had been sort of comparing a new 18/19 GT @$50K-55K to a 1-2 year old ZL1 in the mid-50s (it was a what else could I buy for $50-55K, oh, a slightly used ZL1 vert), which clearly is a bit Apples/Oranges. If I start looking into the used GT market, there are some great deals, then it's back to a $12-15K savings on the GT and that's a supercharger to even things up :D

I think I'd actually save on the PP this pass, since I'll wind up with different springs/wheels/tires anyway, maybe do something fun like get a used set of PP front Brembos and PC them the body color (going bright this time!) The only thing that leaves out that I'd kind of like, is the Mag Suspension (req's PP), which of course the ZL1 has as well.

So I'm thinking a CPO'ed 18/19, 10-speed, 401a, dual mode exhaust - add a SmartTop module and a Edelbrock Stage I supercharger. That's almost Apple to Apples :D

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Just knocked around on a few sources, CarGurus, etc., found some deals like this (don't think I want to buy new again):

2018 GT Convertible
Orange Fury
10-speed auto
3:55 LSD rear
401a package
Black accent package
Smart and Safe (includes ACC)
Spare (hey, it's a $495 add!)

10K miles, CPO'ed, $41K !

Missing the dual mode exhaust, but that's a pretty killer deal for just about the exact car I want. Swap over my 20x10/20x11 wheel/tire setup, ready to go :D

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just knocked around on a few sources, CarGurus, etc., found some deals like this (don't think I want to buy new again):

2018 GT Convertible
Orange Fury
10-speed auto
3:55 LSD rear
401a package
Black accent package
Smart and Safe (includes ACC)
Spare (hey, it's a $495 add!)

10K miles, CPO'ed, $41K !

Missing the dual mode exhaust, but that's a pretty killer deal for just about the exact car I want. Swap over my 20x10/20x11 wheel/tire setup, ready to go :D
Yes, that is a heck of a deal.. the year old CPO's are the way to go in my opinion... you skip that 10k depreciation bite and get a longer warranty. And for what it's worth.. I believe the 18's and 19's without the active exhaust feature include the wiring harness to add it on later. Would just have to swap the mufflers out.... Corsa also sells an active exhaust system for the 2018/19 although I don't know if they have it designed for the vert yet..

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yes, that is a heck of a deal.. the year old CPO's are the way to go in my opinion... you skip that 10k depreciation bite and get a longer warranty. And for what it's worth.. I believe the 18's and 19's without the active exhaust feature include the wiring harness to add it on later. Would just have to swap the mufflers out.... Corsa also sells an active exhaust system for the 2018/19 although I don't know if they have it designed for the vert yet..
Yeah, that initial depreciation hit is pretty brutal - I mean, the new car experience is really fun, but I've done it enough times (and we'll continue to do it for the wife/family ride, I lease those).

I was planning on researching adding the active exhaust after-the-fact, that would be terrific if it was pre-wired (and the controls could be switched on via Forscan, I believe there's some settings via the digital dash).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt conv
Man you know I love my new Mustang. I had a much bigger budget for my fun car purchase and I also am not brand loyal. The zl1 was a consideration but I think the issue of overkill kept me away. I can enjoy the power of the Mustang without breaking the law too badly ha. So was looking at 991 convertibles with pdk. Realized the Porsche was more than I wanted to spend so went with the Mustang and couldn't be happier.
Sponsored