My Muffler Delete

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
I had a 2015 Mustang vert.... I got the muffler delete and it sounded terrible.

I purchased the Magnaflow mufflers and that did it for me. Never going to get "great" sound though.. only so much you can do here. I never got the sound I really wanted.

Looking back, I would have kept it stock and spent the money and time elsewhere.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=726328&postcount=1188
Fair enough. To each their own. I have a phased plan myself just in case I'm not 100% satisfied. Phase 1 is the deletion (with possible resonated tips). If after a few months I'm not fully satisfied, I'm swapping the resonator with a Magnaflow muffler PN 12288, which is a direct fit replacement. On another forum, it's called the Moxman system (named after the forum member that experimented a bit to find his preferred tone). His result was really deep with no drone or rasp and the muffler swap out for the resonator really added a great improvement in the tone without any change to the volume.

I love a loud exhaust with a deep growl. My last car was a GTI with a full turbo back, high flow cat and tiny Magnaflow mufflers. As it aged, it got deeper and deeper in tone. People couldn't believe it was a turbo 4 cyl, sounded unreal.
Sponsored

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
After over a year with these resonated tips I have to say resonated TIPs make a HUGE difference in the end result. My ears no longer ring when I WOT in a tunnel. Cold starts sound much nicer now. Less rice and the rolled tips just look good. Even idle sounds way better than the high pitched tingy stock tips
Well, I think you might have sold me. I found the same ones you have in polished instead of black (prefer the look of polished) for 33 each on CARID, so that's a done deal. It says they're 9" length, which seems pretty long. How was fitment and how far do they stick out? I don't mind a bit of poke, but I don't want them sticking crazy far out back.

Oh and I realized you're the nut driving around New York with the top down and no windscreen! Kudos to you, you crazy bastard! Thanks for helping me decide on this mod, your post here and a couple YT vids were all I needed to make the choice. Between the low cost and the unreal sound, I don't see why anyone should have to spend hundreds on an axleback, or even more for a catback, when you can just do this and sound so good.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Your mechanic will ask you what exact position you want by holding the tip in place for you and then he will weld it on once you’re satisfied
Just got back from the shop. Hoooooly shit does this sound amazing! I put the resonated tips on like you did and it definitely was the right idea! The exhaust note is deep, with a serious growl, but no buzzy rasp or any drone whatsoever. Just cruising with the top down, it's completely calm, but once I put my foot down it just roars. So glad I didn't waste money on an axleback kit. 100 dollars labor, 80 bucks for the tips and it's perfection.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds the freaking same. Volume wise at least, but pitch does sound lower when driving.

IMG_E7182.JPG
IMG_E7183.JPG

Was hoping this would tone down my morning cold starts.

Edit: After a few tunnel runs, the pitch at the high end is DEFINITELY lower, because it's no longer ear piercing with the top down, but a deeper tone.
What’s with the animosity towards the support jobs? Just curious.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I hear ya, just don’t think people would think too kindly of that plate driving around military sense areas. I’d be weary myself of some asshat keying a car or something.

On side note, your exhaust sounds solid.
328F289C-A6C0-4FEF-A594-382EB2E4FC9D.jpeg

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Fresh off the press!

2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible with muffler delete and resonated tips...

Sponsored