My Mach 1 tribute car

Dweisman429

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I got this 16 GT premium and I really wanted to do a 70 look, but I couldn't figure out how to mimic the rocker panels. So I decided to use the reflective 69 stripes.

I will say that it didn't turn out quite like I was hoping for, but I am still happy with it and I believe it still gets the idea done.

I was hoping to get the decals on the rear of the quarters to work too but I just don't think they will look right.

I still need to get a stripe made up for the trunk, but otherwise I think it's about done cosmetically. I need to get all of the gofast goodies bolted on soon
8388.jpeg
8390.jpeg
Sponsored

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
Wow, that 69 Mach 1 stripe actually looks good in that location. Hope you don't mind if I steal that idea for myself. I was originally going to make my car a 67 Shelby tribute, but realized the S550 GT doesn't lend itself as well to that particular style. I've since swung to making it a 69 Boss or Mach 1 tribute. I've been toying with ideas on how to handle the side stripe and emblem, but I think you've come up with the right idea.

I assume that'd just a straight up 1969 reproduction stripe?

OP
OP
Dweisman429

Dweisman429

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thank you.

It is a reproduction stripe kit...plus some

The front fender and the door are plenty long, but the piece between the door and the rear wheel is not long enough.

I bought an extra door stripe to make it work. The only problem is...and I didn't realize this at the time...is the stripes taper some...getting slightly larger as it goes toward the rear. I was able to make it work ok and I don't think it's noticable.

I was really wanting to put the sections on the rear also and I may try it yet, but I'm not sure how well it will line up where I put them on the rockers

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I had no idea about the taper. Looks like you made it work because I certainly can't tell.

I'm not sure the rear sections are really necessary. You'd have to trim around the side marker and decide how to terminate them, which could get more complicated. It could look cool if pulled off cleanly. I'd suggest rounding them off much like the shape of the front of the stripe, right under the side marker.

Sponsored

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Hmm. First time I've seen the shaker on any S550. I've been admittedly curious as to how it'd look, but have been skeptical as to whether or not it'd look right. Can't say it does, at least on the refresh. It might look a bit better on a 15-17, but I think a ram air retro shaker contrasts too much with the modern lines of these cars.

This is one area where it might be best to take a cue from the way Chevy is doing these kinds of hoods right now, which is more of an engine cover that pokes up through the hood, is wider than it is long, and is positioned closer to the cowel. That seems to fit the more modern styling themes of today.

I wonder if they made it functional on that car by ducting it to the intake in any way. Also wonder if they mounted it more like the 03/04 Mach 1, which I believe had a series of springs to exaggerate the shaking effect.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Hmm. First time I've seen the shaker on any S550. I've been admittedly curious as to how it'd look, but have been skeptical as to whether or not it'd look right. Can't say it does, at least on the refresh. It might look a bit better on a 15-17, but I think a ram air retro shaker contrasts too much with the modern lines of these cars.

This is one area where it might be best to take a cue from the way Chevy is doing these kinds of hoods right now, which is more of an engine cover that pokes up through the hood, is wider than it is long, and is positioned closer to the cowel. That seems to fit the more modern styling themes of today.

I wonder if they made it functional on that car by ducting it to the intake in any way. Also wonder if they mounted it more like the 03/04 Mach 1, which I believe had a series of springs to exaggerate the shaking effect.
The 03-04 just sat on the engine with some bushings that were on a brace that was bolted right to the engine, it didnt have much wiggle to it if you moved it by hand. It was more to give it flex so it didnt press on the hood and crack it.

OP
OP
Dweisman429

Dweisman429

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That shaker scoop is pretty nice looking for sure. I had not seen that before. Unfortunatelyhe budget has been depleted for a while.

I think that it would look sharp....I just wonder how different the install would be on the s550 versus the s197

Thanks for showing that

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 03-04 just sat on the engine with some bushings that were on a brace that was bolted right to the engine, it didnt have much wiggle to it if you moved it by hand. It was more to give it flex so it didnt press on the hood and crack it.
I see. I'm not very familiar with the SN95s firsthand, so I was thinking of old info I read years ago. My apologies for my error.

OP
OP
Dweisman429

Dweisman429

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I tried to make something work on the rear side of the quarter panel this evening but I couldn't get the decal to cooperate.

I am happy with how it looks even without the rear pieces, although I really would like to be able to finish it out. I may try one more idea before I give up on it.

Sponsored

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I am trying something similar.
IMG_2939 2.jpeg
IMG_2941.jpeg
IMG_2942 2.jpeg

It is hard to see in this picture but on the decklid panel is a 1970 MACH 1 emblem. I still have a lot of work to do, I have tail striping and a set of louvers to put on the back glass. I wanted MRT louvers, but they stopped making them.

Last edited:

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a picture of the decklid.
IMG_2920.jpg

OP
OP
Dweisman429

Dweisman429

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I saw yours a few days ago bear376...very nice. That orange fury lends itself well to the twister theme for sure. I like your decklid as well. That is very similar to my first ideas, although I would have wanted the honeycomb panel. The lettering looks great there.

I didn't care for the GT so I replaced it with a fake gas cap. It's just a plain looking one with the pony but it fits in nicely and is much easier to clean.

I'm going to go one of the local vinyl shops and see what they can do to to get my tail stripe made. The s550 trunk lid is about 10" wider than the 69 and 70 so the stock replacement decal isn't any help.

The MRT louvers I had not yet seen....I had only seen the SpeedForm set that American Muscle has. The MRT has a nice look to it for sure. And louvers are definitely on the want list for me as well....just tapped out my toy fund too quick. Lol

For yours the Quicklatch hoodpins would look nice I think too.
https://www.quik-latch.com/quik-latch-twist-lock.html
Not cheap but they have the look of the originals.

Your car looks very good for sure. Good work with it.
Sponsored