My Good Chevron Fuel Experience

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I thought I would share my evaluation of Chevron gas as I compared it to other Top Tier 93 octane fuel that I regularly use. I mostly fill with Mobile, and sometimes with Sunoco and Exxon, this mostly being a function of the fact that there are a lot of Mobile stations around me. There are not many Chevron stations around me, but on four occasions within the last same number of months, I found myself with a near empty tank and in the vicinity of a particular Chevron station where I filled up with their 93 octane. Notwithstanding my inherent skepticism of corporate representations of their products, I came away from this with a very positive impression.

My subjective perception is that Chevron gas gave me a decidedly increased pull, and I am very clear that it increased my MPG by at least 4, to around 26/27 MPG (different days/different wind?), as per the objective onboard computer's instrument cluster read-out FYI, I evaluated this on a stretch of I-95 between Kanner Highway in Stuart Florida and Cross Town Parkway in Port Saint Lucie Florida (fairly flat terrain, as is typical in Southern Florida) using cruise control set to 72 MPH. There were some occasions where I had to very briefly slow down to get around traffic, but I still consider my observation to be fairly valid given my four test runs. BTW, my numbers might be lower than yours as a consequence of engine and fuel delivery modifications I have made, so the delta of 4 MPG might be more meaningful than the absolute values.

I have yet to do the calculation of whether the pricer Chevron gas with its increased MPG is cost effective as compared to the other lesser-priced Top Tier fuels. I might get to this in a second round of evaluation where I would visit a number of other stations at the same time and in the same vicinity, what given gas price sensitivity to those two factors.

Anyway, I thought I would throw this out there, for whats its worth to others, and to perhap elicit comments from others who have done similar evaluations.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
There is ZERO chance that the difference between brands of top tier gasoline of the same octane is even 1 mpg.
There have been studies that show differences in the energy density of different brands, which I recall as being correlated to the [slightly] different percentages of ethanol that different companies are blending into their fuel, ethanol having something like a 33% lower energy density compared to gasoline. Energy density has a direct effect on performance, including gas mileage. These studies are searchable

In terms of the actual gasoline component of the different brands’ fuels, they are all getting it from the same refineries. Therefore the only difference between the fuels of the different brands is the additives being used, and their quality controls. Apart From ethanol, these additive can effect the health of an engine, which could indirectly effect performance , including gas mileage.

Octane is not a measure of energy density, it, being a measure of resistance to knock, and therefore does not, in and of itself, increase performance. An engine designed for 87 octane could have significantly better gas mileage than one designed for 93 octane.

Chevron‘s claim is that their Techron additive provides significant fuel system cleansing which could potentially improve performance. I have not found any objective studies that bear this out.

It could be that my Injectors were fouled and the Chevron fills cleared them. As a matter of fact, now that I am thinking this through, I had recently experienced intermittent hesitation during acceleration through the 1K to 3K RPM range. I will monitor this to confirm that it resolved.

Of course, it is also possible that Chevron is full of it, and I imagined the whole thing, which would represent a pretty serious delusion on my part. In any event, I find it hard to accept that there is no potential for performance differences between the different brands of fuel, for a given engine. There is certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence that bears that out.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I also noticed more livliness from my car compared to my usual Sinclair 91 diet. I can't explain it either. Maybe chevron is using more or less ethanol in their blends?

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I also noticed more livliness from my car compared to my usual Sinclair 91 diet. I can't explain it either. Maybe chevron is using more or less ethanol in their blends?
I came across a post on the internet where someone mentioned that he gassed up a tank of Chevron once a month to clean out the fuel system

Im a big proponent of taking such preventative measures to promote engine health and longevity. I run Amsoil flush through my engine as a lead-in to my oil changes. I also send out the old oil from each change for analysis.

…I put a lot of money and heart into the car and would prefer keeping it for a good while

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
I’ve always felt chevron was superior fuel and in my area only chevron has no ethanol 94 with more techron. My go to summer fuel.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
There is ZERO chance that the difference between brands of top tier gasoline of the same octane is even 1 mpg.
No one is talking mpg, and I for one don't give a shit about it. it is all about the performance.

A hell YES for Chevron Hi test, a few years ago I was out in the 34, run low on fuel. Forced into a Chevron station tanked up.

The car has a stroker roller motor with a radical circle track cam, pushing the same HP as the Coyote.

Let me say it is damn good fuel and recommended.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Wish I could get 93 here in Kommiefornia. Back in 1990 I bought a Continental (well she wanted it, I hated the thing). Knew one of the service writers at the dealership and he told me that if it ever developed any drivability problems to run a tank of Chevron premium through it before i brought it into the shop. Used Chevron from then on and never took the car in to the shop. Fast forward to today. I am retired from a Chevron Marketer and sold a hell of a lot of their oil. Used Chevron Fuel in all of my machines until there was a small fracas with my Chevron Business Manager. There was another gear head I was working with that was a Mercedes/AMG Master Mechanic and was into high performance. We had been talking about fuels and he said that he has never or recommended anything but Shell Premium (yea, I know, and he is working for a Chevron Marketer). So. I gave it a try and have never looked back. I do know that when I add about 3 gallons of Sunoco 100 with the Shell 91, I get more smiles to the mile.
JMHO Don't care what oil of fuel anyone uses. It's yours, do with it what you think is the best,

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Chevron‘s claim is that their Techron additive provides significant fuel system cleansing which could potentially improve performance. I have not found any objective studies that bear this out.

It could be that my Injectors were fouled and the Chevron fills cleared them.
This.

Decades ago I was a pump jockey working at Gulf, now Chevron, when Techroline/Techron came out.

Used to come in an individual bottle. As part of a tune up, we'd take an idling carbureted engine and pour one bottle down the intake until the engine stalled. Then, let the car sit for 30 minutes+ while we changed the plugs, air filter, etc. as part of a general tune up. One more bottle went into the tank. It had significant cleansing capabilities. We were loosening and then expelling significant carbon deposits.

People inserting a bottle then taking highway trips also reported great improvements.

It's been an additive in Chevron's fuels ever since that era.

I'm a Shell person myself; I feel they have like detergents in their fuels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
No one is talking mpg, and I for one don't give a shit about it. it is all about the performance.

A hell YES for Chevron Hi test, a few years ago I was out in the 34, run low on fuel. Forced into a Chevron station tanked up.

The car has a stroker roller motor with a radical circle track cam, pushing the same HP as the Coyote.

Let me say it is damn good fuel and recommended.
Yesterday, before tanking up with the Chevron, I checked out a Sunoco station a mile up the road, because they have a pump with 100 octane GT 250, for which I have an alternate tune from Lund. I wussed-out, as they were charging $9.99/gal, which would have come near to $180 for the fill. Eventually, this will happen....but please don't tell my wife.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
This.

Decades ago I was a pump jockey working at Gulf, now Chevron, when Techroline/Techron came out.

Used to come in an individual bottle. As part of a tune up, we'd take an idling carbureted engine and pour one bottle down the intake until the engine stalled. Then, let the car sit for 30 minutes+ while we changed the plugs, air filter, etc. as part of a general tune up. One more bottle went into the tank. It had significant cleansing capabilities. We were loosening and then expelling significant carbon deposits.

People inserting a bottle then taking highway trips also reported great improvements.

It's been an additive in Chevron's fuels ever since that era.

I'm a Shell person myself; I feel they have like detergents in their fuels.
I didn't get a good sense from the couple times I filled up with Shell. However, I recall that they have the lowest percentage of ethanol of all the Top Tier brands, and that they have very effective detergents. You are the second person in this thread to say that they have had a good experience with Chevron but a better one with Shell. ....I will give it another try. Thanks!

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I didn't get a good sense from the couple times I filled up with Shell. However, I recall that they have the lowest percentage of ethanol of all the Top Tier brands, and that they have very effective detergents. You are the second person in this thread to say that they have had a good experience with Chevron but a better one with Shell. ....I will give it another try. Thanks!
I'll be your third vote for shell. Az has poor quality gas but chevron and shell are the best options out here. Some of my previous vehicles seemed to prefer chevron and some shell. My GT runs exclusively on shell 91 though. I've tried chevron but it didn't provide the same knock protection on a boosted coyote.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I'll be your third vote for shell. Az has poor quality gas but chevron and shell are the best options out here. Some of my previous vehicles seemed to prefer chevron and some shell. My GT runs exclusively on shell 91 though. I've tried chevron but it didn't provide the same knock protection on a boosted coyote.
Fourth. :giggle:

I've almost exclusively used shell premium for many months now, as the station I fill up at is easiest to get in and out of down where I work. I trust QuikTrip as well, but their locations always seem to be an absolute nightmare to get in and out of. Lot of folks swear by CostCo gas. It might not matter nearly as much as we think, so long as you're using top tier gas.

Come to think of it, this whole exchange seems oddly similar to a familiar forum debate regarding another petroleum-derived fluid... :crackup:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....My subjective perception is that Chevron gas gave me a decidedly increased pull, and I am very clear that it increased my MPG by at least 4, to around 26/27 MPG....
I guarantee you, there was no difference in MPGs versus any other label, same octane, gasoline.

And regardless of what brand station you are at, all the gasoline in the area comes from the same near-by refinery. Shell/Chevron/Mobil/whatever don't have a refinery in every state that supplies all their gas stations. All gas for every station comes from the same local refinery, with (at best) some additional additives for the more expensive label stuff.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I agree base fuel in an area comes from X. The difference is how the station maintains itself (Costco for example), level of detergents, and additive brand. I was using Costco 93 all the time due to station maintenance, level of additives, but I've moved. There is a nice Shell I pass every day, and I get fuel rewards, so I use it. The "nitrogen" branded additive from Shell and Techron/Chevron are two of the best. If I'm on a road trip, I aim for Chevron or Shell 93 first unless I just have to fill up.I want 93 with high levels of a top-notch detergent.
Sponsored