Sponsored

my first truck

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
In Australia, we generally don't get the full size trucks. Ford sold the F-Series here until the early 90's and then again in the early 2000's with F-250 and F-350's. RAM are now sold locally after being converted to Right-Hand-Drive, as it the Chevy Silverado.

So having said that, the staple of pick-up trucks in Australia is the "mid size" class. The Toyota Hilux and the Ford Ranger have been the two top sellers each year for a while now.

My first truck was the previous generation Ford Ranger, the one based on the Mazda platform that dates back to the 90's. Mine was a 2010 bought new and had a 2.5 litre diesel four cylinder teamed with a really nice 5-speed manual. I really liked this thing, never once had a problem in the 6 years I had it. With no ABS, Traction or Stability Control it could be a handful to drive in the wet. Although power-sliding through round-about's was amusing at times. :giggle:

DSC-0133.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0165_(1).jpg

The lack of safety features, a spartan interior and the brutal ride quality were what prompted me to buy a new Ranger in 2016. This one is powered by a 2.2 litre diesel and 6-speed manual, the MT82 no less.

IMG-E1606.jpg

As you can tell, these trucks earn a living. I always say that the Ranger is what helps pay for the Mustang. I ordered this one with a tool drawer under the tray, handy for keeping my tools secure.

ap86.jpg

IMG-2155.jpg

IMG-6316.jpg

lk.jpg

This Ranger does everything I ask of it, I basically live in this thing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I like that bed on it

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
In Australia, we generally don't get the full size trucks. Ford sold the F-Series here until the early 90's and then again in the early 2000's with F-250 and F-350's. RAM are now sold locally after being converted to Right-Hand-Drive, as it the Chevy Silverado.

So having said that, the staple of pick-up trucks in Australia is the "mid size" class. The Toyota Hilux and the Ford Ranger have been the two top sellers each year for a while now.

My first truck was the previous generation Ford Ranger, the one based on the Mazda platform that dates back to the 90's. Mine was a 2010 bought new and had a 2.5 litre diesel four cylinder teamed with a really nice 5-speed manual. I really liked this thing, never once had a problem in the 6 years I had it. With no ABS, Traction or Stability Control it could be a handful to drive in the wet. Although power-sliding through round-about's was amusing at times. :giggle:

DSC-0133.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0165_(1).jpg

The lack of safety features, a spartan interior and the brutal ride quality were what prompted me to buy a new Ranger in 2016. This one is powered by a 2.2 litre diesel and 6-speed manual, the MT82 no less.

IMG-E1606.jpg

As you can tell, these trucks earn a living. I always say that the Ranger is what helps pay for the Mustang. I ordered this one with a tool drawer under the tray, handy for keeping my tools secure.

ap86.jpg

IMG-2155.jpg

IMG-6316.jpg

lk.jpg

This Ranger does everything I ask of it, I basically live in this thing.
You guys also get the Toyota HILUX. I dont understand other than protecting the Tacoma why TMC doesn't sell that truck here.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up on a farm, so we always had a old truck some where . The first one that I remember, because I learned to drive with it, was a late 50's chevy 4x4 step side with a 3 speed on the floor. it was complete with plywood floors, a blanket covered seat and a pull throttle, so the driver could load hay as the truck motored along in the fields . Would love to have that truck now. Oh I was 12 when I drove that truck from fields to local country roads, cant do that anymore. When I put it on the local roads you could not see behind me from all the oil smoke. My dad had it til he sold the farm in 1979 at stayed with the farm. I dont think it had a title or plates .

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I like that bed on it
So do I, made from powder coated steel, it's built like a brick sh..house!! I may or may not have accidentally reversed it into a power pole with it once, not a dint to see! :facepalm: :giggle:

ap83.jpg

There are also two small tool boxes intergrated into the tray, one side has spare irrigation fittings, the other has assorted tools, pruning equipment and trimmer line.

jan2156.jpg

I also love how the tray/bed with the sides dropped is at just the right height to use it as a work bench.

IMG-9733.jpg

IMG-9649.jpg

And yes, this thing gets obsessively detailed like the rest of my fleet. :facepalm:

IMG_0307.jpg

jun233.jpg

gx3.jpg

gx4.jpg

And yes, even the tray has protection on it. :giggle:

jan2155.jpg

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
You guys also get the Toyota HILUX. I dont understand other than protecting the Tacoma why TMC doesn't sell that truck here.
From what I can gather, the Hilux and Tacoma are on the same platform, the Tocoma getting gas engines instead of diesel and of course a different body design.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My first truck was a pale yellow '72 F100 longbed, completely rusted out, with a 390. What a burnout machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
390 FE is a great engine