Help me pick a truck

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I have a question and will ask it later. First some background. I bought a 2004 pickup new and still own it. Three months ago mice built a nest in the main fuse block in the engine compartment. Chewed some wires and shorted out the main engine wire harness. The truck is in a shop being worked on as of last Friday. Had to wait that long just to get it in the shop. This is the first time in a long while I could not fix my own truck. Needs special equipment. I may get my truck back before long and if the fix is good will keep it as it has only about 65,000 miles with no rust.

Seems all new trucks are vulnerable to rodents eating wires and the newer trucks have lots of special computers and tech built into them. I may wind up needing a different truck. Could buy new and hope I can keep the mice away. Have some ideas about that. I could buy an older truck and maybe avoid some of the complicated electronic components.

To my question. I like fuel injection (FI)for the way an engine starts up cold and runs well, so would like FI in an older truck. I would like to have a truck with FI but not computers running the rest of the electrics. I get that I could go back to the classic trucks and replace the carb with a standalone FI. What I would like though is to figure out which years of truck had factory FI but not the other tech run by computers.

Example was the 1972 Porsche 914 I owned for many years. Had a Jettronic FI which was very basic. My 1989 F-150 also had an FI similar to what I seek. My thinking so far is to look for a 1994 to 1996 or so F-150. Three main reasons for those years. First is I like the body style. I want vent windows and I want an AC system using the still available R134A coolant.

I need to add one more item to my list. One of the issues with my 2004 Silverado is a replacement wire harness cannot be had new. Had to find a junkyard harness and fuse block. Are new or aftermarket parts available for the 1994 to 1996 F-150??

Any ideas???
Sponsored