Sponsored

My 350 got hit in a parking lot today

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Sorry to see this happen to you. Luckily the damage seems manageable and not to many panels need repainting.
Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have dash cams in all my cars, front and back windows... when I leave my car, I leave them on. The memory rolls over every 4 hours, so if I come back to something I can connect my phone to my Dashcam and view the record right on the spot.

I noticed a taillight broken out on my truck and was able to find out the culprit by looking at my rear facing dashcam.

The dashcams cost me about $100 each, but well worth it IMO.

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I told my girlfriend I'll be ordering dashcams tonight. Its too epic of a car to leave parked you know. I use it as a daily and in a way it's kind of the community Shelby. Everyone in the car group loves the car. I put it on facebook and everyone in my area is ready with pitchforks to find the SOB that did this lol.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
That really sucks. Worst part is that it was probably hit by an old beater. Around here it's like people purposely park way out next to you and slam their doors into your nice car just out of spite being jealous. They don't care one bit about what someone else worked hard for and it's your fault they don't have it! The vette we traded in on the GS had both mirrors damn near taken off on separate occasions way out in the parking lot by beater cars...
We can't have nice stuff in Pinellas, I guess ;)

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It really sucks. I love this car and have worked my ass off to get it and some jackass decides to hit it and ditch. Insurance should take care of it but I hate going to the garage and looking at it.
This is the reason that I got a BlackVue 2 channel dashcam with a power magic pro. It's my own personal surveillance camera

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This sucks man. I wish more people took responsibility for their actions

Collisions on private property generally aren't investigated by the police because the rules of the road and vehicle code do not apply there. Therefore there isn't much a report from the police will do for you. A hit and run report is generally only taken if you have credible information that can be followed up on. License plate #, vehicle description, description of the driver, etc.

Without the information of the driver or at least the license plate information from the vehicle there would not be much anyone could do investigation wise.

However, Your insurance company has investigators and that is what you pay them for. I would encourage you, or request that your insurance company obtain footage from the business. You may be able to get video of the collision. Trace that back to them walking out of the diner, then trace that back to their receipt and the card they paid with. In most cases I've seen the surveillance footage at restaurants is cheap at best and clarity to discern faces or license plate information is lacking.

Just information for the brain. May the force be with you.

Last edited:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I clipped a side rear view mirror once on a very tight street in Gloucester. Left a message in the wiper with my contact info. I'll never forget how grateful the woman was when she called...
Sorry this happened to you- the perp is a POS low life who exemplifies the worst ... Hope your repairs are professional and unrecognizable.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks. I would have been livid.

Side note...you parked out back at Outback and the 1st person to respond to this thread is from Australia. :p

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Was the car yellow? You can ask to view other cameras and see if any yellow car is leaving.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
everywhere is different about what police can and can not do on private property. But leaving the scene of an accident should be enforceable.

What would I expect? A police report showing that the accident isn't my fault and even if the camera did catch the accident a copy of the video for the insurance company to take to his company.

Do let them half ass the job. My wife's SUV was hit in a parking lot and the insurance sent us to a body shop to fix the cosmetic issues.

Lees than a month later the power steering started going out. I added fluid but that didn't work so I took it to a mechanic who looked at it and asked "when were we hit?"

Now we had to make a second claim and "prove" that it was related to the parking lot hit.

The mechanic showed that there was a mark on the wheel that showed the tire and rim were hit too which messing with the steering gear and pump.

Bottom line: make sure a mechanic looks behind the body damage.

Sponsored
OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I appreciate all the kind words fellas. I'm just pissed that the person couldn't fess up to it. Just so you know [MENTION=20243]50 Deep[/MENTION] my idea was to do what you did and replace the front with Carbon2Carbon like yours. I was going to anyway but now I might as well since it'll all be replaced. I'm not sure what color the car was as there are no scrapes that have paint from another car in it. I just want to get it fixed so it can be driven like a bat out of hell again.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Sorry to hear about this, this is just frustrating, I feel your pain.

Parking lot accidents like this just kill me. Dishonest people are everywhere. If it's not an accident like this, it could be a jealous vandal or a thief.

I can tell you a story that happened to my Dad back in the 80's which is the other side of this- My dad was at the Gym and while leaving in his Caddy, he accidentally hit the mirror on a brand new Corvette. My dad is and always has been an honest guy, so he went into the Gym and found the owner of the Corvette and told him what had happened. Well, the Corvette owner was a huge A-hole and just absolutely lost it, to the point that he was threatening to my dad (the owner of the Corvette was an avid bodybuilder and much larger than my Dad also). They called the police, had a report written up on the accident, and exchanged numbers.

Within a day or two, the Corvette owner called my Dad and again belittled him and started threatening him for money. This turned again into physical threats. This continued for about a week, until my Dad was concerned enough for his safety due to the continued escalation and had to call the police and file a report on the Corvette owner. The Police had to go to the Corvette owners house and advise him that they would arrest him again if he harrassed my Dad any further. Needless to say, my Dad was distraught and frustrated that all he wanted to do was the right thing, and he caught a lot of grief for doing so. Nevermind the monetary impact it had on him, which he was willing to take responsibility for, the whole thing just turned him sour. I'm not sure he'd seek out a car owner again if he hit one in a parking lot.

Doesn't help out the OP here, but that's just a story I thought I'd share since we're talking about hitting unattended cars in parking lots.

The worst part I see from your event- you did everything right, parked way out where it should have been safe. I know I usually park where I can see my car while I eat or go somewhere, but we can't live life always being paranoid something is going to happen.

Hope this gets fixed quick and you can move on as soon as possible, and again, I'm sorry this happened to you.

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Yea, I just recently learned too that cops cannot go in any parking lots because they are considered private property. My Mom told me do not get in an accident in a parking lot because the cops cannot help, then it becomes your word against their's.

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
I always park as close as possible. I see so many of my friends park far away and always saying people still park next to them or hit their car. If this still happens you might as well park as close as possible like me. Where the cameras might reach and more likely will be pointed toward. Also the closer it is, the more likely more people will pass next to it, meaning more witnesses if something happens.

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
Insurance varies from state to state but in Texas you would be able to file this under the "Uninsured Motorist" portion of your policy (if you have that coverage). Hit and Run accident's are considered Uninsured Motorist claims in most states. The deductible (in Texas) for a UM claim would be $250 and is the same for everyone. If you have UM coverage make sure your company is not filing the claim under the "collision" portion of your policy.
BTW, I'm an agent in Texas. Good Luck!
Sponsored