Sponsored

My 2020 GT500 finally reached the finish line!

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
James Garner as Maverick, loved that show. Unfortunately my family only had a B&W TV, but it was still my favorite. Damn, I'm getting old.

Jack Kelly and James Garner.

James-Garner-in-Maverick-1957.jpg
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Yep, I loved Maverick too, Earl and I think the show was only in black and white for a good while before it went to color. Yeah, seems we're both not getting any younger. :-) Good photo.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Less dudes, more T&A.:)

Was it going east, west, or south? @Epiphany ? Yours?
Can't be. Karma has targeted me as of late and continually tries to trick me so I'm aiming very low. My car seems to have fallen into some sort of abyss where nothing happens.

On another note, and as far away from Hollywood as I can get, I had some more GT500 brake hardware come in. Some of this might interest you Tom...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Less dudes, more T&A.:)

Can't be. Karma has targeted me as of late and continually tries to trick me so I'm aiming very low. My car seems to have fallen into some sort of abyss where nothing happens.

On another note, and as far away from Hollywood as I can get, I had some more GT500 brake hardware come in. Some of this might interest you Tom...

So my takeaway from your observations are that the caliperfexion studs wont change much. Same caliper bolts should equal same studs. However the different braking forces and loads on the caliper interface to the knuckle should be looked at for structural capability. If your studs are of greater strength than the OEM bolts, I guess you are good to go. It was nice of the ford engineers to do that for you.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The point I was making is that the thread projection of the bolts through the caliper - has not changed. There was a change made to knuckle in that the threads run deeper, say roughly 1/4", so a stud would now jam the collar (which acts as the "register" for a stud) into the knuckle threads before the stud ever bottomed out. The bolts don't need to bottom out but a stud does. In essence, what worked for the GT350 does not necessarily work on the GT500.

My comment about the factory bolts being the same size was important. In other words, clamp force hasn't suddenly become of greater concern. It'll be interesting to see what torque figure Ford recommends for the bolts on the GT500.

The extended thread portion that I mentioned is rather interesting. Technically, and assuming the same metallurgy, hardness, etc, the bolt with more threads may prove weaker. The additional potential from stress risers when the threads were put in place makes no sense. They can be a weak point. For example, if you put one of the caliper bolts in a vice and tried to bend it into a u-shape, it is likely you'd see fatigue and failing in the threaded area before that of the smooth portion of the bolt shank. If I were designing a caliper bolt for the GT500, I would have designed it exactly like the older, GT350 bolts where the threads end just beyond the joint.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Maybe I missed it, but I dont remember anything about the knuckle and the bolt or stud depth in the video.

Anyway, looking forward to the next set of products from your wife.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are indeed paying attention. I never mentioned the depth of the threaded hole in the knuckle. The reasoning behind that one is a bit of a mystery too given the fact that the caliper bolt extends no further into it now than it did with the old knuckle on '19 and earlier GT350's.

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing all your findings while we collectively wait for our cars I am in the spring mustang club, so this is great to make the wait better!

the5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
I had some GT500 brake and suspension hardware come in today. I'm still waiting for more as it is early and some parts are difficult to track down (or even get a price for!). I laid out what I had in my shop and took a look at rotors, calipers, and hubs of both the GT350 (back when cross drilling was still in fashion) and the 2020 GT500. When I have everything I'll assemble a complete "module" for each so you can see aesthetic differences as well as physical differences in weight. My apologies if the video has some Transformers shake - I'm old now.

IMG_6314-2-X3.jpg

IMG_6316-2-X2.jpg

IMG_6321-2-X3.jpg

IMG_6319-2-X3.jpg

I gotta say, I installed GT350R calipers on my non-R car and they were gorgeous. The GT500 calipers are in another galaxy. And you really get a taste for how much a carbon ceramic rotor (for example) could have done for this car - at a hefty price of course.
Are the Caliper Mount holes the same between the 500 and 350? For example could you mount the 350 caliper to the 500 Spindle?

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Are the Caliper Mount holes the same between the 500 and 350? For example could you mount the 350 caliper to the 500 Spindle?
I would be interested in changing rotors and bolting the 500 caliper to the 350.

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
My comment about the factory bolts being the same size was important. In other words, clamp force hasn't suddenly become of greater concern. It'll be interesting to see what torque figure Ford recommends for the bolts on the GT500.
ask and ye shall receive...136 lb ft same as GT350

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes perfect sense btown. Thanks for that!

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
@Epiphany , Tob, check this out, look at the handling package. Still no mention of the adj strut mounts.

1A5B1F67-E06C-4C77-A191-1F465425D53F_jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I know. I gave up trying to decrypt anything Ford says regarding the Handling Package. I did talk to my dealer today and he said he thinks they will be included. They are sent to the dealer parts department (along with a cover if ordered) and the wickers/flap will be uninstalled and inside the car. He also said the the selling dealership gets compensated for the install of the plates and they get paid to do the subsequent alignment. I'm giving them a camber number to shoot for.