My 2020 GT 350 Engine Blew today

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The Shelby is a nice car but don’t make to be what is not: a super exotic car that require years of training and driving skills that Only a few can ever hope to master!!!
What a load of BS
Believe what you want... when and if you will actually own one, you will believe it, deep down you will... you will never admit it though :)
I am a believer!
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Sum this up - A nice way to say you can’t drive worth a shit
Lololol, this is one of the most ignorant things in this thread, that and a GT350 is some super car that only high levels of experience can drive it. hahaha.
Professional drivers have “money shifts” it can happen to anyone.

Vectors2Final

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 BL Navi L/19 GT350 Ruby
Lololol, this is one of the most ignorant things in this thread, that and a GT350 is some super car that only high levels of experience can drive it. hahaha.
Professional drivers have “money shifts” it can happen to anyone.
When I was 19, I thought I was hot-shit around town with my 5MT, and then I lost a gear, and then after being cheap and starting in 2nd for a few months, I had to man up and have the transmission rebuilt. Worst $3000 bucks ever.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
When I was 19, I thought I was hot-shit around town with my 5MT, and then I lost a gear, and then after being cheap and starting in 2nd for a few months, I had to man up and have the transmission rebuilt. Worst $3000 bucks ever.
Being 75 age I faintly remember when around 20 a kid that had a beat up car (don't know now what kind) that had an inspection cover inside of car on top of the manual transmission. He'd broke the shiftier so he had the cover off and would brag about how he could shift gears with a stick. I'd been with him when he did it. Awkward and slow but it got him around town. Another had cement blocks for front seats. I ran with some crazy guys including me!

Vectors2Final

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 BL Navi L/19 GT350 Ruby
Being 75 age I faintly remember when around 20 a kid that had a beat up car (don't know now what kind) that had an inspection cover inside of car on top of the manual transmission. He'd broke the shiftier so he had the cover off and would brag about how he could shift gears with a stick. I'd been with him when he did it. Awkward and slow but it got him around town. Another had cement blocks for front seats. I ran with some crazy guys including me!
That's crazy! I don't know if that would fly in this day and age.

I'm probably still a spring chicken in your eyes being in my 30s. haha

Sponsored

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
One of the reasons the GT350 is such a great car is that it is an easy and forgiving car to drive fast, even for beginning drivers. That said, it will conceal a lot of errors that beginning drivers make. Beginning drivers in GT350's are usually 10-15 seconds slower per lap than a good driver driving the same car. The better driver you are, the more rewarding the GT350 becomes. I used to have a full-blown Nissan 350Z Spec Z race car-it was truly a quick car. The first time I drove my stock GT350 on the track it was 4 seconds per lap faster than my best time in the Z, and my personal best is more than 7 seconds faster per lap. It's to the point where the car is so fast near or at its limit that it really should have a roll cage and fire suppression.
Those who have a GT350 (or any modern high-performance car for that matter) that have 1. never tracked their car and 2. never had some form of high-performance driving instruction really have absolutely no idea what these cars are capable of. That's why it's not uncommon to see Miatas crushing McLarens at open lapping days. I was at Laguna Seca driving a stock 2019 911 and there was a guy driving a halo hypercar. It was obvious he had never had any type of coaching, as he was all over the track and slow as dogshit, and I was running away from him.
My point is, if you have not taken your high-performance car to the track, you are missing out. Even if you only do it once, it will open your eyes to what both you and the car are capable of and make you a better driver. Track Attack (if you buy new) is awesome. Otherwise, NASA, SCCA, Porsche Club, BMW Club, Hooked on Driving, Chin Motorsports, and others all run safe track days nationwide with generally good in-car instructors.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
@tracktardicus good read , thanks as I also became proficient at fast times within tenths in my 2000 Mustang Cobra R (#192); as I ran down hellcats and SS Camaros and others. I’ve not driven or even seen my GT350R yet , and will gladly except the challenge of becoming proficient with PP011 and looking for some low track times . Anyone else Autocross one of these? How did you set it up? Vs open track ?

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
What happened to the original poster? Surely Ford has something to report by now.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking a lot of great car enthusiasts are following this thread and while we are waiting for the original posters next post ? What’s the best build for my original 1965 289 w a 4speed & 4:11 gears ?? engine to a solid lifters sounding 350 hp? ? Twisted wedge heads?or ? 10:1 compression 53 cc heads ? Or ? Duel plane intake ? Who’s? Can research solid lifters cam ? Or ? I want it to sound like it lopes so bad at s stoplight that you’d be scared to run me ? Lol

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not saying that this is what you did OP, but I do wonder how many of these failures are "money shift" related.

We'll never know unless someone is willing to admit it.
Owners attempting 'money shifts' should not be blowing these motors. They are supposed to be designed to handle shifting at or near redline without imploding. I love my Voodoo but it should be able to handle a beating. I always ensure I've been at proper temps for a little while before going anywhere above 3000-3500

Sponsored

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
Owners attempting 'money shifts' should not be blowing these motors. They are supposed to be designed to handle shifting at or near redline without imploding. I love my Voodoo but it should be able to handle a beating. I always ensure I've been at proper temps for a little while before going anywhere above 3000-3500
According to the many replies, a money shift refers to missing 4th and hitting 2nd instead, which over revs the engine costing you money when it blows. I hope owners aren’t attempting money shifts, but some might have accidentally done it.

It is a confusing term, for sure...

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
According to the many replies, a money shift refers to missing 4th and hitting 2nd instead, which over revs the engine costing you money when it blows. I hope owners aren’t attempting money shifts, but some might have accidentally done it.

It would be a poor oversight on Ford if they had no way of knowing or recording into memory if the engine has been over-revved before.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

I would be very surprised if there isn't a maximum RPM value saved somewhere. If hitting 2nd instead of 4th (for example) damages the engine, its due to the over-revving. I would think a manufacturer would want to know if the engine was massively over-revved for warranty reasons. Is there a sensor that reads actual crank RPM?

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I would be very surprised if there isn't a maximum RPM value saved somewhere. If hitting 2nd instead of 4th (for example) damages the engine, its due to the over-revving. I would think a manufacturer would want to know if the engine was massively over-revved for warranty reasons. Is there a sensor that reads actual crank RPM?
Porsche's has had this kind of thing for over 10+ years.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The engine can handle all kinds of use - "abuse" is difficult to achieve on these engines because there are so many guardrails in the ECU to prevent overheating or over-anything else for that matter. As @TxGT350-52 said, a "money shift" is when you're downshifting and you manage to spin the engine over the redline when you release the clutch. It can happen because you either started the shift too early and were going too fast for the gear you chose, or because you aimed for one gear and got a different one. In either case, it can be very expensive. Porsche and BMW ECU's have an over rev detector that dealers can read. Ford, may have one, although I've never seen it when I was working on mine.
Sponsored