My 2020 GT 350 Engine Blew today

BeastieDawg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Has nothing to do with desirability. One look at a CarFax with that on it and I guarantee you majority of people will move onto the next listing. That’s why autotrader is so clogged on the top listings of high 30’s, low 40’s GT350s.
I hate to say this, but I dont think the engine change will go on the Carfax....sadly.

I recently went through a nightmare with my 2019 Lincoln Navigator that smoked the engine with less than 10k miles and had a oiling issue from brand new that I wasnt aware of. I Wanted the vehicle replaced and Lincoln told me to pound sand, that they would put a new engine in it and that was it. I complained to the dealer that no way would the vehicle be worth the same thing and if I got rid of if that it would be on the Carfax that it had the engine changed at 9k miles and the service manager said absolutely not. I told him I felt that was crummy, but he said that it was different than an accident.

They should replace your car or buy it back. Lincoln made me feel like they were going to do that, and a few days later said no. Very frustrating.
Sponsored

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have a buddy who lost his motor around 1000 miles on a 2020 GT350 as well. Valve issue - he pushed to have the dealer buy it back, instead they offered him $18k less than he bought it. He had the motor replaced and no issues thus far.

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350
57,400 miles on my 2017 GT350. My engine still works.

One thing I have done consistently since this car was brand new purchased with 2 miles:

- Warm up the engine when its cold properly. I have a very simple process that I follow. When car is cold, I start and wait for the CAT warm up process to finish (the cold start idle). Then I drive away and try to keep the revs at 3200-3800 rpm consistently. This is the rev range that has the quickest temperature trajectory for cylinder heads without putting a lot of pressure on them. Any RPM under and you run the engine with cold and very thick oil for too long. Any RPM too high and you again put too much pressure on the engine with very thick oil.

I check the oil every 1000-1500 miles. My car consumed 1 qt in that interval since brand new.

I changed oil every 3000-4000 miles except the first oil change at 500 miles.

I dont have a factual claim but my regimen makes sense. This car has a very thick 50 weight oil coupled with cold days and aggressive cooling, the oil does not reach to temp sometimes for 20 minutes. That is 100 pounds of pressure on that engine internals which is a lot.

I have been following this forum for 5 years now. And one common problem I detected with not all but large majority of these engine failures is the owners are not mechanically inclined people. Large portion of them are ex-GT owners or other muscle cars which required very little care. Just turn the key and hit the gas pedal. They dont understand the unique character of this engine. That coupled with the cost effective Ford engine is a combination for these engine failures.

This car is like the 997 Porsche GT3 or BMW S65 M3. Oil pressure, oil viscosity, cylinder temp, crankcase pressure are just much more sensitive. If you want to get in and just drive a sports car, look cool, and sound good, you are better of buying a car thats much simpler and a lot less sensitive such as the 5.0 coyote or camaro or a twin turbo german car.
Well this is how I treat my 2018 GT350. I have 4500 miles on it, recently did a oil change after a year. I was surprised to find that the motor did not burn oil.

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
I'm not saying that this is what you did OP, but I do wonder how many of these failures are "money shift" related.

We'll never know unless someone is willing to admit it.
Please elaborate on the term "money shift", so we can all be enlightened.

Sponsored

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
I have a buddy who lost his motor around 1000 miles on a 2020 GT350 as well. Valve issue - he pushed to have the dealer buy it back, instead they offered him $18k less than he bought it. He had the motor replaced and no issues thus far.
Just to be clear, they did not offer him an official "Buy Back", but instead offered to take his car off of his hands for $18K less than what he paid in a trade-in? They probably did not want a car sitting on their lot with a replacement motor...

Vectors2Final

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 BL Navi L/19 GT350 Ruby
Is that some sort of sarcasm?

Here is the long-winded way to put it if you're being serious. I don't think this tremec has a high gear lockout, right? At least not that I could tell.

However, even with these electronic protection systems, a car is not prevented from redlining through inadvertent gear engagement. If a driver accidentally selects a lower gear when trying to shift up or selects a lower gear than intended while shifting down (as in a motorbike sequential manual transmission), the engine will be forced to rapidly rev-up to match the speed of the drivetrain. If this happens while the engine is at high rpms, it may dramatically exceed the redline. For example, if the operator is driving close to redline in 3rd gear and attempts to shift to 4th gear but unintentionally puts the car in 2nd by mistake, the transmission will be spinning much faster than the engine, and when the clutch is released the engine’s rpm will increase rapidly. It will lead to a rough and very noticeable engine braking, and likely engine damage. This is often known as a "money shift" because of the likelihood of engine damage and the expense of fixing the engine.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
So I'm thinking all this surprise about engine failures is due to hoping things got fixed that were problems in earlier models. Maybe they did fix some problems and we are now seeing different supplied parts failing. Time should tell us if they made any progress in having less cars need engines, keep in mind the number of engine failures for all of the previous years is not that high for such a high performance car. I know that doesn't help the people that end up with a bad engine.

Vectors2Final

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 BL Navi L/19 GT350 Ruby
I was being serious, so thank you for the details.
I’ve been working from home, so I’m a little stir-crazy.

Look this up on YouTube, it’s brutal. Not all of them are like that, but it’s a shitty situation.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Money shift is when you try to get to fourth and instead hit second gear while you gas it. The motor over revs, the valves float and hit the top of the piston. The valve springs can’t keep up. This was a big problem in the RSXS years ago. Acura quit replacing engines at some point due to stupidity of the drivers.

wolf32v

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
New cars will not over rev the computer does not let that happen. The only way around it is a tune.

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Keep us updated. Make sure to file a claim with Ford Customer Care and get a case number. It helps expedite the repair at the very least.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
We do have electronic rev limiters on over reving or going past red line accelerating before shifting. BUT if you downshift to a gear to low and let out the clutch , then your engine is Mechanically connected to the rear wheels and will buzz the engine beyond its capabilities and Bam

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Good point - nothing to mechanically stop car momentum from spinning the motor to crazy revs if a lower gear is hit by accident while accelerating or downshifting at higher speed to too low a gear.
Sponsored