Sponsored

My 2020 GT 350 Engine Blew today

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Shit, mine too. I’m pushing 2500 miles. Fingers crossed
So far, it's just low mileage failures. I'm about 4k miles into my new 2019 engine, no problems. Just went through the first oil change since the motor swap, so I'm going to monitor for oil consumption now.
Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
So far, it's just low mileage failures. I'm about 4k miles into my new 2019 engine, no problems. Just went through the first oil change since the motor swap, so I'm going to monitor for oil consumption now.
Thankfully, no consumption on mine yet. Where in CA are you, and which dealer did your swap?

Vectors2Final

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 BL Navi L/19 GT350 Ruby
I'm not saying that this is what you did OP, but I do wonder how many of these failures are "money shift" related.

We'll never know unless someone is willing to admit it.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
18K on my '16, no oil consumption. A friend of mine has 34K on his '16, no oil consumption.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
My 16 and 17 I had both used a quart at 3,000 miles. I had about 4,500 miles on both when I traded them off.

Sponsored

Yoops Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2008 Porsche GT3, 2002 BMW M5, 1988 BMW M5, 1985 Alpina B7 Turbo, 2003 LAndRover Discovery 2 Trek Edition #5
Steve I see you are a Ga Owner as well. So sorry you are going thru this - Is it also a valve related failure? Did the service light come on before you heard the sound or ?? my 19 has under 2k miles so far no issues...
I would not fret as Ford will take care of it. Just try to be patient with all hell breaking loose with the China Virus. I am curious if other GT350 owners with motor failures that get replaced, are they getting matched original motor VIN numbers to the replacement motors from Ford or a new motor VIN? I was just wondering how this gets managed.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Steve I see you are a Ga Owner as well. So sorry you are going thru this - Is it also a valve related failure? Did the service light come on before you heard the sound or ??
I would not fret as Ford will take care of it. Just try to be patient with all hell breaking loose with the China Virus. I am curious if other GT350 owners with motor failures that get replaced, are they getting matched original motor VIN numbers to the replacement motors from Ford or a new motor VIN? I was just wondering how this gets managed.

Its been said a million times......you do NOT get a matching block number with a replacement engine.

Yoops Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2008 Porsche GT3, 2002 BMW M5, 1988 BMW M5, 1985 Alpina B7 Turbo, 2003 LAndRover Discovery 2 Trek Edition #5
I did not know thanks - now I understand the buy back reason as well! that sux

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Its been said a million times......you do NOT get a matching block number with a replacement engine.
Which will barely affect the value as it's a factory replacement engine.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
57,400 miles on my 2017 GT350. My engine still works.

One thing I have done consistently since this car was brand new purchased with 2 miles:

- Warm up the engine when its cold properly. I have a very simple process that I follow. When car is cold, I start and wait for the CAT warm up process to finish (the cold start idle). Then I drive away and try to keep the revs at 3200-3800 rpm consistently. This is the rev range that has the quickest temperature trajectory for cylinder heads without putting a lot of pressure on them. Any RPM under and you run the engine with cold and very thick oil for too long. Any RPM too high and you again put too much pressure on the engine with very thick oil.

I check the oil every 1000-1500 miles. My car consumed 1 qt in that interval since brand new.

I changed oil every 3000-4000 miles except the first oil change at 500 miles.

I dont have a factual claim but my regimen makes sense. This car has a very thick 50 weight oil coupled with cold days and aggressive cooling, the oil does not reach to temp sometimes for 20 minutes. That is 100 pounds of pressure on that engine internals which is a lot.

I have been following this forum for 5 years now. And one common problem I detected with not all but large majority of these engine failures is the owners are not mechanically inclined people. Large portion of them are ex-GT owners or other muscle cars which required very little care. Just turn the key and hit the gas pedal. They dont understand the unique character of this engine. That coupled with the cost effective Ford engine is a combination for these engine failures.

This car is like the 997 Porsche GT3 or BMW S65 M3. Oil pressure, oil viscosity, cylinder temp, crankcase pressure are just much more sensitive. If you want to get in and just drive a sports car, look cool, and sound good, you are better of buying a car thats much simpler and a lot less sensitive such as the 5.0 coyote or camaro or a twin turbo german car.

Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
57,400 miles on my 2017 GT350. My engine still works.

One thing I have done consistently since this car was brand new purchased with 2 miles:

- Warm up the engine when its cold properly. I have a very simple process that I follow. When car is cold, I start and wait for the CAT warm up process to finish (the cold start idle). Then I drive away and try to keep the revs at 3200-3800 rpm consistently. This is the rev range that has the quickest temperature trajectory for cylinder heads without putting a lot of pressure on them. Any RPM under and you run the engine with cold and very thick oil for too long. Any RPM too high and you again put too much pressure on the engine with very thick oil.

I check the oil every 1000-1500 miles. My car consumed 1 qt in that interval since brand new.

I changed oil every 3000-4000 miles except the first oil change at 500 miles.

I dont have a factual claim but my regimen makes sense. This car has a very thick 50 weight oil coupled with cold days and aggressive cooling, the oil does not reach to temp sometimes for 20 minutes. That is 100 pounds of pressure on that engine internals which is a lot.

I have been following this forum for 5 years now. And one common problem I detected with not all but large majority of these engine failures is the owners are not mechanically inclined people. Large portion of them are ex-GT owners or other muscle cars which required very little care. Just turn the key and hit the gas pedal. They dont understand the unique character of this engine. That coupled with the cost effective Ford engine is a combination for these engine failures.

This car is like the 997 Porsche GT3 or BMW S65 M3. Oil pressure, oil viscosity, cylinder temp, crankcase pressure are just much more sensitive. If you want to get in and just drive a sports car, look cool, and sound good, you are better of buying a car thats much simpler and a lot less sensitive such as the 5.0 coyote or camaro or a twin turbo german car.
This is exactly how I treat my 2017. These are special motors that can take time to get ready for rough housing. I watch temps and pressure like a hawk.

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Which will barely affect the value as it's a factory replacement engine.
I think barely is putting it lightly...it’ll affect the value quite a bit.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I think barely is putting it lightly...it’ll affect the value quite a bit.
It's a GT350.. highly desirable. If one dude takes a pass cause of a warranty block, the guy behind him will pay the asking price.

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
It's a GT350.. highly desirable. If one dude takes a pass cause of a warranty block, the guy behind him will pay the asking price.
Has nothing to do with desirability. One look at a CarFax with that on it and I guarantee you majority of people will move onto the next listing. That’s why autotrader is so clogged on the top listings of high 30’s, low 40’s GT350s.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase