Sponsored

My 2017 taken without permission.... help!

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
LOL... pretty funny... NOT! You think this meme up all by yourself or did you waste an hour searching for it just to post it here and make you look like a jerk? On second thought, people like you probably save every meme they run across just to use them later... get a life!
You're a humorless turd aren't you?
francesjpg.jpg
Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
Like others have said there is a quick restart feature on the car. Once the car is started with the fob, it can be moved completely out of range and the car can be shut off and restarted if done so in a small time window. My dealer informed me of this when i bought the car and I don't think it works if the car is shut off and then the door is then opened, but if the car is running and you get out with the fob then quick restart still functions.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
This makes me think that If I'm driving and somone hits the start button to turn the car off will it shut off in drive or is it only when its in park?

OP
OP

CrayonBox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 5.0 Mustang LB OTT Silver LN Wheels
If you start the car with the key inside it it will take off and drive normally without the key.
I don't think you can actually start the car without the key being physically inside the car.
I was beside the open door of the car when we intentionally started it for the engine noise.
I was 3-4 metres away when he then closed the door and drove off in it!

Yes - the police are involved - not through my doing but a member of the public who witnessed the abusive driving - I was alleged initially as the driver.
IMO the car should check the FOB is inside before being able to drive off after the door closes or the brakes released or some other drive off trigger. Forget about restarting issue further up the road - it should have never left the initial scene of the crime in the first place!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
OK I just tried this on my '16. I started the car and then brought the key fob in my office about 50ft from car. Went back to car and turned it off. A msg came up saying 'Restart Now or Key is needed'. I hit the start button and it started up. Shut if off and started it back up again.
This. Once started with the key, you can drive the car as long as you want without the key. If you turn the engine off without the key you have a short period of time to restart it before you will be unable to do so without the key.

Ford has bent over backwards to keep someone from being stranded without their key.

Schism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Perf
Lessons:

1. Don't have no friends
2. Disconnect starter
Rule #1 works for me!

To OP; thanks for sharing this with the forum--I was under the assumption that the car would stall with distance separation from the key fob.
Guess it's time to install an auto-kill lanyard..

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This makes me think that If I'm driving and somone hits the start button to turn the car off will it shut off in drive or is it only when its in park?
I don't know what this park is of which you speak but a forum member posted you have to hold the start button for several seconds to get it to shut down while driving.

Maybe that's related to this rare "park" option you refer to because I accidentally shut the engine off once in the beginning while driving and I did NOT hold the button down; I was reaching for something and hit it by mistake.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
If I remember correctly you can shut it down while moving at low speed but once you hit some magic mph you have to hold the button for a few seconds. I have not been brave enough to try this and verify however.

AlexhadanM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Blue
When I had a BMW i3 I let my friend take it out while I had the keyfob, he drove over a mile and it didn't shut off don't know why.

Sponsored

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
When I had a BMW i3 I let my friend take it out while I had the keyfob, he drove over a mile and it didn't shut off don't know why.
I assume it's for security reasons. What if for some reason the car is on and you drop the key fob and drive away? Can you imagine if the car shuts down at 40+ mph in the middle lane?

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
I assume it's for security reasons. What if for some reason the car is on and you drop the key fob and drive away? Can you imagine if the car shuts down at 40+ mph in the middle lane?
yeah or if the battery dies

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
It's funny I see this post. I had an incident yesterday to be exact. I unlocked my car to get some thing out in the morning. Forgot about my keys and when I had to leave I turned car and drove off. Got gas went to tire shop had two tires replaced and drove home all without my keys.. I didn't know I didn't have my keys till I was back at home locked out. I couldn't beleive either that I could start and shut off my car without the fob anywhere near. I'm guessing everything was working because I unlocked the car. But what leads me to beleive it is something else is it didn't do that before. Before it would ask for fob in order to start even if car was unlocked. Only thing I can think of is my Lund tune made something malfunction with fob and security system while car is unlocked. Sorry if someone answered this. I didn't read all the other pages. But I did read most of this last page and it seems my incident proves some of your theory wrong. I was gone from the fob for a long while.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I hate all the technologies in cars nowadayz.

OP
OP

CrayonBox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 5.0 Mustang LB OTT Silver LN Wheels
The moral of the story of all this for me is - Do not to let someone start my car that I'm not comfortable driving the car. Pretty clear and simple to me. :thumbsup: And, I'm pretty sure the same would apply if we were talking about a car with physical keys.

I don't want (or expect) the car to shut off without the FOB and I like the idea of being able to restart the car quickly if I for some reason don't have the FOB on me.

FWIW - To me, this entire situation sounds like a misunderstanding between friends, not a stolen car situation. I can understand that if a friend was told to start a car they might presume you want (or at least don't mind) them to take it for a spin. :shrug: Not saying I would take it for a spin without clear consent, but I can understand how consent might be assumed by someone in a similar situation. And, I think a strong swift smack upside the friend's head for a stupid assumption is in order. :paddle:

Again, I wouldn't let a "friend" start a car of mine if I wasn't okay with them driving it.

But, clearly not everyone sees this situation the same way.
Not a misunderstanding at all.
The recording on the dash cam makes it quite clear when the driver says something to indicate that he was going to take the car, and knows he didn't have permission.

I will not allow people to sit in the drivers seat anymore unless they have my permission to drive the car.

I don't see why so many people here are speculating on things without actually asking me the question first - please ask me first.

I really did not have a clue that my - let's now call him a past acquaintance - was going to STEAL the car - yes it was theft... When it is unauthorised use and driving in a manner where permission was not given. Basically it comes down to theft and joyriding.

I am hurt by this, so please be sensitive! I am only trying to make this clear so that no one else has to experience similar incident.
Sponsored