Sponsored

My 2017 taken without permission.... help!

MK5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic
Sorry to hear about the terrible experience.

After reading through the responses, I'm also wondering then, why does the horn honk if you step too far away from the car when it is running? If it doesn't monitor the location of the fob, then what is going on? :shrug:
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Sorry to hear about the terrible experience.

After reading through the responses, I'm also wondering then, why does the horn honk if you step too far away from the car when it is running? If it doesn't monitor the location of the fob, then what is going on? :shrug:
It honks when you shut the door without a key inside.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I feel like I need to test this on my car. You shouldn't be able to take off without the key fob.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Really? The chance of your car getting stolen is less than some random interference shutting down your vehicle while it's in motion? I'd love to see stats on that.

I mean, you have 20 seconds to restart, what if it's someone who isn't used to your vehicle, you aren't a subscriber to M6G forums, etc. and you don't respond in 20 sec? Result is the same, right?
RF interference was the major hurdle to keyless cars. In the early days they wanted operation as you describe but quickly found out that they had to allow for packet drops and power consumption. The solution, for now, is to ping the FOB upon start request and certain events (door closing, unlock request, &c.). Think of it more like using a mechanical key in the 60's and 70's, but not mechanically. Once the vehicle is running the key can be removed and put back in your pocket (at least many of them could). The vehicle continued to run until you intentionally shut it off (and the ignition cylinder locked). Otherwise you could bump the starter with or without the key in case the engine stalled.

As far as the 20 seconds go... There is a big alert box that appears in the dash stating how long you have to restart the vehicle before "quick start" is disabled. I think its a valid assumption that the vehicle operator can read.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
if it lets a thief drive your car to the chop shop before they can no longer start the car, what use is it?
As long as you don't let the thief in your car and tell him to start it with the fob right next to the car, you should be safe. ;)

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Why are you asking 6G for help? This is something that you need to figure out on your own. You invited the person into your car, and asked him to start it up, HELLO, Mcfly....
LOL... pretty funny... NOT! You think this meme up all by yourself or did you waste an hour searching for it just to post it here and make you look like a jerk? On second thought, people like you probably save every meme they run across just to use them later... get a life!

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
Nothing like a good old fashioned key. My favorite is the VW knife key.

The advantage that I have with my Stang is that it's stick-shift and all of my closest friends and most of my cousins (except 1 that I trust) don't know how to drive manual :D

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I feel like I need to test this on my car. You shouldn't be able to take off without the key fob.
If you start the car with the key inside it it will take off and drive normally without the key.
I don't think you can actually start the car without the key being physically inside the car.

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
If you start the car with the key inside it it will take off and drive normally without the key.
I don't think you can actually start the car without the key being physically inside the car.
No, you cannot. The key needs to be past the door thresholds to work. I think OP was standing IN the threshold which allowed the car to start.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
No, you cannot. The key needs to be past the door thresholds to work. I think OP was standing IN the threshold which allowed the car to start.
OP also let the friend started the car so it's not really the cars fault. He practically "gave" the key to his friend.
Don't start the car with someone else sitting in it he won't have a problem.
But yea his friend is a dick without asking.
However how was he able to restart it without the fob is the question.

Sponsored

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
OP also let the friend started the car so it's not really the cars fault. He practically "gave" the key to his friend.
Don't start the car with someone else sitting in it he won't have a problem.
But yea his friend is a dick without asking.
However how was he able to restart it without the fob is the question.
See the "Quick restart" feature in your manual or see the posts above for why it happens. It is meant mostly for manual cars.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
See the "Quick restart" feature in your manual or see the posts above for why it happens. It is meant mostly for manual cars.
I guess it's a safety feature.
I guess its for if your are driving to a location and suddenly remembered you left the key at home or the key is not working, it lets you restart right away so you can get back home to fetch it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/PP
The moral of the story of all this for me is - Do not to let someone start my car that I'm not comfortable driving the car. Pretty clear and simple to me. :thumbsup: And, I'm pretty sure the same would apply if we were talking about a car with physical keys.

I don't want (or expect) the car to shut off without the FOB and I like the idea of being able to restart the car quickly if I for some reason don't have the FOB on me.

FWIW - To me, this entire situation sounds like a misunderstanding between friends, not a stolen car situation. I can understand that if a friend was told to start a car they might presume you want (or at least don't mind) them to take it for a spin. :shrug: Not saying I would take it for a spin without clear consent, but I can understand how consent might be assumed by someone in a similar situation. And, I think a strong swift smack upside the friend's head for a stupid assumption is in order. :paddle:

Again, I wouldn't let a "friend" start a car of mine if I wasn't okay with them driving it.

But, clearly not everyone sees this situation the same way.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
My point is - why didn't the car cut out without the FOB in it, and why did it restart 500m away?
If you let someone sit in your drivers seat, and you have the FOB in your pocket, be prepared for a possible nasty surprise if they decide to go joy riding and know how this works.
This is a warning for all of us who didn't know this before.

Do you follow now?
Relax hammer head, I just taking a piss mate.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I told him how disrespectful he was, and told him to go away, leave me alone and go home and grow up - I don't want to see you around anymore. And in stronger words by the way.

He left. The video is incriminating - and is pending investigation due to other circumstances. It also proves it was not me that committed the related 'offences'.

Wow, elaborate a bit more on the story if you can as I think you have sorted out how the FOB works now.

:popcorn:
Sponsored