Sponsored

My 2017 taken without permission.... help!

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
In your world, I guess you shouldn't need a key to start the car AT ALL, just to unlock the doors, pretty much the same effect...

IDK, IF you start the car and leave the property WITHOUT the fob AND you manage to stall the car in traffic, while taking little Eric/Erica to daycare, sounds like Darwinism at work to me... :thumbsup:
Did I say the car should start the first time without the FOB??? No, I did not. The car needs to be started with the FOB at least the first time in a drive session, but if you start the car and your wife drives it away while the key is in your pocket, you are basically saying they should be hurt because of a slight oversight(on your part I might add) in the chaotic world we live in. Good call! This is just 1 of a million situations that could happen.

There are too many variables and mistakes that can be made when the key is not physically locked in the ignition. Hell, for the sake of argument, if you start a car with a physical key and leave the car running, the car can still be stolen. The car is not going to say "Hey, you are not the owner" and shut off because it has a key in the ignition and is content knowing that. Same with the FOB except it is entirely possible to be forgetful and leave it outside the car. Same situation, same outcome, no car is being shut off once it is turned on intentionally regardless of what key technology is being used. At least with the case of the FOB, once the car is off for 30 seconds, it is not moving, if someone steals your car with the keys in the ignition, they can take it wherever the hell they want.
Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
it wont cut out with out the FOB. car only checks for the FOB on start up. It does not constantly read the fob. for a few reasons:
if the fob communicated the entire time u drove with your car your battery would be dead in about on drive.
2. fobs are subject to interference. It was tested out on the early C6 corvettes where it would shut off with out the FOB in the car during there development. And when drivers would drive under power lines Radio towers or near machinery or any thing that emitted a lot of interference the car would lose communication with the fob as its a much weaker signal even though its right inside the car. Causing the car to disable and leave the driver stranded.
I read somewhere and might even be on here, that the car will stop after 4 miles if the key is not read
And I have to be sitting in the car with the key in my pocket or in the cupholder for her to fire up.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Did I say the car should start without the FOB??? No, I did not. The car needs to be started with the FOB, but if you start the car and your wife drives it away while the key is in your pocket, you are basically saying they should be hurt because of a slight oversight(on your part I might add) in the chaotic world we live in. Good call! This is just 1 of a million situations that could happen.

There are too many variables and mistakes that can be made when the key is not physically locked in the ignition. Hell, for the sake of argument, if you start a car with a physical key and leave the car running, the car can still be stolen. The car is not going to say "Hey, you are not the owner" and shut off because it has a key in the ignition and is content knowing that. Same with the FOB except it is entirely possible to be forgetful and leave it outside the car. Same situation, same outcome, no car is being shut off once it is turned on intentionally regardless of what key technology is being used. At least with the case of the FOB, once the car is off for 30 seconds, it is not moving, if someone steals your car with the keys in the ignition, they can take it wherever the hell they want.
Sorry, IMO, once the car shuts off, it should stay off if the fob isn't in the car. Just be sure the wife (and the car) is fully insured....

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Redraven, I'm going to take a guess that you drive an automatic.

The quick restart feature is designed to allow a stalled car to be restarted in traffic regardless of a missing FOB or radio interference. While automatics don't stall as often as manuals, they still can.

Think of this scenario: Railroad tracks often parallel high-voltage lines in close proximity. RF noise from those power lines can inhibit the car's ability to detect the FOB without placing it in the special NFC reading cup holder. If your car stalls on those tracks, and your FOB isn't detected (or you started your car and left it at home)... don't you want that start button to work?

also, why would anyone start their car for a thief?

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium

The quick restart feature is designed to allow a stalled car to be restarted in traffic regardless of a missing FOB or radio interference. While automatics don't stall as often as manuals, they still can.

Think of this scenario: Railroad tracks often parallel high-voltage lines in close proximity. RF noise from those power lines can inhibit the car's ability to detect the FOB without placing it in the special NFC reading cup holder. If your car stalls on those tracks, and your FOB isn't detected (or you started your car and left it at home)... don't you want that start button to work?

Thank you! Someone understands my logic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I do. Last one was manual, and I did stall on occasion, but that one had an actual key. I would think that stalling the car and finding you left home without the fob would be a strong re-enforcement to NOT do that again.

I'd probably WISH it would, at the time but, honestly, I believe that, if the fob isn't in the car, it shouldn't. Again, it would certainly make you remember it next time, assuming, of course, that you get out of the car before the 8:07 Silver Streak arrives.

Dude, you're from Texas, wouldn't you just shoot out the tires? :cheers:

OP said they thought the dude was a friend. Not sure how all this comes into play if a thief starts your car with one of those gizmos that amplifies the RF from your fob in the house. Once the gizmo is out of range of the actual fob, can it still make the car 'think' the actual fob is present?

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Interesting thread, I had no idea the car could be started without the FOB??

Stay tuned on this one, let us know what Ford says about this. I would
not call him a friend
Ford will say: RTFM

Yep, I do. Last one was manual, and I did stall on occasion, but that one had an actual key. I would think that stalling the car and finding you left home without the fob would be a strong re-enforcement to NOT do that again.
And if they battery died in the fob? Too bad?

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Interesting thread. Learn some things and ....

I would of kicked the so called friends ARSE.

They're someone had to say it. Yup I'm the Internet tough guy but dam that guy needed a beating.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Sorry, IMO, once the car shuts off, it should stay off if the fob isn't in the car. Just be sure the wife (and the car) is fully insured....
This outlook is concerning. The chance of someone stealing your car is much less than some interference with a wireless device that could directly put someone life in danger.

To your point it's a car, and it's insured. Someone steals it, it can replaced. That might not be the case when you car shuts off in gear and locks ups the tires. I have seen this happen on a Toyota Tacoma whose engine seized. It was not pretty and it hurt alot of people and property.

Furthermore you could shut down alot of cars in a very violent manner if they allowed this with a directional antenna, putting out alot of noise.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
And if they battery died in the fob? Too bad?
yup! I had the battery go bad in one of my fobs, the car actually lets you know that the battery is low, before it becomes useless.

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Nice story...

1. The car won't or shouldn't start without the key fob inside the car. If it does, there's a problem with the proximity sensor, have Ford look at it.

2. The car will not shut down after a period of time without the fob, this is for safety reasons.
And..
3. You get 1 quick restart with out the FOB present in case you stall and need it restarted quickly.

Makes sense.

What about having a "safety" mechanism for someone hopping in your car and trying to steal it while you step out for one second. Like being able to hit the alarm button on the FOB and having that disable the car.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
This outlook is concerning. The chance of someone stealing your car is much less than some interference with a wireless device that could directly put someone life in danger.
Really? The chance of your car getting stolen is less than some random interference shutting down your vehicle while it's in motion? I'd love to see stats on that.

I mean, you have 20 seconds to restart, what if it's someone who isn't used to your vehicle, you aren't a subscriber to M6G forums, etc. and you don't respond in 20 sec? Result is the same, right?

Besides, what about a random electrical failure that would have the same result (the car shuts down while in motion)? Just happened to my kid a few weeks back when his alternator failed.

We could play the 'what if' game all day...

That might not be the case when you car shuts off in gear and locks ups the tires. I have seen this happen on a Toyota Tacoma whose engine seized. It was not pretty and it hurt alot of people and property.
What? I've had vehicles shut off, stall, whatever while in gear and moving; I've never had the wheels lock up. Never had the engine seize while the vehicle was moving though, so I can't really comment on that but, again, what's that one in a million?

Furthermore you could shut down alot of cars in a very violent manner if they allowed this with a directional antenna, putting out alot of noise.
Or, North Korea could lob that nuke at us, and the EMP would take out your key fob, but I'm guessing you'll have other fish to fry.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
What about having a "safety" mechanism for someone hopping in your car and trying to steal it while you step out for one second. Like being able to hit the alarm button on the FOB and having that disable the car.
+1 for a remote detonate button..... :D

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
First, I'd contact the police and report this idiot. Second, I'd find better friends. Third, I would have kicked this dou*he right in the vag*na when he came back.

It is concerning that the car would restart after a stall. My car won't even start if the FOB is on the passenger seat. The range also sucks. I can start my Escape from a block away but I can't unlock the doors on the Mustang from 35 feet away. I'd probably test it with a real friend and if it happens. call the dealer.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
First, I'd contact the police and report this idiot. Second, I'd find better friends. Third, I would have kicked this dou*he right in the vag*na when he came back.
+1

It is concerning that the car would restart after a stall. My car won't even start if the FOB is on the passenger seat. The range also sucks.
It's probably an extra security feature because GT350s cost so much more, you can't have them just being driven away by random a$$holes......:thumbsup:
Sponsored