Sponsored

My 2017 taken without permission.... help!

ASarsano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 5.0
My point is - why didn't the car cut out without the FOB in it, and why did it restart 500m away?
If you let someone sit in your drivers seat, and you have the FOB in your pocket, be prepared for a possible nasty surprise if they decide to go joy riding and know how this works.
This is a warning for all of us who didn't know this before.

Do you follow now?
it wont cut out with out the FOB. car only checks for the FOB on start up. It does not constantly read the fob. for a few reasons:
if the fob communicated the entire time u drove with your car your battery would be dead in about on drive.
2. fobs are subject to interference. It was tested out on the early C6 corvettes where it would shut off with out the FOB in the car during there development. And when drivers would drive under power lines Radio towers or near machinery or any thing that emitted a lot of interference the car would lose communication with the fob as its a much weaker signal even though its right inside the car. Causing the car to disable and leave the driver stranded.
Sponsored

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I have driven a few cars when I worked at the dealership with the fob in the customers hands before. I didn't realize it until of course I rode away and came back and had no keys. But either way, it's not something you have to have. If anything, I would've mashed a bunch of buttons on it to make the car go crazy and possibly shut off.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
Why are you asking 6G for help? This is something that you need to figure out on your own. You invited the person into your car, and asked him to start it up, HELLO, Mcfly....
:headbonk::headbonk:

krssrls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That needs to be fixed. the car should do random checks for the fob and if it's not detected it should start a count down till the car shuts off.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Lessons:

1. Don't have no friends
2. Disconnect starter

Sponsored

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Read the manual, it states in there you have a window of time to restart the car after a stall and it is called "quick restart". This allows the car to start even without the FOB as long as the car originally started with the FOB, you can only do this 1 time though before you need the FOB again.

As for the car running without the FOB inside, it would be EXTREMELY dangerous for the car to stall because there is no key. The car will run as long as you want without the FOB because it is assuming since you started the car with the FOB, you are not stealing the car. That is the better default than thinking the car is being stolen and shutting the engine off and causing a crash. Think about the simple situation where you go out to warm the car up, you start it then go back inside and forget the keys on the counter. You get to the end of the block and the car stalls at the intersection. You and your kids get T-boned by a semi who has the right of way, way to go Ford! You know why you don't see that? Because no manufacture would think it is safe to do so, almost all push button start cars do exactly what your car does.

The car restarting without the FOB during the "quick restart" period is designed like this for the exact same situation as described in the last paragraph, if you stall the car in an intersection and can't restart because of the FOB missing, you are going to be in trouble. The car is taking into account YOUR safety over the possibility of someone stealing your car. Cars are not important in comparison to your life, and lets be honest, 99 times out of 100 the scenario I described or something similar is what is happening when a FOB is missing, not someone stealing your car.

Last edited:

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
On a more serious note, I would understand if it doesn't shut down while the vehicle is moving for some reasonable amount of time but, if it lets a thief drive your car to the chop shop before they can no longer start the car, what use is it?

And, once the car shuts down, why allow it to restart at all without the fob?

IDK, that sounds a little screwy to me.

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
On a more serious note, I would understand if it doesn't shut down while the vehicle is moving for some reasonable amount of time but, if it lets a thief drive your car to the chop shop before they can no longer start the car, what use is it?

And, once the car shuts down, why allow it to restart at all without the fob?

IDK, that sounds a little screwy to me.
See my reply above^ It is all about YOUR safety.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
See my reply above^ It is all about YOUR safety.
I read your post and I get the safety issue with it shutting down while the vehicle is in motion.

iMO, once the vehicle shuts off, it shouldn't restart without the key fob.

I appreciate that, in theory, it could stall in traffic and not restart without the fob, but so what? At that point you probably already got rear-ended, t-boned, etc.

Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Interesting thread, I had no idea the car could be started without the FOB??

Stay tuned on this one, let us know what Ford says about this. I would
not call him a friend

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I read your post and I get the safety issue with it shutting down while the vehicle is in motion.

+2

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium

I appreciate that, in theory, it could stall in traffic and not restart without the fob, but so what? At that point you probably already got rear-ended, t-boned, etc.
Really? The 2 seconds it takes to restart the car you are already in an accident? I don't think this is usually the case. You sure as hell have a better chance of starting the car and getting out of the way than you would jumping out of the car, and god forbid you have a kid in the back you need to get out! It doesn't have unlimited restarts, but it does at least give you one last chance of not being hit. Ford is designing for worst case scenario as an owner, not the off chance someone steals your car.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Nice story...

1. The car won't or shouldn't start without the key fob inside the car. If it does, there's a problem with the proximity sensor, have Ford look at it.

2. The car will not shut down after a period of time without the fob, this is for safety reasons.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Really? The 2 seconds it takes to restart the car you are already in an accident? I don't think this is usually the case. You sure as hell have a better chance of starting the car and getting out of the way than you would jumping out of the car, and god forbid you have a kid in the back you need to get out! It doesn't have unlimited restarts, but it does at least give you one last chance of not being hit. Ford is designing for worst case scenario as an owner, not the off chance someone steals your car.
In your world, I guess you shouldn't need a key to start the car AT ALL, just to unlock the doors, pretty much the same effect...

IDK, IF you start the car and leave the property WITHOUT the fob AND you manage to stall the car in traffic, while taking little Eric/Erica to daycare, sounds like Darwinism at work to me... :thumbsup:
Sponsored