Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

V6mtl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I'm not a fan of it, but I wish it success.
Sponsored

fordmustangnerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
OK, finally saw the press conference schedule and the only thing FoMoCo has scheduled is a Lincoln press conference, so the thing that I “saw” will not be discussed at LA. Bummer. I’ll have to ask my source if I can say anything about it (and how much) now that Mach E has been revealed. Even though it is a different vehicle than Mach E, the information on it came out during a Mach E press preview.
Please say the true mach 1 or the bronco

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
because “car oriented” forums are usually enthusiasts. The market for this is someone like my parents. The ones that buy SUV’s and CUV’s that get better fuel mileage then his 18 RAM Limited daily or to replace his commuter car the 19 Optima Hybrid. Replace my moms 18 Santa Fe. That’s who they market to. Neither are on a forum, but both would love a SUV/CUV that could do 250+ miles and could be charged using their solar but in the price of their Optima.
I understand how the practical reasons would appeal to what I'm guessing is a middle-aged couple - SUV/CUV, miles per charge, and apparent pricing. What I'm not feeling is that they'd be conned by any ties to the Mustang.

Obviously they've been around for most of the Mustang's existence, if not for all of it. So I would expect their age group to have well established thoughts on what a Mustang has always been and that what they're most likely seeing as a tall station wagon just ain't it (station wagons having been the "utility vehicles" and the mom-mobiles in decades past).

Norm

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
If you look at the Mach-e the whole front isnt covered like on a Tesla. It has partitions that can be removed to have an internal combustion model.
With the platform being a skateboard condiguration, I don't think that's a possibility.

And then there is the question as to why would they put the mustang badge on it? I look at this as being a way for them to test the waters of the electric car market and get consumers to get accustomed to seeing a mustang as Cross over suv. I’m taking a logical approach not off “heritage”. The corvette heritage was front engine rear wheel drive. They changed it.
There was historical precedent for a mid-engined car in the Corvette story from the earliest years such that it would be considered part of the heritage.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why is it a big deal? The past vehicles are heritage by definition, this is the future. Just because it gets a name that shared with an older vehicle doesn't take away from the old or add to the present. Its just a name. I am 29 for those talking about age.
29 isn't old enough to see the downside of trying to force change in a long-standing association. I'm 72, and I can absolutely see my college-age granddaughters typing something similar.

You may have been aware of the commotion over the current Charger being a 4-door when the car it seeks to evoke memories of was always a 2-door. What Dodge did there to a nameplate that had been in hibernation pales in comparison to what Ford is trying to do here to one of the industry's longest running nameplates.

I know you're not old enough to remember the "new Coke" fiasco of the 1980s firsthand.

Norm

Burnin' Rubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Domestic
I read about a rumor that a new generation "Mustang" was being developed based on the Explorer platform. I thought it seemed ominous but it makes sense now. Does Ford have any business incentive to develop a car platform just for the Mustang coupe? A better plan would be to develop a platform for an all-electric Mustang coupe and use that platform to reintroduce passenger cars in their lineup.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Why is it a big deal? The past vehicles are heritage by definition, this is the future. Just because it gets a name that shared with an older vehicle doesn't take away from the old or add to the present. Its just a name. I am 29 for those talking about age.
I'm also 29 and I think it's retarded. I'm not sure what Ford is hoping to gain by associating the Mustang brand with this...thing.

• People who want a Mustang are going to go buy a (real) Mustang.
  • People who shop for CUVs don't spend $50k on one.
  • People who want electric cars buy Tesla, and those people typically do not like domestic/traditional brands anyway because it doesn't fit their projected eco-tech hipster lifestyle.
  • Baby boomers aren't going to buy this because Donald Trump convinced them that coal and oil is the only way.
  • People who are passionate about Mustangs aren't going to buy this because it's an aggressive departure from what they're used to and what they would expect to actually succeed the Mustang (an electric Mustang with 2 doors and be an actual Mustang).
  • Gen-z'ers (they drive now right?) won't buy this because "Mustang" is old, they probably don't want to be seen as supporting a brand that originated from fossil fuels as that wouldn't allow them to virtue signal, plus it's not self-driving.
  • People who like to be edgy don't buy from the big three

That leaves maybe some aging hippie Gen-X'ers who are eco-conscious and can easily adapt to change, people who like the idea of having a Mustang but could never own one out of practicality reasons and want to flex on their cookie-cutter subdivision neighbors who might happen to own Teslas ("Hey neighbor Joel, I see you got the new model Y - I've got that new electric Mustang GT, shall we compare brochures?"), and of course the obnoxious YouTubers who get anything new and controversial just so they can make some shitty videos about it for the internet points.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I read about a rumor that a new generation "Mustang" was being developed based on the Explorer platform. I thought it seemed ominous but it makes sense now. Does Ford have any business incentive to develop a car platform just for the Mustang coupe? A better plan would be to develop a platform for an all-electric Mustang coupe and use that platform to reintroduce passenger cars in their lineup.
I believe that was what S650 was originally intended to be. I’m not sure if Ford is still on that path, since they earlier announced that Mustang would stay on S550 at least thru ‘26 and then they’d decide. Doing Mustang and Explorer on the same platform would not require that Mustang as a coupe be dropped. Modern vehicle architectures have a lot more versatility than what we witnessed in the past. Building cars and SUVs on same platform is fairly commonplace these days. BMW X5 and 5-Series are on the same basic platform. Mercedes does the same thing. GLS and S-Class. GLC and C-Class. GLE and E-Class. Likewise, Cadillac CTS and Camaro are same platform. Neither is a truck or utility, obviously, but the size difference is definitely there. No reason Ford can’t do the same thing with Explorer and Mustang.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is a sad day for Ford and Mustang.
The executives and marketing department involved in this should be fired.
To mess with the Heritage and the legacy of the Mustang is disgraceful.

Every car person new what a Mustang was, even people who were a fan
of a different model, understood its place in history.

Now its just part of the ford line up, SUV, mustang 4 doors
trucks, etc. It was a road that should have never been gone down.

Shameful of them to stand up and call this a mustang.
Naming it Mustang is all about generating sales and anyone at Ford or anywhere else says different their lying.

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
The morning is here and this junk is still around.

I am depressed.

What a bunch of trash.

Men are men.

Women are women.

Mustangs are two door cars.

sscobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Complete disgrace to Mustang's heritage. 50+ years of Mustang, for this!! I showed my wife the pictures last night, she said, is that a "BUSTANG". Sad part is, she wasn't trying to be funny, it was just a normal reaction. I would like to nominate, "BUSTANG" as the official nickname of this piece of garbage....lol! F.O.R.D. (Failed On Research + Development) on this abomination.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also 29 and I think it's retarded. I'm not sure what Ford is hoping to gain by associating the Mustang brand with this...thing.
It's name recognition which translates into sales.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I'm not a fan of it, but I wish it success.
It’s not that we don’t like it at all.

We hate it because it is called something it can never be.

I do NOT wish Ford ANY success with it.
Sponsored