Mustang Interview!

ishaan.sharma

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ishaan
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
My name is Ishaan Sharma and I am a sophomore at A&M. For my English class we have to write a report on a topic of my choosing, and I am writing on whether Ford should keep their turbocharged 4 cylinder engine or go back to putting the V6 as an option in Mustangs model years 2015 and up.

I am giving this sheet to Mustangs I see around College Station and posting to forums so I can conduct some sort of interview and get some information back from the owners and maybe some Ford representatives which can hopefully help me on this project.

I can keep this information anonymous from your name if you would like. I just need your genuine opinion on your beautiful car.

• Please tell me a little about yourself. (Name, age, gender, hometown, how long you’ve had your Mustang, etc.)
  • Which engine is in your Mustang? (If you have a V8, you can disregard this entire sheet but let me know my namesake of being a car guy is revoked as I should have figured that out by looking at your car :p)
  • Do you like your Mustang? (Give me a 1/10, 10 being this car is worth more than your first born child, 1 being you could watch it burn and not care at all.)
  • If you could give your car one feature it did not have, what would that be? (Think in terms of your engine, would you want a super/turbocharger, bigger air intake, etc. Telling me you want heated seats doesn’t really help me here lol.)
  • Did you have any aspirations about doing aftermarket upgrades with your car?
  • How is the throttle response? (When you press the gas, how does the car react? Slowly, quickly, etc?)
  • How is the fuel economy?
  • Why did you buy this model of Mustang?
  • What was the dealbreaker between this Mustang and Mustangs with different engines? Is there a reason you picked the turbo 4 cylinder or the V6?
  • How does your car sound?
  • What is the worst problem you have had with your ENGINE?
  • How many miles do you have on your Mustang?
  • From a consumer standpoint, would you appreciate if future Mustang’s had a V6 or a turbo 4?
  • If you have V6, did you choose that because you wanted the naturally aspirated engine and bigger displacement and wanted to stay closer to a V8?
  • If you have a turbo 4, did you choose that because you wanted a turbo, wanted better fuel economy, and a smaller engine?
I really appreciate your time. To get back to me you can call me at 832-643-9171 or shoot me an email at [email protected]. Mustangs have always been a passion of mine, and while I don’t have one, I am sure I can reach out to the community that proudly carries around the Mustang badge to help me out.

Thanks and Gig ‘Em!

Ishaan Sharma | 832-643-9171 | [email protected]

Class of ‘23
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Sharma, I wish you luck on your English class. Obviously, I have a V8 and supercharged at that, so you may dismiss what I have to say. I will assume that this assignment does not require you to analyze the factual reasons Ford chose to replace the V6 with the turbo 4 cylinder. Your method of questioning could very well result in an outcome where the V6 and turbo 4 are equal.

Most of your questions are subjective; but, you said this is a report and I will take it that is different than stating a thesis and supporting it.

Sorry, I couldn't answer your "survey".

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
My name is Ishaan Sharma and I am a sophomore at A&M. For my English class we have to write a report on a topic of my choosing, and I am writing on whether Ford should keep their turbocharged 4 cylinder engine or go back to putting the V6 as an option in Mustangs model years 2015 and up.

I am giving this sheet to Mustangs I see around College Station and posting to forums so I can conduct some sort of interview and get some information back from the owners and maybe some Ford representatives which can hopefully help me on this project.

I can keep this information anonymous from your name if you would like. I just need your genuine opinion on your beautiful car.

• Please tell me a little about yourself. (Name, age, gender, hometown, how long you’ve had your Mustang, etc.)
  • Which engine is in your Mustang? (If you have a V8, you can disregard this entire sheet but let me know my namesake of being a car guy is revoked as I should have figured that out by looking at your car :p)
  • Do you like your Mustang? (Give me a 1/10, 10 being this car is worth more than your first born child, 1 being you could watch it burn and not care at all.)
  • If you could give your car one feature it did not have, what would that be? (Think in terms of your engine, would you want a super/turbocharger, bigger air intake, etc. Telling me you want heated seats doesn’t really help me here lol.)
  • How is the throttle response? (When you press the gas, how does the car react? Slowly, quickly, etc?)
  • What was the dealbreaker between this Mustang and Mustangs with different engines? Is there a reason you picked the turbo 4 cylinder or the V6?
  • How does your car sound?
  • What is the worst problem you have had with your ENGINE?
  • How many miles do you have on your Mustang?
  • From a consumer standpoint, would you appreciate if future Mustang’s had a V6 or a turbo 4?
  • If you have V6, did you choose that because you wanted the naturally aspirated engine and bigger displacement and wanted to stay closer to a V8?
  • If you have a turbo 4, did you choose that because you wanted a turbo, wanted better fuel economy, and a smaller engine?
I really appreciate your time. To get back to me you can call me at 832-643-9171 or shoot me an email at [email protected]. Mustangs have always been a passion of mine, and while I don’t have one, I am sure I can reach out to the community that proudly carries around the Mustang badge to help me out.

Thanks and Gig ‘Em!

Class of ‘23
You would do well to hear from ALL owners, particularly those who chose the 8 over the 4 or the 6 when it was available.

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
turbo v6 will be the "ecoboost" for the s650. Im calling it.
I would love to see that. There is an outfit that makes an adapter kit to fit ecoboost parts from the 3.5 v6 ecoboost to the 3.7. I almost did that to my v6 but I bought a GT instead. The v6 will never have that v8 rumble although it sounds good in it's own way. Fords problem with making an ecoboost v6 is it would steal sales from the 5.0 because you would get almost as much horsepower with better gas mileage so they'll probably never do that.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I would love to see that. There is an outfit that makes an adapter kit to fit ecoboost parts from the 3.5 v6 ecoboost to the 3.7. I almost did that to my v6 but I bought a GT instead. The v6 will never have that v8 rumble although it sounds good in it's own way. Fords problem with making an ecoboost v6 is it would steal sales from the 5.0 because you would get almost as much horsepower with better gas mileage so they'll probably never do that.
True..but..if they do a bigger more powerful v8..the difference could be substantial enough to not take away from the gt sales too much. Guess we will see

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
fixing the chassis and lousy factory suspension is always Job #1.
The factory tune on the V6 is an abomination. Throttle, well engine response was slow, labored and with egregious throttle-hang. Aftermarket tune fixed that completely.

The factory tune on the EB2.3 is sad and gutless. The motor falls on it's face somewhere around 5000 RPM and even though the boost needle is pegged the car can't get out of it's own way. An aftermarket tune FIXED it so
  1. boost was modest unless the engine could actually use it.
  2. revved clean and pulled hard all the way to redline

Conclusion - Ford can't write an engine tune worth a damn.

The only v6 that should make a comeback is the Ecoboost 3.5 since while the 2.7eb is actually quite good and spritely, there is no daylight between it and the 2.3eb. If Ford brings the 2.7 then the I4 needs to be given the heave-ho into the dustbin of Ranger duty and other lesser, nee 3rd-world applications.

who buys any Mustang for fuel economy?
The V6 was cheap and had very low miles and seemed like a good entrance into Mustang ownership. The I4 was bought because it's nose was 200lbs lighter and wanted a back to back driving comparison to the V8.

Last edited:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!

• Please tell me a little about yourself. (Name, age, gender, hometown, how long you’ve had your Mustang, etc.) 2nd mustang... owned it for about 3 years. First mustang was also a 4 cyl I owned in the 80s.
  • Which engine is in your Mustang? (If you have a V8, you can disregard this entire sheet but let me know my namesake of being a car guy is revoked as I should have figured that out by looking at your car :p). 4 cyl
  • Do you like your Mustang? (Give me a 1/10, 10 being this car is worth more than your first born child, 1 being you could watch it burn and not care at all.). 4. I sold it so... lol
  • If you could give your car one feature it did not have, what would that be? (Think in terms of your engine, would you want a super/turbocharger, bigger air intake, etc. Telling me you want heated seats doesn’t really help me here lol.). 2 to 4 more cyls
  • Did you have any aspirations about doing aftermarket upgrades with your car? I put a tune on it. Outside of that, worked on the sound (muffler work)
  • How is the throttle response? (When you press the gas, how does the car react? Slowly, quickly, etc?). Odd... sometimes it would lurch forward, depending on what drive mode I was in. It was not bad, but I did not care for it. It was great when giving it gas from a dig. It lacked in driving experience and throttle response due to the tune.
  • How is the fuel economy? Great - when driving like someone had sense. So I mostly got bad mpg.
  • Why did you buy this model of Mustang? I came from a 4 cyl Honda accord. Thought all I needed was a turbo 4. Car insurance factored in as well... and the car being cheaper. Fact is a 4 cyl is more than likely going to be cheaper to own over the long haul. I normally buy cars new and keep them for 8 to 10 years.
  • What was the dealbreaker between this Mustang and Mustangs with different engines? Is there a reason you picked the turbo 4 cylinder or the V6? The 4 was new and exciting (okay, that is marking talk... lol). I thought the 6 was going out the door. Dealer did not have many options in 6 cyls when I purchased anyway. 8 was more expensive and I really only wanted a "cool" convertible.
  • How does your car sound? It sounded like shit. No way around it. Well, it sounded okay until a V8 pulled up.
  • What is the worst problem you have had with your ENGINE? Oil leak. Learning my first tune voided the warranty.
  • How many miles do you have on your Mustang? Somewhere in the low 30s before I sold it.
  • From a consumer standpoint, would you appreciate if future Mustang’s had a V6 or a turbo 4? I would only buy a V8 mustang. Although, if a turbo 6 came out with electric assist I'd be all over it. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds... Ford would also need to fix the fit and finish of the interior!
  • If you have V6, did you choose that because you wanted the naturally aspirated engine and bigger displacement and wanted to stay closer to a V8? N/A
  • If you have a turbo 4, did you choose that because you wanted a turbo, wanted better fuel economy, and a smaller engine? Cheaper overall ownership. I wanted a cool convertible over wanting a "Mustang". If Honda had a convertible, I probably would have purchased that. For example, I have a BMW 435 convertible now... I've never wanted a BMW but I did want a hard top convertible. Few choices of car in a hard top convertible. 6 In the BMW is so lovely...
  • Also, no disrespect, but I think you missed the "social" aspects of owning a 4 vs. an 8. At car meets there are comments made about 4 cyl mustangs that honestly made me not want to participate.

Thanks and Gig ‘Em!

Class of ‘23
You should also post this in the 4 cyl forum. Many of them might not visit here....

I answered your questions in bold.... if you want to know about my build an other detailed information on why I sold the car, click the links in my signature.
Sponsored