Mustang GT vs. GT350

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
I have a 2016 silver GT with performance package that I love. But of course us guys like to go bigger, faster, better ... so I'm now looking at the GT350. Anyone else done that upgrade? If I can get a GT350 at sticker, it would cost me in the neighborhood of $35K with a trade-in of my GT. Is it really worth it? Will I notice a big difference?

This is a second car to a family SUV, but I drive my GT quite a lot. I've put 14.5K miles on it in the year and a half since new. However, I don't race at all, don't plan on going to a track or doing crazy mods. Just looking for some more fun.

All opinions welcome! Thanks.
Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
My GT350 is my daily driver but I've only owned it for a month. It's been an awesome 1,300 miles so far though. You should decide why you want the GT350, determine if it's worth it for you, and then do it. If you don't like it you can always sell with minimal loss.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just for daily driving on the street it's more of a tossup whether it's going to be worth it. The Voodoo engine is like a Coyote turned up to 11, but it's geared for the track, not for the street. I absolutely love mine and I drive it a lot. The real value of the GT350 is on the road course, though. If you aren't into turning corners I'm not sure it's for you.

You will notice a huge difference in the visibility to the front. I'm not sure on suspension feel of the PP vs. the GT350. I had a base GT and it always seemed mushy to me, but the GT350 suspension is amazing. Firm but never uncomfortable. It's great even on bumpy roads.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have a 2016 silver GT with performance package that I love. But of course us guys like to go bigger, faster, better ... so I'm now looking at the GT350. Anyone else done that upgrade? If I can get a GT350 at sticker, it would cost me in the neighborhood of $35K with a trade-in of my GT. Is it really worth it? Will I notice a big difference?

This is a second car to a family SUV, but I drive my GT quite a lot. I've put 14.5K miles on it in the year and a half since new. However, I don't race at all, don't plan on going to a track or doing crazy mods. Just looking for some more fun.

All opinions welcome! Thanks.
I would say based on what you have said no. Most of the fun of the car is well past the speed limit.

Last edited:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The issue is, the GT350 has long gears and the low end torque is lacking. It won't feel as peppy around town as your 3.73 GTPP until you get above ~4500 RPMs. First gear runs out above 55 MPH, meaning you can't legally touch the redline around town. The sound is glorious, and it is fun enough just manipulating the throttle to produce some great reactions. However the car really comes alive on the track and when it's really being thrown about. If you can afford it, absolutely do it as there is a large gap between the GT and GT350.

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I would say based on what you have said no. Most of the fun of the car is will past the speed limit.
I came from a 13 Boss to this car. I agree with this statement. While the 350 is superior and does everything better, Its "fun zone" is above most legal limits. Don't get me wrong, its fun, but I think the Boss was more fun driving around town 0-45 mph.

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I traded my 15 GT performance pack for mine and have zero regrets.

GT350 is unique in it's own special way.
It's kind of like a BMW 3 series Vs. an M3
You can have a really nice fully loaded 3 series. M package, tune, all the goodies.
But it's won't be an M3.

the GT is a great car for the price and if speed is what you are mainly after I would SC your GT and save the cash.

You can make a GT faster for cheaper, but there isn't anything you can bolt on to make it a GT350. It's the whole vibe of the car that makes it special.

and that is up to each person if the extra money for a GT350 is worth it.
It was for me.
Good Luck.

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
Definitely agree with @El-Diablo. I DD my GT350, have never tracked it, and despite my hopes and dreams, probably never will. But that certainly does not mean the GT350 is "not for me."

OP
OP
swish77

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Excellent responses, thanks! And that other thread is a fascinating read for a comparison between the GT PP and GT350. A lot to think about. I guess I should test drive a GT350, if a dealer will let me.

Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Perfectly complacent vehicle below 4k rpms. Once you hit 4k the fun begins, once you go past 6k, you start breaking the traffic laws with a permanent grin on your face.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I owned many mustangs and a 15 GT/PP that was tracked. owned the 15 for over a year and traded for my ordered 16 GT350 Track pack. Night and day difference both on the road and the track. Handing, feel, sound are amplified and astonishing really, especially on the track and even more with a track alignment. It is a visceral car and to me not even comparable to the GT. It is really an amazing car. I have now sold my 350 and picking up my R in 2 weeks : )

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I never had a GT so I can't compare the two. I did have a 2004 Pontiac GTO. I test drove a GT and didn't feel the GT was better enough to justify getting rid of my GTO. I did buy a GT350 and had to get rid of the GTO because I never drove it anymore. It was primitive compared the the 350. I suspect you might feel the same comparing a GT to a 350.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I went from 2015 GT PP after a year. The GT350 is a different driving experience. Like some say, it's not a red light driver in 1st. Some cars with 300 HP will stay with you off the line when they think its a racing.

I really like how the 350 stays on the road and takes corners. The sound and looks are way better than the GT. The compliments you get will remind you everyday of how special it is.

Is the price worth it (20K more)? Yes (resale), but not with negative equity.
:cheers:

OP
OP
swish77

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I went from 2015 GT PP after a year. The GT350 is a different driving experience. Like some say, it's not a red light driver in 1st. Some cars with 300 HP will stay with you off the line when they think its a racing.

I really like how the 350 stays on the road and takes corners. The sound and looks are way better than the GT. The compliments you get will remind you everyday of how special it is.

Is the price worth it (20K more)? Yes (resale), but not with negative equity.
:cheers:
Thanks! I'm seriously thinking about it, but it would be more like a $35K upgrade for me. I'm told trade-in value on my '16 GT PP (14.5K miles) would be about $25K-$26K. Ouch!
Sponsored