Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Challenger SRT8 (Performance)

PsyopGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Commuter cars
In terms of price the Mustang GT really competes with the Challenger 5.7 RT, but that's no contest.

The '15 Challenger 392 comes with 485 horsepower, which is likely well over what the '15 Mustang will have. But it also weighs about 500 pounds more.

Will the Mustang GT unseat the Challenger RT's big brother on the track and in a straight line?
Sponsored

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
Definitely on the track, and probably in a straight line. I believe they were pretty close in a straight line for MY '14 and I think the GT will be faster this year while the SRT only gained a few HP's. I don't think 30-40 horsepower will make up for 500 or so pounds.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I have no idea what the specs are, but I have to imagine that the Mustang Team has been eyeing the c7 corvette the entire past year. I know Ford's latest modus operandi has been not to compete directly with its previous competitors, but to look at the big name vehicles (such as BMW and Lexus).

Again I have no proof at all of this; I'm just saying don't be surprised if the 5.0 ends up putting similar numbers to Chevy's 6.2L monster. If that's the case, then even in a straight line the GT will compete against the SRT8.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Should be interesting, I really wish Ford would release the HP/TQ numbers SOON.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
I have no idea what the specs are, but I have to imagine that the Mustang Team has been eyeing the c7 corvette the entire past year. I know Ford's latest modus operandi has been not to compete directly with its previous competitors, but to look at the big name vehicles (such as BMW and Lexus).

Again I have no proof at all of this; I'm just saying don't be surprised if the 5.0 ends up putting similar numbers to Chevy's 6.2L monster. If that's the case, then even in a straight line the GT will compete against the SRT8.
My thoughts exactly, that lt1 will be a force to be reckoned with. I'm guessing low 12's for both the gt and the srt8 for magazine tests. Maybe an 11 here or there on the fast track hero runs.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I have considered the 392 shaker/SRT? as well. Based on current numbers of the Stang and SRT, I'd say the new ones will be pretty similar in a straight line, with the softer suspension versions (not the track pack 392's and GT PP's) having a drag strip advantage. Both have hugely improved awesome interiors.

Add a turn into the mix and the two cars are probably going to continue to be extremely different. Having driven the 14 392 and Boss 302, I will say they are as different as a Raptor and a Dodge Powerwagon - both outdoorsy offroad worthy trucks but different niches.

If you like AutoX, twisties, track worthy and fast car with a tighter easier to park package (along the spiritual lines of the E92 M3), go with the Stang - it's an all rounder and I found the 5.0 to be more responsive. If you want a cruiser with space, superb comfort and 0-60 performance (and dont live in a city!), go with the Challenger - the engine is a beast but lazier. You cant go wrong with either - but expecting the Challenger to dance will lead to disappointment. The 392 also I believe has a ECU lock that has not been cracked (I might be wrong now) and a much smaller aftermarket.

One thing I dont like about the Chally is that its built of a turn of the millennium Mercedes E class chassis, updated no doubt but still. Hence the weight, dimensions etc. I want the latest bones when I spend money on a new car, not an old chassis with a new (nice IMHO) skin and interior - and new bones is what you get with the Stang. I wouldnt get an Auto Stang though - I'm sure they will do an 8 speed like the Dodge in a future refresh and those ZF 8 speeds are brilliant. 6 spd MT OTOH is timeless and I want to row my own anyway!

Daddy Rolling Stone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang convertible
I have considered the 392 shaker/SRT? as well. Based on current numbers of the Stang and SRT, I'd say the new ones will be pretty similar in a straight line, with the softer suspension versions (not the track pack 392's and GT PP's) having a drag strip advantage. Both have hugely improved awesome interiors.

Add a turn into the mix and the two cars are probably going to continue to be extremely different. Having driven the 14 392 and Boss 302, I will say they are as different as a Raptor and a Dodge Powerwagon - both outdoorsy offroad worthy trucks but different niches.

If you like AutoX, twisties, track worthy and fast car with a tighter easier to park package (along the spiritual lines of the E92 M3), go with the Stang - it's an all rounder and I found the 5.0 to be more responsive. If you want a cruiser with space, superb comfort and 0-60 performance (and dont live in a city!), go with the Challenger - the engine is a beast but lazier. You cant go wrong with either - but expecting the Challenger to dance will lead to disappointment. The 392 also I believe has a ECU lock that has not been cracked (I might be wrong now) and a much smaller aftermarket.

One thing I dont like about the Chally is that its built of a turn of the millennium Mercedes E class chassis, updated no doubt but still. Hence the weight, dimensions etc. I want the latest bones when I spend money on a new car, not an old chassis with a new (nice IMHO) skin and interior - and new bones is what you get with the Stang. I wouldnt get an Auto Stang though - I'm sure they will do an 8 speed like the Dodge in a future refresh and those ZF 8 speeds are brilliant. 6 spd MT OTOH is timeless and I want to row my own anyway!
Very well put.

S550Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
My 2012 SRT8 Charger had an intake, full exhaust and a tune and was WAY faster than my 2016 GT. Even stock, i think my SRT8 could take my 16GT... Now, that is stock. There is not much of a huge bolt-on market for the 6.4's (reasonably priced) so for a relatively small amount more I can have a much faster car. Thats why I went with the Mustang and the coyote platform. I was never much of a dodge fan, but the SRT8 was definitely a very nice ride. The "extra's" in that car went way beyond what ford would ever offer. Electric adjustable pedals, adaptive rain sensor wipers, auto high beam, the electronics were top notch.. hell, it even had headed and cooled cup holders... Even with all that, I like the mustang much better!

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
The Necromancer cometh.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
On the road coarse, city driving mustang will dominate. Its more nimble and easy to change directions in an instent. Straightline depends if the challenger is auto 8 speed. My car is stock and i gave a stock scat pack 3 car lengths from 40 mph pull, however the scatpack driver was pretty heavy my guess is around 300 lbs. Our weight differences with full tank of gas was more than 500 lbs. They are awesome looking cars though, classic mean muscle car and its only meant for tire shredding.

In the near future if Dodge makes them loose weight, then that 6.4 lt hemi will have no contest. Absolutely beasty engine. Imagine a 3700 lb cuda with 485 hp and 475 lbft.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Stock vs Stock the SRT is faster. Tuned 5.0 is a good run for the SRT.
Sponsored