Sponsored

Mustang GT Non performance pack 4 piston brakes - Track use

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
not necessarily. I got my belly pan for $130 at the local dealer a mile from me. They get parts shipped in every day. And it arrived next day to boot.
Nice, I'll have to check out my local dealer. I wish they made the belly pan compatible with all the spoilers so I can save $450 not having to buy the PP one.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah, I'm looking to get the Steeda control arms. They have a really good sale right now for the bearing version, but with Christmas coming they will have to wait. Hopefully by spring I'll have new camber plates, PP splitter and belly pan, and the control arms. Oh, and tires. I really want to start tracking the car this year. I was amazed how well the stock Brembos worked on the track last month, and I'm sure the cooling vents will make them even better.
I'm in about the same boat as you. Maybe a tad further along on the mods lol. My recent acquisition was cheap set of 11" track wheels and also a Schroth harness. Next up, RE71Rs. I plan to do mostly autocross and trackcross/tracksprint events next year. Perhaps one HPDE event, mainly so I can get a little instruction. For this I feel the RE71R is the best option since I don't plan on doing much continuous lapping with it. I've mulled around the prospect of Hankook RS4s for a more durable and still very fast option. But I can't just pass up the RE71R. All reviews say the steering feedback, amazing grip and handling balance is still unmatched by the other competitors in the category.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in about the same boat as you. Maybe a tad further along on the mods lol. My recent acquisition was cheap set of 11" track wheels and also a Schroth harness. Next up, RE71Rs. I plan to do mostly autocross and trackcross/tracksprint events next year. Perhaps one HPDE event, mainly so I can get a little instruction. For this I feel the RE71R is the best option since I don't plan on doing much continuous lapping with it. I've mulled around the prospect of Hankook RS4s for a more durable and still very fast option. But I can't just pass up the RE71R. All reviews say the steering feedback, amazing grip and handling balance is still unmatched by the other competitors in the category.
RE71R are what I'll be getting. I decided to go with 10" wheels and ordered the R350's during LMR's sale this week, so I'll be running 285's on them. I also want to add some lighter 2 piece rotors in the future. Since I bought an extended warranty I want to keep the powertrain stock, so my next best option is cutting some weight where I can.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
aerok

aerok

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Premium Tremec 3160 Torsen 3.73 Diff
After reading all the comments I made some basic mods and am glad to share with you guys the results

I keep my stock 4 piston calipers, stock inverted rotor design

Ive changed
Brake fluid to Motul RBF 660
Brake pads to Hawk DTC60 all around
In addition put on Pirelli Trofeo R

After 5, 30 mins hits no issues at all with brakes, fluid did not boil and rotors work just fine at least for my level..

Next trackday 29th February. Ill let you know guys about any issue if applicable

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I've been pounding on the 4 piston calipers on track for the last 4 years. I'm consistently within the top 10% of whatever group I'm running, usually intermediate, but often advanced groups. I have only had one problem with these brakes, they faded badly at the end of a 120 mph back straight in my first year of track days. Post inspection showed that the pads were down below 25% pad material. I have not repeated that mistake.
I choose to run these brakes so that I can run my 18 inch winter tires in the off season.
I'm confused by the consistent bashing of these brakes on this forum. I flush the brake fluid at least once a year with RBF600 and run either Hawk or Powerstop track day pads and just don't experience any fade during 20 or 30 minutes sessions.
I could be because I'm in a slightly cooler area, it could be because I'm trying to stop 200 fewer pounds, it could be that I just don't get that fast with my little turbo 4, but other than the one time, I've never had an issue with these brakes.

OP
OP
aerok

aerok

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Premium Tremec 3160 Torsen 3.73 Diff
I've been pounding on the 4 piston calipers on track for the last 4 years. I'm consistently within the top 10% of whatever group I'm running, usually intermediate, but often advanced groups. I have only had one problem with these brakes, they faded badly at the end of a 120 mph back straight in my first year of track days. Post inspection showed that the pads were down below 25% pad material. I have not repeated that mistake.
I choose to run these brakes so that I can run my 18 inch winter tires in the off season.
I'm confused by the consistent bashing of these brakes on this forum. I flush the brake fluid at least once a year with RBF600 and run either Hawk or Powerstop track day pads and just don't experience any fade during 20 or 30 minutes sessions.
I could be because I'm in a slightly cooler area, it could be because I'm trying to stop 200 fewer pounds, it could be that I just don't get that fast with my little turbo 4, but other than the one time, I've never had an issue with these brakes.
I have a GT premium and so far so good...the pads made them perfect for my local track at the straight you only get like 180 kph (112 mph) is a twisty track (love it)

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
~5% less weight, and ~45% less power will do that.
Keep in mind that braking energy increases with the square of velocity and mass, so when the 200 lb heavier GT.
What that looks like is this- at turn 1 on my track, you'll brake from whatever to ~35 mph. In an ecoboost, you'll hit 105mph on the straight. Turning 705,000 joules into heat. In a gt, you'll hit ~120 mph, turning 1,375,000 joules into heat. Almost double the energy for 200 extra lbs and 15 extra mph.
That's why the 4 pistons work fine on the EcoBoost.

(Math was done assuming delta V of 29.9 m/s [105-35mph] and 1809kg for the ecoboost and 38 m/s [120-35] and 1909 kg for the GT. Aero forces were ignored.)

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
That's why the 4 pistons work fine on the EcoBoost.
Not always. First time I took my EB PP to Road America I boiled the fluid after 4 laps, with ambient temps in the 40s. If you are an experienced driver (20+ years for me), and you push these brakes hard, they will not hold up well in any S550. No issues since I switched to GT PP brakes.

mustang123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have been told basically do not track the base GT 4 piston calipers without fixing the front rotor design. Some track guys have done this and found themselves suddenly with no braking power after one hard lap although YMMV. I have also been told that if you fix the rotor design with something like the Steeda or Baer Eradispeed and pair with a good set of track pads you're probably okay. The base GT calipers are actually pretty good just the rotor design is wrong. But, the 6 piston Brembos are better. I surmise the main issue is cooling. As long as you are able to get some cooling to brakes, you should be fine until you become faster and also doing longer sessions. Overall 6 pistons are better, but I don't think there is a problem running the 4 pistons for awhile, especially if you are not that fast yet.

I did Steeda slotted rotors all around and G-LOC pads. With the correct rotor, good track fluid and pads I think you'll be okay. That said for all that, 6 piston Brembos are a cheaper and better option. The reason I did what I did is because the Brembos won't clear my stock 18" rims, which I was not ready to get rid of.

I plan on swapping to the PP front undertray in the spring which has airflow channels which helps cool the brakes. And from the recent discovery from the Vorshlag thread, it's been shown that air deflectors can be used in conjunction with the undertray airflow channels to create more cooling than actual ducting would, funneled right to the rotor. In summary, I believe if you can adequately cool the brakes 1). change front rotor to proper vented design 2). get air to the brakes and also using high temperature pads and fluid that can take the track abuse, the 4 pistons should be more than satisfactory for most people. However, the 6 piston Brembos will give more stopping power and added consistency and pedal feel.
Agreed. I know people keep saying Brembo take offs are cheap to get, don't waste money on better pads/rotors for the stock GT setup, they forget that the Brembos require a new set of wheels and tires, which are 2.5k
Sponsored