Sponsored

MT82 vs MT82 D4 shifting feel and effort

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Hey everyone,

I currently own a 2017 PP GT, had it for about a year and a half now. Today I decided to head to a local dealer to test out a 19 base non PP manual they had on hand. 1st impression is the D4 felt so much lighter and shifted effortlessly compared to my 2017, which has a much heavier feel and resistance shifting into gears, especially 2nd. So my question is;

Is the D4 actually improved in this aspect?
Could it be that my 2017 is just more abused and therefore more getting clunky with more worn out syncros? it does tend to nibble gears when cold.
Variation in manufacturing/build quality

Mine has 21K miles, the 19 had about 16K.

thanks everyone, sorry if this is posted or asked way too often.
Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
It's a different version of the mt82 so my guess is they aren't going to feel exactly the same

SRF2019gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2014 Mustang GT Base
I owned a 2014 with the MT82 and now have a 2019 with the D4. Yes, the new version does shift better to me. The old one wasn't all that smooth. However, the old one's gear ratios are preferable...to me the new version gears are too long. Great for fuel mileage but off line performance is not as great.

OP
OP

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
I did some experimenting with shifting techniques. I have been double clutching it to upshift, doing so has almost gotten rid of the resistance going into all gears other than 2nd which will still nibble, but noticeably less, maybe the syncros are indeed not in the greatest shape.

I wonder if replacing with BG syncro shift will do any good? probably just a band aid?

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The D4 is a better transmission. However, 4th is 1:1, so you have very long gearing. Especially if you don't buy the PP you may or may not like it. I loved my '19 Bullitt including the transmission, but absolutely hated the long gearing.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
D4 is fairly different internally, plus the stock clutch with the d4 is a twin disc unlike the older cars. I think it feels great. The long gearing is unfortunate from a performance perspective, but great from a daily driving perspective. It's also fun to me to wind out 2nd getting on highway on ramps.

Can always re gear the rear end to make it more like the older cars.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Uh, I mean I hated the long gearing until I put the Whipple on....

Oxford19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0GT PP
I have a 19 PP car and I will say that IMO it feels great. Nice positive engagement feel, haven’t experienced any lockout or any of the other horrible stories I’ve read about only after I purchased the car lol. We’ll see how it holds with the Vortech going on shortly, but I don’t bang gears so hopefully all stays well for a bit.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I have a 19 PP car and I will say that IMO it feels great. Nice positive engagement feel, haven’t experienced any lockout or any of the other horrible stories I’ve read about only after I purchased the car lol. We’ll see how it holds with the Vortech going on shortly, but I don’t bang gears so hopefully all stays well for a bit.
The Vortech with that gearing will make for an excellent track car in my opinion...

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
D4 is fairly different internally, plus the stock clutch with the d4 is a twin disc unlike the older cars. I think it feels great. The long gearing is unfortunate from a performance perspective, but great from a daily driving perspective. It's also fun to me to wind out 2nd getting on highway on ramps.

Can always re gear the rear end to make it more like the older cars.
I sometimes feel like the PP gearing is a tad short for highway cursing. 5th is too short, 6th can be a tad longer. 6th is almost useless for city cursing. The non PP 15-17 probably has the best ratio spread. I did notice when I was test driving the 19 non PP that I never needed higher than 4th, 5th 6th as you guys already said are just 2 overdrives, probably awesome for highway though.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I sometimes feel like the PP gearing is a tad short for highway cursing. 5th is too short, 6th can be a tad longer. 6th is almost useless for city cursing. The non PP 15-17 probably has the best ratio spread. I did notice when I was test driving the 19 non PP that I never needed higher than 4th, 5th 6th as you guys already said are just 2 overdrives, probably awesome for highway though.
6th is really only useful on the non pp D4 when you cruise at 75 or above. The pp is probably just about right to use 6th for normal highway speed limits. Of course 5th and 6th give you shit for passing power, bit pretty good fuel economy. It's all a trade off

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Yeah, I forgot about that, lol. If you go FI it stops being a negative.
It's still a negative for me because 3rd gear goes to 130 so I basically have one gear change when I do a pull or zero gear changes which takes the fun out of it being a 6 speed. I will change my rear gears out if I decide to not go make 800+ hp, I think if you are na then 4.09 or 4.56 on 18 and up seems to be the go to. If you make 600 and up 3.73 or 3.55 would be good. I remember my procharged 15 pp with 3.73 was fun as hell, my 19 just is a meh driving experience

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I'll second the 2nd gear pull onto the interstate being fun. I like the way it shifts, and 6th is only used once in at 80 or better and setting cruise. 4th is great around town, especially in the 45-50 mph range.

I get both sides of 3rd gear, but when I roll raced two camaro SS's at around 40 in second, it was nice to only have to shift once as I pulled away from them ;)

It does have a little nibble on cold mornings, and notch, but as it warms up it seems to behave better.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Agree. I test drove my '21 GT not knowing what the heck to expect from all the talk about shifting. After going through three gears during the test drive I knew I could live with this car easily. No lock out issues and I can make very quick shifts high RPM.
Sponsored