MT82 Trans Very "Jerky"

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
Not matter how long I let the car warm up the first few miles I cannot shift that thing smooth to save my life. Always jerking me around and it makes me look like I cant drive stick. Very annoying. It goes away and becomes much less noticeable. But will still be hard to keep the shifts as smooth as I'd like them to be. Seems to be mostly from 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The 3-4 and 4-5 are much easier to keep smooth. So what's the solution? New trans fluid? Rear differential fluid? New Clutch? All of these above?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
fluids. make sure your cylinders are bled and the too short by 2" host is securely zip-tied to the barbed nipple.

OP
OP
Syphon5.0

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
fluids. make sure your cylinders are bled and the too short by 2" host is securely zip-tied to the barbed nipple.
Car just hit 60k miles and who knows if the pervious owner even even changed the fluids before I got it. Wouldn't do the work myself. Prob best to bring to the dealership Id imagine. Change just trans fluid or rear differential as well?

OP
OP
Syphon5.0

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
Also.. what fluids would you recommend? Stock fluids or something else?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
These cars have horrible rev hang the first few minutes after a cold start. Try shifting more slowly.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Change just trans fluid or rear differential as well?
both and full brake and clutch master - it runs off the same supply. Ford fluids are fine. Though OP Mustang has a nifty ready-made kit for a good price. Some of us used Royal Purple.
https://www.opmustang.com/store/c3/TRANSMISSION_-_DRIVELINE.html#/

if you have rev-hang a tune fixes that right up. And/or don't just pop the clutch on your shift and 'slide' it a fraction and make the transition a smooth one.

OP
OP
Syphon5.0

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
These cars have horrible rev hang the first few minutes after a cold start. Try shifting more slowly.
Tried that as well...actually this morning I left the damn clutch in for a good 4 seconds. Still jerked me forward after letting out the clutch slow.

OP
OP
Syphon5.0

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
both and full brake and clutch master - it runs off the same supply. Ford fluids are fine. Though OP Mustang has a nifty ready-made kit for a good price. Some of us used Royal Purple.
https://www.opmustang.com/store/c3/TRANSMISSION_-_DRIVELINE.html#/

if you have rev-hang a tune fixes that right up. And/or don't just pop the clutch on your shift and 'slide' it a fraction and make the transition a smooth one.
I am tuned by Lund right now the rev hang doesn't seem to be the issue it just jerks me around no matter how slow and smooth I shift.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
The spurving bearings are probably out of line with the panometric pham.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am tuned by Lund right now the rev hang doesn't seem to be the issue it just jerks me around no matter how slow and smooth I shift.
hmm glazed, warped or worse, partially ruined friction disk? Fluids at least are 'easy' but it may well be that some hardware needs replacing.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The spurving bearings are probably out of line with the panometric pham.
You work for HP's printing division do you?

Have a Spud at Westside drive-in on me and finish with an Edge beer.

OP
OP
Syphon5.0

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
hmm glazed, warped or worse, partially ruined friction disk? Fluids at least are 'easy' but it may well be that some hardware needs replacing.
Was thinking about getting a new clutch regardless but I'll try the fluids see if it helps and if it doesn't.. just get the new clutch anyways.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Always jerking me around
Welcome to 2010ish. This is the biggest complaint of the MT82 and no matter how much money you throw at it, you're not going to change its inherent design and flaws. You can improve on it sure with better fluid, clutch/pedal spring and a shifter, but it is what it is.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
1-2 is a pain at times, especially when cold. It shifts easier in Normal, Sport+ takes a little more attention for a smoother shift as you go through the gears. I still goof every now and then for a rough shift, but it isn't bad, it especially good if you hit a bump in the road while mid-shift lol. In sport+ I find pressing the clutch in with a very short pause and then rolling my foot pack on the accelerator and coming off the clutch at another pace works well. If that makes sense, you can make good smooth shifts in Sport + it just takes more effort than it should.

When I first got the car, my wife gave me a lot of side-eye on the shifts...
Sponsored