Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
We use a fluid called Syngear II. Its compatible with most ATFs, GL5s and synchromesh fluids. We recommend no more than 25% of it in a synchronized unit based on total volume. For the MT82, its about 2/3rds of a quart. It has chemicals in the fluid that adhere to the gears giving it some protection on its surface area but if used in too high of a concentration, the synchronizer rings struggle to clean it off the gear to slow it down for shifting. It works very well in warmer climates and in higher powered applications. We've used it for years in T5's, TR3650s and T56 models. We suggest using it with a Mobil 1 or Amsoil based product for best results.
Sponsored

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
We use a fluid called Syngear II. Its compatible with most ATFs, GL5s and synchromesh fluids. We recommend no more than 25% of it in a synchronized unit based on total volume. For the MT82, its about 2/3rds of a quart. It has chemicals in the fluid that adhere to the gears giving it some protection on its surface area but if used in too high of a concentration, the synchronizer rings struggle to clean it off the gear to slow it down for shifting. It works very well in warmer climates and in higher powered applications. We've used it for years in T5's, TR3650s and T56 models. We suggest using it with a Mobil 1 or Amsoil based product for best results.
I will look that up. Thanks!

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
I will look that up. Thanks!
Good stuff but don't put too much in the unit. We tried that with some high powered C5 Corvette synchronized T56s and they wouldn't shift, just grind. Drained it out, stuck with the 25% ratio and everything was happy.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'm going to try and push 700rwhp through it and see where that gets me. I expect an eventual failure but then I'll just have it rebuilt by Rev Auto with some upgrades.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
700rwhp through the MT82 with stock internals will be pushing it to the limit. I think with a straighter cut gear kit in it, you could achieve it but it would also need to be face plated as there isn't much reason to spend the money on a high end synchronized gear kit when you could just replace the unit with a Magnum XL. Its a fine balancing act for sure. From our feedback, if we can offer some products to upgrade the unit and keep it to $2500 or less, customers will consider it. Once it gets over that, it makes sense to invest a few more bucks and do the Magnum XL.

Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Which Amsoil fluid?

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
Which Amsoil fluid?
There is absolutely nothing inside the MT82 that requires a special fluid. The synchronizer rings in it are pretty much the same as the original Tremec TR6060 rings. It would shift the best with ATF Mercon V mixed with Syngear II but it might be noisier than with a thicker fluid as the unit heats up and the fluid thins out.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I was just asking since you said Syngear II works best with Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

Looking to quiet down the transmission a bit.

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Its wear on the gears where they have broken in to each other but due to the inconsistent surface area of the tooth profile, it will develop a whine over time. The more torque the transmission sees, the more accelerated the whine will develop.
From what I've seen during break in we break in the tires, engine, brakes, transmission and rear axle gears.

I already decided on how I'll break in the engine, tires and brakes but with the transmission I have no clue.

Is it better to apply more torque early, gradually or after the 1000 mile break in to apply more torque during wot?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Bearings growl when they fail just like they do when its an axle bearing or wheel bearing. Gears whine, just like a supercharger because its the gears inside the supercharger that create the whine.

That's a negative. I've been with the MT-82 saga from the beginning and have first hand experience. Input shaft bearing failed on my car and it whined just like a Kenne Bell supercharger. I inspected the internals myself and the gears were in perfect condition.

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
So no one has yet asked what the car the video is of? I see his info has an owner of a base GT, but don't all the '15's get the reverse lockout shifter? Or is that a '14 in the video?
OK, just did a Google search. I see it is a '14 in the video.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
From what I've seen during break in we break in the tires, engine, brakes, transmission and rear axle gears.

I already decided on how I'll break in the engine, tires and brakes but with the transmission I have no clue.

Is it better to apply more torque early, gradually or after the 1000 mile break in to apply more torque during wot?
I honestly don't think it matters one way or another when it comes to the torque. I would suggest normal to light duty use for the 1000 miles mostly to let the synchronizer rings to break in.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
That's a negative. I've been with the MT-82 saga from the beginning and have first hand experience. Input shaft bearing failed on my car and it whined just like a Kenne Bell supercharger. I inspected the internals myself and the gears were in perfect condition.
How did the bearing fail, specifically? Its a very basic ball bearing design.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
How did the bearing fail, specifically? Its a very basic ball bearing design.

The current theory is material failure having been manufactured in China. From the looks of it there was probably an improper heat treatment to the bearing and race metals as they were chewed up. This was among the first and most prevalent failures of the first-run MT-82s back in 2010 and early 2011. The other being cold shift effort.

Last edited:

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
I've done a ton of manual transmissions including several Getrag units which use the same bearings as the the MT82 design does. I've never seen a bearing whine. I've seen gears whine when a bearing fails because its being run out of alignment but once the gear gets to that point, the bearing and the gear need to be replaced.
Sponsored