Sponsored

MT-82 Whine

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
My transmission has a little bit of that whine noise to it. No other problems shifting, as the transmission seems otherwise solid and good. But I've heard that MT-82 can be... twitchy so I thought I'd ask if it's a problem I should look at or not. The noise is similar to the noise this video, but not quite as loud:

[ame]

Should I be concerned?
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I have a pretty good whine in mine which is loudest in 4th gear. Headers and catback got installed and the whine no longer bothers me.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I have a pretty good whine in mine which is loudest in 4th gear. Headers and catback got installed and the whine no longer bothers me.
The whine doesn't bother me, per se. This is not a quiet car, and the mods I have in mind will make it even less quiet.

Just concerned on whether nor not the noise is normal. If it is, it's fine by me.

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Not shifting yet (2016) but in the video here the Top cogs (gears) don't seem to be as loud.

I've read somewhere where a different tranny oil quiets these transmissions down.

I wouldn't mind some whine but wonder if this is normal and forecasting a real problem.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
Its wear on the gears where they have broken in to each other but due to the inconsistent surface area of the tooth profile, it will develop a whine over time. The more torque the transmission sees, the more accelerated the whine will develop.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
It definitely bothered me. Very glad I can no longer hear it. My 11's first MT82 was trash and didn't whine. The second one was notchy and difficult at times but didn't whine. My 15s shifts very well but whines. IDK...

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Its wear on the gears where they have broken in to each other but due to the inconsistent surface area of the tooth profile, it will develop a whine over time. The more torque the transmission sees, the more accelerated the whine will develop.
Interesting. So it *is* normal.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
Interesting. So it *is* normal.
Normal isn't the word I would use. Its to be expected from the poorly engineered tooth profile the gears have. We're working on a replacement set of gears that will address the problem.

Anyone that has experience with setting up ring and pinion gears would be familiar with what I am talking about. Its absolutely critical that the pinion ring meshes with the ring gear at the proper depth and with enough contact area to make it run quiet and hold up. I'll post up some worn gears from an MT82 for reference.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Normal isn't the word I would use. Its to be expected from the poorly engineered tooth profile the gears have. We're working on a replacement set of gears that will address the problem.

Anyone that has experience with setting up ring and pinion gears would be familiar with what I am talking about. Its absolutely critical that the pinion ring meshes with the ring gear at the proper depth and with enough contact area to make it run quiet and hold up. I'll post up some worn gears from an MT82 for reference.
Bleh. How long before these transmissions bite the dust?

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
There isn't a specific time frame really. Most of the failures we've seen is broken fork pads, messed up 2nd gears and mating 2nd gear synchronizer sleeve. The gears, even though they are worn and whining usually operate fine until they also eventually fail. The whine is more of a nuisance to most people but those making a lot of power will break the teeth off.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
There are two kinds of trans whine, the typical gear mesh sounds that some notice and some do not. Then there is bearing failure whine which sounds like a supercharger that's so big it sticks out of the hood. That is unmistakable and overpowers your exhaust or radio. FWIW my 2011 had the latter and it went 10,000 additional miles before I decided to get it replaced. Other than the failed bearing there was nothing wrong with the trans and it would have continued to operate normally. Whine is not an indication of impending transmission failure.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
There isn't a specific time frame really. Most of the failures we've seen is broken fork pads, messed up 2nd gears and mating 2nd gear synchronizer sleeve. The gears, even though they are worn and whining usually operate fine until they also eventually fail. The whine is more of a nuisance to most people but those making a lot of power will break the teeth off.
Bone stock at the moment, and I have no intention of going over 450RWHP any time soon.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
Bearings growl when they fail just like they do when its an axle bearing or wheel bearing. Gears whine, just like a supercharger because its the gears inside the supercharger that create the whine.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
Bone stock at the moment, and I have no intention of going over 450RWHP any time soon.
You're making enough torque from a stock engine to create gear whine although probably not enough to break a gear itself. If you can live with the noise, drive it. You can try to mask the noise with thicker fluid which provides a cushion between the gears and can in some case make it operate quieter. On the flip side, it might not shift as well until it warms up and might not be driver friendly in cold environments.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
You're making enough torque from a stock engine to create gear whine although probably not enough to break a gear itself. If you can live with the noise, drive it. You can try to mask the noise with thicker fluid which provides a cushion between the gears and can in some case make it operate quieter. On the flip side, it might not shift as well until it warms up and might not be driver friendly in cold environments.
I live in Tampa. Rarely gets cold here. And even then, what we consider "cold" barely registers to folks up north. Might go down that route if it will help prolong transmission life.

The noise itself doesn't bother me any, though.
Sponsored