Sponsored

New car MT-82 whine

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Just picked up my 2017 GT manual. The MT-82 whines a bit around 2000-3000 rpm mid throttle. Sounds like a supercharger.
It's rpm related not speed related.
Sponsored

NowhereFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem. PP, 1999 WS6,2010 Expedition
Mine whines a bit too. I figure it's normal. Does seem to get rather loud at the top of 4th goin' at it, but I'm not so sure I want to let Ford techs "verify" the concern.

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS
Give it some time it will get better. Or worse lol...

OP
OP
jasonstang

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I figure I just need loud exhaust lol.

OP
OP
jasonstang

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
This issue is very weird because I am trying to think where the noise can come from.
The noise is engine rpm related and load related so it won't be on the output shaft.
It does not do it in neutral if I just rev the engine.
The pitch of the whine is the same in each gear too.

Sponsored

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I figure I just need loud exhaust lol.
Take my word with a grain of salt - but I never noticed any type of gear whine in any gear or any RPM. It could be there but my exhaust is definitely blocking it out.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
When I had my manual I noticed it in the same rpm range, 1st through 4th gear. Seemed to start after 400 miles on the odo.

OP
OP
jasonstang

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
When I had my manual I noticed it in the same rpm range, 1st through 4th gear. Seemed to start after 400 miles on the odo.
We will see if it gets better or worse.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
This always goes good with a little wine....:lol:

cheese.jpg

But on a serious note. I haven't noticed it with mine yet and I have 3000 kms (2000 miles) on mine. But maybe having the top down and the radio up is drowning it out....:shrug:

Last edited:

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
A small bit of technical info here. The quality (Q number) of a gear is directly related to the whine you hear during operation. Basically the better the Q number, the closer the gear tooth profile is to nominal. Small variations for machining tolerances are necessary and not all gears are designed with the same Q number for various reasons. Ex; reverse and 1st are usually not the same Q number as 4-6 because the car isn't in those gears most of the time.

The MT-82 does seem to be a bit noisier than most though. Mine has some whine that has mostly died out over the 4k I've put on it. Honda is pretty widely regarded for a nice manual transmission and even they have some whine to them. It's just the nature of the beast don't let it keep you from enjoying rowing through the gears!

http://machinedesign.com/technologies/gear-quality-what-its-all-about

Sponsored
OP
OP
jasonstang

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
A small bit of technical info here. The quality (Q number) of a gear is directly related to the whine you hear during operation. Basically the better the Q number, the closer the gear tooth profile is to nominal. Small variations for machining tolerances are necessary and not all gears are designed with the same Q number for various reasons. Ex; reverse and 1st are usually not the same Q number as 4-6 because the car isn't in those gears most of the time.

The MT-82 does seem to be a bit noisier than most though. Mine has some whine that has mostly died out over the 4k I've put on it. Honda is pretty widely regarded for a nice manual transmission and even they have some whine to them. It's just the nature of the beast don't let it keep you from enjoying rowing through the gears!

http://machinedesign.com/technologies/gear-quality-what-its-all-about
Yea I figure maybe it just takes time for the gears to break in. After it has warranty.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Just picked up my 2017 GT manual. The MT-82 whines a bit around 2000-3000 rpm mid throttle. Sounds like a supercharger.
It's rpm related not speed related.
I just drive mine for the first time in two weeks. I listened for any whine and nothing. All quiet..... As far as transmission whine goes. :D

I will keep listening thou, but so far so good for me. :thumbsup:
Sponsored