Sponsored

mt 82 rebuild

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
I've searched a bit here and couldn't quite find much but has anyone rebuilt their own mt82? if so what parts did you use and how has it held up? the few things i did find were about the amp parts which i found a whole stage 3 rebuild kit for 1k, any one on here have any experience with it? i just don't want to wait 6+ weeks for a calimer and i know i can do the work i just don't have the experience with parts for these
Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Few other mustang forums with more track oriented guys on the s197 with the mt82 have reviews on multiple trans builds and parts. I've removed calimer from my plans due to distance and spotted reviews with questionable work/ cleanliness etc.

Texas drivetrain performance is local to us and will be speaking with them this spring for stg1 style rebuild on mine. Not sure what parts they use but will call and see what their experience is. Only issue I have is tail housing and main body sealant is weeping fluid. Have heard the swap from plastic to brass on the stop and pads is noticeable difference in feel and shift quality.

Quality of the carbon synchros is going to be hard to nail down unless you order one from each supplier. Have seen reviews of the amp stuff being just fine but dedicated track use still wore it out after a season. The parts are not oe but not sure that matters. Curious if their input shaft would actually make a difference due to being higher quality machine work on the teeth.

From what I have gathered gear/ oil heat is the biggest issue for track use. Keep it cool and part supplier seems to not matter.

I've considered getting a press to build my own but want to use a spare trans. And they cost more than its worth from what I've found

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whitewalkers550

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Yea I’ve been trying to find another stock one to throw in and build mine and then swap them and see how it holds up, but finding a stock one hasn’t been easy for a decent price I may just check that shop you mentioned and go from there, it’s def not a track dedicated car just an all around fun but will see track from time to time

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Did you ever rebuild your tranny? If so, what parts and clutch did you use and how is it holding up?

OP
OP
Whitewalkers550

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever rebuild your tranny? If so, what parts and clutch did you use and how is it holding up?
I didn't end up rebuilding myself, I had Texas drivetrain do it since they had such a quick turn around and decent price. I ended up swapping to one of the lethal lpx clutches and i love it honestly.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What upgrades did Texas Drivetrain do to yours?
Sponsored