MPG high and low scores?

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
My overall average is 18.6 mostly city. That's for the 10 months I've had the car.

On a trip all turnpike/interstate 28 mpg on e free 93
Sponsored

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

HolubS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Plus Coupe in Lightning Blue
20190419_Mustang_MPG2.jpg

Filled in St Louis, MO with 93 octane, drove ~240 miles to Cedar Rapids, IA at 5 MPH over the speed limit. I haven't recalibrated my MPG meter, it reads 1-2 MPG high. I have measured up to 40 MPG if I have a tail wind.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
These discussions are wildly inaccurate unless using the old method for manually calculating based off odometer reading since last fill up and volume readout at the pump.

100+ years later and Ford still can't engineer an accurate fuel level gauge. I realize the computer calculates the economy off of other sensor parameters, but it's all indirect and subject to inaccuracies.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
These discussions are wildly inaccurate unless using the old method for manually calculating based off odometer reading since last fill up and volume readout at the pump.

100+ years later and Ford still can't engineer an accurate fuel level gauge. I realize the computer calculates the economy off of other sensor parameters, but it's all indirect and subject to inaccuracies.
It’s still mostly calculated by vacuum/load. Has been since the late 80’s.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
My best was the drive home picking up the car from VA to NJ, was about 23-24 MPG I think. Since then most of my driving has been commuting to and from work, mostly highway but usually decent levels of traffic, and I typically average around 14-16 MPG.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It’s still mostly calculated by vacuum/load. Has been since the late 80’s.
Yup, and it can vary wildly depending on all sorts of contributing factors.

The good old "I traveled x miles using y gallons" is still the best/most accurate measure of fuel economy.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

The good old "I traveled x miles using y gallons" is still the best/most accurate measure of fuel economy.
Yep. Fill, drive, fill, calculate.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

Since we are all using the "wrong" method we all should be able to compare the wrong MPGs, or whatever it spits out, or? 🤪

Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
These discussions are wildly inaccurate unless using the old method for manually calculating based off odometer reading since last fill up, and volume readout at the pump.
That's how I know my dashboard display is optimistic: It has told me I was getting 21 mpg, when my calculation from the trip odometer and pump display gave me 19.something. I think it was a difference of about 8%.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Since we are all using the "wrong" method we all should be able to compare the wrong MPGs, or whatever it spits out, or? 🤪
Interesting question. Depends on the error. If the error was always consistently in one direction and the error was consistent magnitude or at the very least, distributed tightly, you could use for comparison from one bad measurement to the other. But even if that were true, it would neuter the exercise of using any sort of comparison against traditional or common MPG values.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
2022 2.3L HPP, with just over 2100 miles. All driving has been with 93 octane gasoline. This time of year here in Michigan that means "winter blend fuel" which is known to knock down MPGs.

Short-hop city driving: 21mpg
Most recent highway trip: 310 miles round trip to Allendale, most all highway at 75-77mph: 26mpg

Don't even ask what happens when I put it in Sport and drive it like a lunatic. :cwl:

For comparison, my 2011 5.0L Convertible gets 21mpg all the time, mainly because (A) it doesn't get driven very often, and (B) when it does, I'm driving it really hard because it's the fun car and MPGs just aren't a priority.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Ya'll need to try varying your tire pressures. Makes a huge difference.
Sponsored