Move to Florida

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I’m looking to relocate me and my family to Florida. Looking to move to maybe, St Pete, Tampa, Bradenton, etc. I would like a house with some property, not a lot, possibly 1-1.5 acres. $200,000 - $300,000 range. 3-4 bedrooms. No HOA type stuff. Have teen age daughters so needs a good school district. Any suggestions of areas that meet these criteria.
Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I'm in Clearwater but know some co-workers in the Brandon / Riverview area and those have some fairly new developments that fit the criteria.

Closer you get to the coasts your land gets smaller and house won't be as nice typically for what you could get out in Tampa.

If you stay in Pinellas County I would check out Dunedin or Palm Harbor. I don't know a ton about Tampa neighborhoods but I think N.Tampa has newer developments as well.

Pay attention to the major roads around your house too, I wouldn't want to have to depend on I4 or 275 to get anywhere especially around rush hour.

OP
OP
VOODOO 6G

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm in Clearwater but know some co-workers in the Brandon / Riverview area and those have some fairly new developments that fit the criteria.

Closer you get to the coasts your land gets smaller and house won't be as nice typically for what you could get out in Tampa.

If you stay in Pinellas County I would check out Dunedin or Palm Harbor. I don't know a ton about Tampa neighborhoods but I think N.Tampa has newer developments as well.

Pay attention to the major roads around your house too, I wouldn't want to have to depend on I4 or 275 to get anywhere especially around rush hour.
Thanks for the info. I’ll look into all of it. If I have to I will settle for less land. I’m just used to living out in the country.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
My wife and I did the Florida thing for about 3 years.
Lived in very South Bradenton between SR 70 and University Parkway, 3 miles West of I75.
Check out the planned community of “Lakewood Ranch”, located on I75 N.
The community has its own school district.
SR 70 and/or University Parkway exits will take you right in.
Many new developments and more open country on the East side of I75.

Clubs: Modern Mustangs of Sarasota and Mustang Club of West Central Florida.

Be prepared for the heat.
Best of luck with your relocation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VOODOO 6G

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
My wife and I did the Florida thing for about 3 years.
Lived in very South Bradenton between SR 70 and University Parkway, 3 miles West of I75.
Check out the planned community of Lakewood located on I75 N.
The community has its own school district.
SR 70 and/or University Parkway exits will take you right in.
Many new developments and more open country on the East side of I75.

Clubs: Modern Mustangs of Sarasota and Mustang Club of West Central Florida.

Be prepared for the heat.
Best of luck with your relocation.
Thanks for the info. The heat is okay with me. Never has bothered me. The cold here in Ohio is another story....

Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Any newer development is going to have an HOA. As a matter of fact, most planned neighborhoods in FL have an HOA, I believe it is a state law. If you are trying to avoid an HOA, you will need to look in older and/or more rural areas.

That being said, your best bet for a little land and no HOA is east of Tampa, around the Plant City area.

OP
OP
VOODOO 6G

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Any newer development is going to have an HOA. As a matter of fact, most planned neighborhoods in FL have an HOA, I believe it is a state law. If you are trying to avoid an HOA, you will need to look in older and/or more rural areas.

That being said, your best bet for a little land and no HOA is east of Tampa, around the Plant City area.
Thank You, I definitely can’t do HOA. I am really picky about the outside of my house and don’t need some jackass to tell me that I can’t park my truck in my drive or can’t leave my garage door open or whatever else they tell you.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
HOA's aren't that bad. Keep your house/lawn in order and you are good. Land is expensive in the urban areas/suburbs in the big cities. Watch our for communities that charge CDD fees. They can be really expensive. Welcome to Florida.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Stay the hell away, we're out of room :D

Thank You, I definitely can’t do HOA. I am really picky about the outside of my house and don’t need some jackass to tell me that I can’t park my truck in my drive or can’t leave my garage door open or whatever else they tell you.

Yeah, we do _not_ do HOAs either, we're at the beach, so it's already a bit of a free-for-all, don't get me wrong, there are 9000 sq/ft houses in this neighborhood but if we want to paint our house bright lime green, we don't need anybody making noise.

(we're on the northeast coast)

EABbGD_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Riverview, Palm Harbor and Odessa all might fit into your criteria. Palm harbor will be pricier but also closer to beaches.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
dont think you will find what you are looking for in those areas, prob gotta go more east, im in parrish, i can deal with my hoa, because every house is well maintained. i wasnt buying a new house so some jerkoff could park is trailer and civics on his lawn. plus im only about 10 min away from bradenton motorsports park

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
My recommendation and where I reside (for good reason) is Odessa.

I have been in the Tampa area since 2004/2005 and made a few moves, and ended up settling down in Odessa. GREAT schools, good location, and the local surrounding communities are booming as well as nice.

As for finding a nice place in a nice area with good schools, with property and no HOA, - and staying under $300K or even $400K - if you find something, please share your realtor with me. Those are definitely some high expectations and won't really be possible at this time unless the home needs some major renovating.

OP
OP
VOODOO 6G

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it. BMRtech can you be a little more specific on which things I want are the “deal breaker”. I can budge on some of my wants, but I really don’t want an HOA. I’m very picky and never leave junk around outside and take very good care of my home but if I want to leave my car or truck in the driveway, or leave my door open, or whatever, I don’t want to be harassed about it. Plus I like to mow my yard. I keep it looking like a golf course. I’ve been searching sites like Zillow and see houses for sale in the $300,000 range that seem to meet my criteria. Haven’t found “the one” yet and I am still a little out on my move. What am I missing? Do they not tell you that the area has an HOA? I will be getting a real estate agent soon. I’m going to use the one my b-i-l and sis used. Hopefully I can get it figured out.

Again, Thanks so much for the input.

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
I'm not in your search area, but in the Orlando suburbs. All newer communities will have an HOA by state law. The question comes down to how restrictive is it. I've had battles with my HOA over the years, but have won all of them. The covenants in my HOA say no basketball hoops in the front yard. This helps maintain the look of the neighborhood. Nothing says you can't park in your driveway, except a commercial vehicle needs to have the company name covered up. They will challenge you on paint colors, but that to me helps maintain the value from some idiot wanting a bright pink house just because he can. The Miami colors are moving into central florida, and to me it isn't a good look. Some HOAs are allowing those colors now, mixed in with a neighborhood of earth tones and it looks horrible.

Good luck with your search, but know that some HOAs are tryng to maintain property values while others are just trying to be hard nosed.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My mother is planning to move around Odessa to get out of Illinois, which is a prime example of state government failure, corruption, and taxation without legitimate representation. :)
Sponsored