Sponsored

Most Reliabloe Boost?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know for a fact the least expensive way to boost, is to go centrifugal. The most power is of course twin turbos, and if you want a warranty, you can go Roush or Whipple.

But here's one question I've never really seen answered. And that is, what is the most reliable way to boost a 2018 GT for the long term with as little fuss?

I ask, because I may not boost my car until the warranty is up in a few years, and I know the engine is good for 200,000 miles. That said, which way to boost is most reliable for that long term ownership?
Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Probably Centri since they produce the lowest torque. Torque breaks parts.

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Lowest maintenance is going to be a TVS or Twin Screw, they have 100k mile service intervals and are very easy set ups to install and you don't ever really have to worry about gaskets blowing out, couplers popping, or anything like that. Centri's like Vortech/Procharger are simple too, but if you get the Self Lubricated ones you need to worry about cold starts and letting blower get to temps and lower max RPMs. If you get a oiled unit, you still need to worry about cold starts and letting your engine oil temps get warm enough before you really get on the car. Vortech usually includes a warning about getting the car to operating temp(180*f+) for 5 minuets before you rev higher than 2500rpm.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Letting engine the warm up before getting on it is not a special characteristic of a centri, it needs to be done regardless. By the time the engine is warm, the centri should also be ready to rip.

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
I dont know how you can wait those 3 years for the warranty to end......I ended mine at 6 months and that was HARD cause they car felt so sloooooooow from day 1. Boost is a must.

Sponsored

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I dont know how you can wait those 3 years for the warranty to end......I ended mine at 6 months and that was HARD cause they car felt so sloooooooow from day 1. Boost is a must.
Same, I bought mine June 18, put a few thousand miles on it to make sure my 10r80 and engine were't a dud, and just ordered a blower earlier this month. By the time it gets here I should have a good 10k miles on the car.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I had a tvs and whipple on my 16, drove from NC to Florida and ran the half mile. And drove it back. Zero issues. I live 5 hours from the coast and drove it to the beach all the time. Car had its fair share of pulls/races/burnouts. Key is proper maintenance, letting it warm up and knowing when not to beat it ( ie. when it’s 110 degrees out in July or 20 degrees in January)

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Same, I bought mine June 18, put a few thousand miles on it to make sure my 10r80 and engine were't a dud, and just ordered a blower earlier this month. By the time it gets here I should have a good 10k miles on the car.
Nice!!!

I first tuned it at 1500, got the whipple at 3k. Life is great!!

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you want reliable go whipple, period.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you want reliable go whipple, period.
Ehhh, there are also other very reliable setups. Let me guess, you have a Whipple? lol

Sponsored

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
I've done some homework as to what boost seems the most logical from a D/D standpoint, and for me, Procharger hands down. P1X stage II gets you a larger front mount intercooler (no hoses or tank/pump setup) dedicated belt drive to head unit (Snap a belt, drive home N/A) P1X has the potential to make more power than a stock bottom end can handle when beating on it daily (We all know Coyotes have made over 1k WHP on a glory pull but how many are making pass after pass at that HP?), so why would I need more? Others may like other setups for their own reasons, but this is my .02...

BBR-NICK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt,2000 f350
a centri setup will have a longer lasting effect IMO because of the lower TQ output.Once the unit is installed properly it should be reliable.I personly ran a vortech and a procharger before i did the turbo on my s197 and never had a problem .

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I know a few guys that have centris and they love 'em. They're reliable and haul *ss. But hey, my Roush is as reliable as theirs, and I can haul *ss too and have no issues either.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
I've done some homework as to what boost seems the most logical from a D/D standpoint, and for me, Procharger hands down. P1X stage II gets you a larger front mount intercooler (no hoses or tank/pump setup) dedicated belt drive to head unit (Snap a belt, drive home N/A) P1X has the potential to make more power than a stock bottom end can handle when beating on it daily (We all know Coyotes have made over 1k WHP on a glory pull but how many are making pass after pass at that HP?), so why would I need more? Others may like other setups for their own reasons, but this is my .02...
There are plenty of cars making 1,000+ and beating on them every day.... Stock motor too..

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ehhh, there are also other very reliable setups. Let me guess, you have a Whipple? lol
Lol im going off experience guy. There are reliable setups for sure I went whipple because of their reputation and the quality of their kits.
Sponsored