Sponsored

"Most efficient" steering mode?

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The answer to this question is probably “it doesn’t really make any difference,” but I’ll ask anyway. Which steering mode is most efficient, in terms of minimizing alternator load, and therefore maximizing power and fuel economy? On the one hand, Sport steering mode seems to provide less power assist, so maybe it puts the lowest load on the electrical system. On the other hand, for all I know maybe the heavier steering feel of Sport mode actually increases the electric load.

I bet the real-world difference is too small to measure reliably, but if you were in a million-dollar competition to get the absolute best MPG or the best dyno run, what mode would you put the steering in?

Note: this question is about just the steering mode, I’m not talking about the full drive modes, which obviously change throttle mapping etc.
Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
An interesting question.

I would think sport is more efficient in terms of power draw (Assuming that it is not artificially fighting you to feel sportier!!!)

But we also must consider corner entry, corner speed, exit speed, and how how efficiently the car rotates mid corner, in order to know how much extra power a given steering mode uses.

With all that said, I doubt there is much of a difference

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
One other thing. I absolutely understand where you are coming from. Wanting to get rid of any inefficiencies or finding the best version mode to use.

Back in the day when jailbreaking iphones was popular, you could modify and delete processes on those phones. You could strip out all the junk, use less processing cycles (less background tasks) to increase speed and life on a single charge. I'm telling you this because, 1. i think its slightly relevant, 2. I wonder if there is anything in the as-built data that can be changed or looked at for this sort of stuff? Turn specific things on or off. Or in this case, see if there is any voltage data available?

*I have not ventured into the as built data tables yet because I am having problems with my car and don't want to give them any reason to void my warranty 😅

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible