2019 PP1 GT Kona

ToughSpecs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Edge
I have a good friend that manages a large mechanic shop. We have talked in the past about the problems with carbon and DI. His thoughts on it are that most of the carbon buildup cars that come in are driving by people that almost never run the car to redline. He thinks it will always be a problem but the most problematic cars are low mileage and low usage driven by older people/slow drivers.
Couldnā€™t disagree more with this. I had put almost 70k on a DI vehicle without a catch can. I was tuned at 15k and not driven easy a lot of the time. Still had MAJOR carbon build up.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
So, is there a safe fuel additive that will help clear carbon build up?
EB with 74k, no catch can but definitely driven spiritedly.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

No fuel additive will touch it, since fuel never touches the backs of the valves. Get them cleaned manually, and install a catch can as prevention.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Seafoam worked wonders on my Mini turbo 4 DI. Regardless, a walnut blast was still done every 60k miles or so. Would occasionally get a super knock to let me know it was time for a walnut blast.

I have a catch can in my GT and yes it catches oil. Beyond that, I've noticed nothing.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Seafoam worked wonders on my Mini turbo 4 DI. Regardless, a walnut blast was still done every 60k miles or so. Would occasionally get a super knock to let me know it was time for a walnut blast.

I have a catch can in my GT and yes it catches oil. Beyond that, I've noticed nothing.
Of course not. Your GT has port fuel injection. The valves get cleaned by it.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Couldnā€™t disagree more with this. I had put almost 70k on a DI vehicle without a catch can. I was tuned at 15k and not driven easy a lot of the time. Still had MAJOR carbon build up.
Did you borescope?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
First, the article isn't specific to an S550 EB.

Second, this statement says it all and is pointing towards earlier EB engines - but again is NOT S550 EB specific:
Unfortunately, early EcoBoost motors with direct injection will likely have these carbon deposits, and generally require a periodic cleaning to preserve the engineā€™s drivability.
Third - there's many threads on here with folks who have not used any catch can and have thousands of miles with no detrimental affects.

/end

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Of course not. Your GT has port fuel injection. The valves get cleaned by it.
The 2015 model year marked the first major design changes for the Coyote since its introduction in 2011. And then again in 2018, the Coyote was thoroughly reworked, featuring dual-fuel, high pressure direct injection combined with low-pressure port fuel injection technology for increased power and efficiency.

ToughSpecs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Edge
The problem is no fuel gets to the back side of the intake valve so nothing washes off the oil.

Lol. Love it when people are like ā€˜ well my car...ā€™

Maybe I should have made the 40 years of experience part and runs a large shop part more clear. Like I said DI without a manifold injector will always be a problem but his experience was cars that are driven hard have longer service intervals than cars that are never cleaned out. He also said the babied cars had much worse deposits than normally driven or hard driven cars.
Honestly, DI hasnā€™t been around for the 40 years of experience. But thatā€™s besides the point.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
on the 3.5 ecoboost adding any cleaner via the air intake was found to have dire impact to the close coupled turbos. Gen 3 3.5 has port and DI so not an issue if you use tier 1 fuel and give it a bit heavy right foot every now and then. I assume the Mustang 2,7 ecoboost wiould be the same?
Sponsored