#5pointohmy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I’m at a bit of a loss. Here are my issues:
Shifter kicks back when choosing gears (~75% of the time) - double clutching helps
Oil smell from undercarriage after long drives
Got stuck in 2nd and would not go into 5th (each has happened once so far)
Clutch will be extremely light and numb (gear kicking happens opposite to clutch issues a majority of the time)

Probably something else I’m forgetting.

My issue is that the shifts between gears used to be extremely smooth. Like a single finger could put you from 3 into 4 but now you need a grip in case it decides to kick it back. The clutch used to be extremely direct but now it’s fifficult to tell when the bite point begins. I’m worried the issues will progress outside of warranty and I’ll be stuck paying for it someday.

Not sure if anyone has insight into these problems. Help would be appreciated.

Got about ~14,000 miles today. This all began below 10k.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sera550

Sera550

#5pointohmy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I’ve taken it back to the dealer a number of times. Usually it goes in for about a day and they tell me they couldn’t replicate the issues. But I’ve driven the car since it was new so I’ve been able to watch the problems progress. I’m not sure if that holds any weight on the diagnosis but the kicking is quite evident.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Master or slave clutch cylinder
Check fluid level
If clutch has been dragging due to hydaulic leak, fluid low, it is very hard on syncro and messing interface. Worn messing interface, or worn or chipped edges from fast shifting while loaded results in partially messed gear wanting to push apart when loaded. Is it all gears or the ones that get beat stop light dragn? When dragging motorcycles, you can lean hard on the clutch fork to hold it in gear. I have bent many forks tryn to nurse a trashed 2nd gear lol. On an MT-82... is it kicking back hard enough to sting your hand/wrist?
Also, double clutching: clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out in neutral, clutch in, shift to gear, clutch out. If this helps, you already know for sure either syncros are EOL, or clutch is dragging. Clutch out in nuetral eases the syncro load.

2nd gear has some of the strongest cut to the gear teeth to pull gears together. 5th has highest incut to reject mis matched gear speeds (to robustly reject missed 2-3 shifts). Stuck in 2nd suggests clutch not disengaging load from trans completely.
Missed 5th says same thing. Syncros try n fight the clutch drag.

If it smells like burnt brake fluid, sounds like clutch slave or master leak.

Whats the clutch fluid level?

OP
OP
Sera550

Sera550

#5pointohmy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I have had a hunch the clutch wasn’t fully disengaging since I bought the car. It kicks in all gears except 6th. It’ll kick enough to jar your hand somewhat violently at the shifter. I haven’t had any pain or stinging but I don’t use a heavy hand to shift the car - never needed to until lately.

My understanding is the master cylinder reservoir feeds the brakes and clutch so I have no way to check the clutch fluid level independent of the brakes, am I wrong?

The smell was near burning. It wasn’t as pungent as burning fluid but it did raise eyebrows very quickly when I detected it.

It would be strange that I’ve brought the vehicle in multiple times for the numb clutch pedal and I would not have gotten any kind of discussion on master or slave cylinders should there be a problem.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Document this very well. If you drove it for 1000s of miles w bad clutch function and the trans got hurt, that is on them to replace trans and clutch system.
Could be bad shifter linkage.
Absolutely insist that they go for a drive with you while you reproduce issue.

I would even suggest taking to a different dealer.
Spend the money and get access to the online manual or just order the CD to learn how to check clutch system yourself. Youll waste a ton of your time taking vehicle to dealer if its only a mild problem. Absolute failures are easier for them to diagnose.
Car still in warranty?

You have more stressful psycho option:
Do you have 3 documented occurences of taking the car in for exact same clutch functionality issue?
Document this and dont threaten lemon or mention it.
Take twice to one dealer
Take twice to another dealer
May get a visit in w a third
Claim 5 repair attempts same exact issue.
Start a written email chain with Ford or mail them a formal demand:
Replace entire transmission damaged by clutch system failure as well as clutch system.
Or, replace car as lemon buyback since you have exceeded 3 attempts to remedy.
Or just out right lemon it.
Sponsored