Molded Splash Guards?

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Just finished installing the RPI splash guards. A couple of comments: the front splash guards installed easily using the factory attachment points. However, the top of the guards did not line up well with the edge of the fender wells. The guard seemed to be oriented slightly outward rather than match the edge. I solved that by using a snip tool and trimming a sliver of the guard off to better transition from the well edge.
The rear guards gave me much more trouble. First, the rear wheels do have to be removed. The lowest attachment hole on the guards has to be drilled out slightly larger.
The reused snap attachment plug is a larger diameter than the guard hole.
You might also need a couple of 3 1/2 inch long screws. The other attachment points use a 3 inch screw to attach to the rear fender panel. On my driver's side, one of the attachment holes was 1/2 inch farther rearward than than the same hole on the passenger side. The 3 inch screw didn't reach far enough to screw into the hole fitting. A 3 1/2 inch screw worked fine. The other included screws attached without a problem.
The rear splash guards did transition better along the wheel fender edge than the front guards...I didn't have to trim any plastic from the guards.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Just finished installing the RPI splash guards. A couple of comments: the front splash guards installed easily using the factory attachment points. However, the top of the guards did not line up well with the edge of the fender wells. The guard seemed to be oriented slightly outward rather than match the edge. I solved that by using a snip tool and trimming a sliver of the guard off to better transition from the well edge.
The rear guards gave me much more trouble. First, the rear wheels do have to be removed. The lowest attachment hole on the guards has to be drilled out slightly larger.
The reused snap attachment plug is a larger diameter than the guard hole.
You might also need a couple of 3 1/2 inch long screws. The other attachment points use a 3 inch screw to attach to the rear fender panel. On my driver's side, one of the attachment holes was 1/2 inch farther rearward than than the same hole on the passenger side. The 3 inch screw didn't reach far enough to screw into the hole fitting. A 3 1/2 inch screw worked fine. The other included screws attached without a problem.
The rear splash guards did transition better along the wheel fender edge than the front guards...I didn't have to trim any plastic from the guards.
I got mine yesterday and attempted the front install. My three pushpins are too short to make it through all the layers. And the top of the splashguard aligned outside fender. I guess this is due to the manufacturing Variances in the cars but there's no way mine are going to attach properly. I have a call into RPI to see if they can help me resolve the issue.

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Can you guys post pics of the finished product and the problem areas? Full on car shots would be great.

stang9779

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Performance Pack
I received mine and will try the install on Sunday. As stated above please post pics.

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
disappointed for sure

Just got mine and I'm thinking about returning them. Looking at the quality of the guards and hardware alone is enough to make me question it. I had the GT500 guards on my 2011 and this is no where near that level of quality. I thought the price was good but honestly they aren't even worth $50.

OP
OP

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
RIBS: The re-used front push pins did snap back into position for me. I guess Ford may be using slightly different thicknesses on the fender wells for different vehicles coming down the assembly line. One of the attachment points on the driver's side of the rear fender well was 1/2 inch farther back than the others. I had to go and find a 1/2 inch longer stainless screw to reach the snap-in. The front guard top did protrude out farther than I wanted. The attachment holes were made at the factory...so the guards will sit where they were designed. I thought about re-marking the hole position and re-drilling. But I am lazy by nature, so I looked at the protrusion and snipped off a triangular piece off the top of the guards to better line up with the fender edge line.
By the way...have you ever tried to reuse factory pushpins before? I have...I removed one pushpin from the front fender and one from the back. I went to my local hardware store and browsed their automotive pushpin collection. I bought some slightly longer pushpins just to have, in case. It turns out I didn't need them...so now I have a handful of pushpins ready if I ever need them.

Threebanger: I agree, you're not getting much for $50. But I needed splash guards ASAP. Constructing/adapting my own guards would have taken more than $50 of my time. I plan on replacing these 'temporary' guards with true molded guards when they come out (2016,17,18, etc. LOL).

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine yesterday and attempted the front install. My three pushpins are too short to make it through all the layers. And the top of the splashguard aligned outside fender. I guess this is due to the manufacturing Variances in the cars but there's no way mine are going to attach properly. I have a call into RPI to see if they can help me resolve the issue.
Just tried my fronts and same result. Top of the splash guard is tilted outboard and 2 of the 3 push pins on each side are too short.

cowboyfanVA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Black Performance Package
Received mine yesterday. Probably install Sunday. But reading some the comments I think I should have waited till they got them dialed in a little better.... we will see I suppose ;)

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, got mine yesterday and there is only 2 in the box. It was supposed to be all 4 right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, got mine yesterday and there is only 2 in the box. It was supposed to be all 4 right?

That's what I thought As well but they are just really thin and stuck together. Here's a pick of how bad the front alignment is.
IMAG0544.jpg

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
That's not poor alignment; that's the wrong part. You've flipped L-R or F-R, or there's a mfg defect.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

I stand erected, after CLOSE examination there are 4, they are just really thin. Sorry for not knowing what the hell in talking about [emoji15]

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I stand erected, after CLOSE examination there are 4, they are just really thin. Sorry for not knowing what the hell in talking about [emoji15]

I did the same thing.
Sponsored