Mods to Support Whipple

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
2017 GT350R - Whipple is being put on the car next week. I have ordered Billet Oil Pump Gears, Crank sprocket and ATI Serpentine Super Damper to round out the package. Will have a remote tune done from LUND Racing.

I don't plan on running e85 so using the 72/hr fuel injectors that came with the kit.

Anyone else running a similar setup? This car is stock otherwise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I would recommend oil separator kit for at least the passenger side head if not both. Plenty of options. Choose a flavor, they all work well. BTW - its called the crankshaft gear sprocket...not camshaft.

OP
OP

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I would recommend oil separator kit for at least the passenger side head if not both. Plenty of options. Choose a flavor, they all work well. BTW - its called the crankshaft gear sprocket...not camshaft.
Thanks, modified - not sure why I put that.
I heard that the ford performance oil separator kits won't work on the Whipples. JTl seems to work the best from what I've read. Just wanted to confirm

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
JLT makes a setup for Whipple. I'm wasn't but now I am running JLT on my non Whipple 2300 TVS setup. Just trying to save you the cost of having to pull the head unit and intake to clean all of the oil out that collects in the intake, inhibits heat removal as it builds up on the intercooler unit in the intake, and starts causing detonation issues. You're taking precautions on the crank end, may as well complete the task. You may consider the oversized H.E. option or at least the dual fan option. I picked up Whipple's huge dual pass oversized unit for my setup, but have to still order the mounting kit (100 clams from whipple) before I can tear into it.

OP
OP

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
JLT makes a setup for Whipple. I'm wasn't but now I am running JLT on my non Whipple 2300 TVS setup. Just trying to save you the cost of having to pull the head unit and intake to clean all of the oil out that collects in the intake, inhibits heat removal as it builds up on the intercooler unit in the intake, and starts causing detonation issues. You're taking precautions on the crank end, may as well complete the task. You may consider the oversized H.E. option or at least the dual fan option. I picked up Whipple's huge dual pass oversized unit for my setup, but have to still order the mounting kit (100 clams from whipple) before I can tear into it.
https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-3-0-oil-separator-passenger-side-2015-2019-whipple-charged-gt/ It appears that this kit would fit. Front feed passenger side. The other one they have on the website says rear feed and the 2.9L is front feed. Does that look right? Even their boosted kit says rear feed to modify an existing v3.0

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
2017 GT350R - Whipple is being put on the car next week. I have ordered Billet Oil Pump Gears, Crank sprocket and ATI Serpentine Super Damper to round out the package. Will have a remote tune done from LUND Racing.

I don't plan on running e85 so using the 72/hr fuel injectors that came with the kit.

Anyone else running a similar setup? This car is stock otherwise.
I did the same -billet Oil pump , Crank sprocket but stock Damper . Also did the UPR oil separator
one piece drive shaft and “bread and butter” BMR rear suspension mods .
I ended dropping down to a 3.5 pulley , running race gas after I deleted the cats ......
I was going to run out all the 50 gallons of race gas I had in my garage before switching to E85/ID1300/triple return pump .

Ran like a champ ...... till I bent 3 rods in the rear .ouch

I would suggest building the motor or at least swapping the rods for the Manley GT 350 specific H beams if you can .It can be done for under $3K if you send your short block and keep the Mahle pistons .
I know there are plenty of cars making power on the stock motor but what’s $2600 for the extra piece of mind . You will already be taking the motor apart a little to do the OPG/CS .
May be even upgrade the valve train with PAC springs while you have the heads off .

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500, 17 GT350

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I have the Gen 3 2.9 Whipple w/3.5" upper on my 17 GT350 with E85 Lund tune and 1050 ID injectors with JMS BAP. Stock OPG/CG at the moment. Waiting on cams to become available from L&M for cams/OPG-CG install
I have the Bobs Autosport oil seperator on pass side only.
https://bobsmachine.com/product/2015-gt350-oil-separator-kit-pass-driver-side-ultimate-series/
IMG_1114.jpg
Nice . I am surprised Lund agree to tune for E85 with the BAP and that pulley .
They had discouraged me when I asked saying they would only do it on “low boost “.

Ended up ordering a triple pump return fuel system/ID1300’s ... will be installing and switching to E85/Lund once I get the car back together .

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500, 17 GT350
Nice . I am surprised Lund agree to tune for E85 with the BAP and that pulley .
They had discouraged me when I asked saying they would only do it on “low boost “.

Ended up ordering a triple pump return fuel system/ID1300’s ... will be installing and switching to E85/Lund once I get the car back together .
I am just about out of headroom on my injector/fuel system
I suspect Lund will want both when I want to do cams

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s the delay with the cams ?
I have a set of Voodoo cams (came with heads ) I am not using ?
Do they need a core ?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can’t they just buy them from Ford ?