Sponsored

What kind of mods is everyone doing to increase NA power gt350?

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Whats the highest power NA voodoo out there so far? Obviously very subjective dyno to dyno, but curious to see what the highest reported numbers are.

I think I have seen low 500s with full boltons and e85
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Whats the highest power NA voodoo out there so far? Obviously very subjective dyno to dyno, but curious to see what the highest reported numbers are.

I think I have seen low 500s with full boltons and e85
Fathouse Fab has done a few into the 530's with E85, intake, and headers. I believe @honeybadger hit 545 with intake, headers, ported heads, and E85 but backed it down into the 520's for durability. JPC did one that hit 540 all day. In the "early" days, Frankenstein Engine Dynamics WAS working on a project. With factory intake, long tubes, ported heads, and a non dialed in 93 tune, it hit about 525.

Basically, a heavy hitter as of now, is about 540 which is about 620 crank horsepower, depending on what "math" you believe in.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Has anyone proved the power of a JLT or PMAS CAI over a stock airbox w/ airraid filter? I feel like most of the numbers out there are with a tune, so it doesn't count.

I had the JLT intake, but didn't like the fact it had rubber grommets for the pcv fittings that were super loose, and I had hunting idle (yes it had a JLT tune). I also tried the PMAS "no tune" intake, which seemed to run really well but the inlet temps were much higher than the factory airbox, and after 2 days the filter studs that hold onto the maf housing broke down creating a huge air gap, so i returned that too.

If the throttle body diameter is not increasing, is there really any point in increase the intake/maf housing size? Maybe I should try the K&N one?

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Has anyone proved the power of a JLT or PMAS CAI over a stock airbox w/ airraid filter? I feel like most of the numbers out there are with a tune, so it doesn't count.

I had the JLT intake, but didn't like the fact it had rubber grommets for the pcv fittings that were super loose, and I had hunting idle (yes it had a JLT tune). I also tried the PMAS "no tune" intake, which seemed to run really well but the inlet temps were much higher than the factory airbox, and after 2 days the filter studs that hold onto the maf housing broke down creating a huge air gap, so i returned that too.

If the throttle body diameter is not increasing, is there really any point in increase the intake/maf housing size? Maybe I should try the K&N one?
I gained around 10hp with JLT intake and tune. JLT requires a tune so you can’t really figure out what it is without tune.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I gained around 10hp with JLT intake and tune. JLT requires a tune so you can’t really figure out what it is without tune.
Yea that's my point, you can easily pick up 10whp or more from a tune alone, so i doubt the JLT is doing much. Between the 3 intakes, my inlet temps were the lowest with the stock airbox though. At the end of the day cold air is more important, i don't think the stock setup is much of a restriction, if at all.

Between the 3 intakes, from the seat of the pants dyno, i felt i picked up more response and low end power from the PMAS, but inlet temps were so much higher like 20-30F higher than stock would at similar ambient. Then the filter studs failed and I said screw it, too much risk.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Yea that's my point, you can easily pick up 10whp or more from a tune alone, so i doubt the JLT is doing much. Between the 3 intakes, my inlet temps were the lowest with the stock airbox though. At the end of the day cold air is more important, i don't think the stock setup is much of a restriction, if at all.

Between the 3 intakes, from the seat of the pants dyno, i felt i picked up more response and low end power from the PMAS, but inlet temps were so much higher like 20-30F higher than stock would at similar ambient. Then the filter studs failed and I said screw it, too much risk.
I don’t agree. I had my car tuned with my headers and full exhaust. I had to retune it for the JLT intake. The car wouldn’t hardly idle because of the difference in air flow. All they really did was adjust the air fuel ratio to be able to run the intake. 10 hp gain wasn’t all tune. Mainly intake. In my opinion.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I don’t agree. I had my car tuned with my headers and full exhaust. I had to retune it for the JLT intake. The car wouldn’t hardly idle because of the difference in air flow. All they really did was adjust the air fuel ratio to be able to run the intake. 10 hp gain wasn’t all tune. Mainly intake. In my opinion.
The reason the car would hardly idle is because the MAF sensor is calibrated to the housing size, it has nothing to do with the motor getting "more" air. PMAS no tune intake includes a re calibrated MAF sensor that is suited for the 120mm housing, so it reads the same amount of CFM with the air flowing past it at a slower rate.

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
There could be so many variables that may have gotten you that 10hp pickup. Ambient temps, oil temps, coolant temps, humidty, barometric pressure, even going from whatever filter you had before especially the stock paper one, to the nice S&B JLT one could have been the trick.

There is no restriction in the stock system except for the few ribs in the flex pipe and the bend, I don't think the diameter makes a difference as long as its the size of the TB or larger. The total surface area of the filter media would matter though.

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The reason the car would hardly idle is because the MAF sensor is calibrated to the housing size, it has nothing to do with the motor getting "more" air. PMAS no tune intake includes a re calibrated MAF sensor that is suited for the 120mm housing, so it reads the same amount of CFM with the air flowing past it at a slower rate.
I’m not going to lie and say I know about how to tune a car because I don’t. All I know is my car was tuned prior to adding the intake and retune with the intake and I gained 10hp. You can’t say the 10hp came from just tune if so then why wasn’t my car 10hp higher without changing intake?

Sponsored

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I’m not going to lie and say I know about how to tune a car because I don’t. All I know is my car was tuned prior to adding the intake and retune with the intake and I gained 10hp. You can’t say the 10hp came from just tune if so then why wasn’t my car 10hp higher without changing intake?
Hey maybe you picked up 10 on the dyno, but if your running 15F hotter inlet temps on the street, is it worth it? At the end of the day we are talking about very little gains here, and the stock system seems to function overall better in more areas, namely cooling.

Update: Also check that rubber grommet for the PCV system, its loose AF. I would still be running the JLT because of how it looks and the sound, if that grommet didn't make me nervous. It is past the MAF so if any air gets in there its unmetered.

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
There could be so many variables that may have gotten you that 10hp pickup. Ambient temps, oil temps, coolant temps, humidty, barometric pressure, even going from whatever filter you had before especially the stock paper one, to the nice S&B JLT one could have been the trick.

There is no restriction in the stock system except for the few ribs in the flex pipe and the bend, I don't think the diameter makes a difference as long as its the size of the TB or larger. The total surface area of the filter media would matter though.
I had a blue airraid filter. I bought it to match my stripes. Lol

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Hey maybe you picked up 10 on the dyno, but if your running 15F hotter inlet temps on the street, is it worth it? At the end of the day we are talking about very little gains here, and the stock system seems to function overall better in more areas, namely cooling.

Update: Also check that rubber grommet for the PCV system, its loose AF. I would still be running the JLT because of how it looks and the sound, if that grommet didn't make me nervous. It is past the MAF so if any air gets in there its unmetered.
If I’m being honest I bought it mainly for the looks. The 10hp was just a bonus.
4B53A340-0158-433D-AE78-5E7546F4971B.jpeg

OP
OP
Deathvalleysc

Deathvalleysc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Shit that looks good, when i bought mine i couldn't find the carbon tube anywhere, only lame plastic lol.
Thanks, I originally ordered the deep impact blue one to match my stripes and coil covers. The shop I ordered it from said JLT discontinued it and asked if I would take the Carbon fiber one for the same price. I said ok. Lol
Sponsored