Miles til Empty - Results - Est 1/2 Gallon left at Zero

CaptainUnderpants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
Without getting stranded I ran my GT350 down to about 10 miles left til empty. I was getting about 20 miles per gallon at the time and the car topped up with almost exactly 15 gallons. With a spec of 16 gallons total. This would leave about 1/2 gallon if I ran her all the way down to Zero.

Always good to know, especially when the range of this car is less than average.

Are others experience similar?
Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
As a rule of thumb I generally treat my 1/4 marker as empty and rarely ever go below it.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
My fuel economy indicator states around 250 miles when I top it off. Pretty abysmal range. Wish the car came with a 25 gallon tank.

Computer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350
If the car has a 16 gallon tank, there is likely less that a pint (1/8 gallon) of usable fuel left in the tank at 0 miles to empty based on my calculations. The most fuel that I put in was 15.223 gallons for 359.4 miles of driving, with the dash showing 11 miles to empty and 25.6 MPG (23.61 actual). Based on a 16 gallon tank size, if I could use all of the remaining fuel in the tank, the car would have made it another 18 miles. I saw similar results when running the car down to 9 and 12 miles to empty with over 360 miles of driving on the tank.

So yes, I learned that when this car shows 0 miles per empty, I had better hope that the gas station is not at the top of the small hill just down the road.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Without getting stranded I ran my GT350 down to about 10 miles left til empty. I was getting about 20 miles per gallon at the time and the car topped up with almost exactly 15 gallons. With a spec of 16 gallons total. This would leave about 1/2 gallon if I ran her all the way down to Zero.

Always good to know, especially when the range of this car is less than average.

Are others experience similar?
In the 392 and the 350 I don't even acknowledge the range readout. It's based on avg mpg, which for motors like ours is not reliable --- unless you purposefully drive to conserve. One pull, 1 high revving pass and your avg mpg might not reflect much of a change depending on how long it's been averaging but your instance consumption is off the chart.

I've seen the needle stay relatively still for 2 days straight.. I've also seen it move 1/4 tank in under 20min lol.

Sponsored

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Good to know the miles to empty is that accurate. My F350 is also pretty thirsty and when towing the range (26 gal tank) was horrible. I went with a Titan 50 gallon tank and now can tow from Portland to Willows CA (ThunderHill) and without a trailer probably down to LA! It will definitely outlast my bladder! I have thought about bringing a jug of diesel along the way for that just in case moment but never have. Always an option in the mustang for those longer trips to bring a few extra gallons in trunk?

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If the car has a 16 gallon tank, there is likely less that a pint (1/8 gallon) of usable fuel left in the tank at 0 miles to empty based on my calculations. The most fuel that I put in was 15.223 gallons for 359.4 miles of driving, with the dash showing 11 miles to empty and 25.6 MPG (23.61 actual). Based on a 16 gallon tank size, if I could use all of the remaining fuel in the tank, the car would have made it another 18 miles. I saw similar results when running the car down to 9 and 12 miles to empty with over 360 miles of driving on the tank.

So yes, I learned that when this car shows 0 miles per empty, I had better hope that the gas station is not at the top of the small hill just down the road.
Holy crap - did you fill up at the top of Mt. Rainier and coast all the way down? I haven't gotten more than 13-14 mpg yet.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Don't forget guys that you will never get full 16 gallons in these tanks since there is airspace that is required for the fuel expansion etc in hot climates.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Holy crap - did you fill up at the top of Mt. Rainier and coast all the way down? I haven't gotten more than 13-14 mpg yet.
I averaged 25-27 mpg on the two highway trips I did so far, cruise control set at 70-75 mph... the average for the tank went in the toilet because I was driving to autocross, lol. Not sure why the EPA estimate is so low for highway, I normally struggle to reach the highway estimate but it's no problem in the Shelby.