Mildew smell

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
My ‘19 Ecoboost - 9 month old with less that 9000 miles - has a mildew smell when I turned on the AC for the first time this warm season. So what gives with this - can’t be the cabin filter, no water in the cabin (it’s a coupe) and a garage queen. So tell me this will pass after use a few more times or is this something Ford should look into.
Sponsored

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
With humidity germs will grow in moist areas. It can happen in all cars. You can remove the cabin air filter and spray some disinfectant into the intake vents (near the wipers) while the air is on full blast. Run it for a while til the disinfectant smell dissipates a bit. Scotty Kilmer has a video on this somewhere.

Save yourself a trip to the dealer where they'll experiment on your car. And probably charge you for something.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
When you are running the AC, feel the inside of one of the vents. There's a lot of moisture in there.
Try running the fans on full without the AC on for a minute before shutting the car off to dry it up (hot air will dry this faster)

I also have a couple of dehumidifiers in the car (like an EvaDry).
These things will soak up moisture (great in the winter storage months for myself) and can be dried out and reused over again.
EvaDry.jpg

Sponsored

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
My ‘19 Ecoboost - 9 month old with less that 9000 miles - has a mildew smell when I turned on the AC for the first time this warm season. So what gives with this - can’t be the cabin filter, no water in the cabin (it’s a coupe) and a garage queen. So tell me this will pass after use a few more times or is this something Ford should look into.
Same issue on a 2020 convertible I just bought used. Try AC PRO Vent and Duct Cleaner from Auto Zone. I spayed about half a can in the air intakes at the base of the windshield 2 weeks ago. So far problem is 95% gone. Very impressed. It was horrible

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Try turning off recirculating ac on start up
Or Evaporator drain ain't working and standing water in the case

You can also turn on recirculating and introduce / spray your favorite flavor from inside
Sponsored