McLeod clutch, need advice!

Scstang04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Looking to do a turbo build on my 17 Gt, wondering what clutch to use for the 700-850 rwhp range? People talk about McLeod’s Rst / Rxt twin disc clutches being good but I’ve heard they make a LOT of noise at cruising speeds/low rpm. Is there a reason for this or remedy? Does the rst do this more than the rxt? Are there any clutches out there that Don’t make lots of noise at these power levels? IE: Exedy, Mantic, South Bend? Any and all recommendations will be appreciated!
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I would suggest the RXT at that power level. They only make excessive noise if you lug it at lower rpm's. I have an RST on my Whippled '05 stroker and I love the clutch. Even with the excessive torque from the blower I easily manage any noise by just staying out of very low rpm cruising.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
I have the RST and the only time I hear it chatter is very low rpms where the car is bogged down like another has said. To be honest, between my stereo and loud exhaust, I never hear it, but have heard it a couple of times when pulling my car into the garage. Great clutch though. With your power level it's probably best to go with the RXT if you do drag racing events. RST is a great street clutch.

ROUSHCHARGEDS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roushcharged GTPP
I just purchased the RST with the lightened steel flywheel, Exedy TOB, stainless line, 4" DSS.aluminum, Barton hybrid 3.. havent installed yet im gonna dp it sometime this week waiting on flywheel bolts and pilot bearing.. I did some research on this I will be around 700whp not a daily driver either, the aluminum flywheel supposedly chatters if it's daily go steel if your gonna drag race it all the time do the RXT, of you want drivability RST, do not put one of these clutches on a stock flywheel it doesn't have the same contact patch... just a heads up IMO go RXT especially if your on a drag radial... if you drive the car alot and don't beat on it constantly go RST hope it works out for you I will let you know after I instal.. and break in

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just had a RXT installed with steel flywheel and have about 140 miles into the break in. So far it literally feels like the stock clutch just bites at a different spot.
That being said if I lug it off the line or in a parking lot it likes to chatter so i leave a stop at about 1k rpm to avoid it but it's getting better with break in. IDK if my exhaust or paxton drown it out but I hear zero noise from the clutch.

Sponsored

ROUSHCHARGEDS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roushcharged GTPP
Just had a RXT installed with steel flywheel and have about 140 miles into the break in. So far it literally feels like the stock clutch just bites at a different spot.
That being said if I lug it off the line or in a parking lot it likes to chatter so i leave a stop at about 1k rpm to avoid it but it's getting better with break in. IDK if my exhaust or paxton drown it out but I hear zero noise from the clutch.
I have zero chatter and no noise from the clutch the issue I was having was getting all the air out after the line and slave/throw out bearing were changed with it... that being said I know the system is self bleeding although 15-17 cars it says to use a vacuum pump... 15-20psi of vacuum for a minute pump 10-12 times and repeat I did this 3 times took about 10 minutes or so and the pedal is PERFECT!! Also did the Barton Hybrid 3 and 4"DSS.. the Barton is way better and I have no vibration or NVH from either.. still in break in of course.. and I hardly drive the car but glad things worked out, the vacuum pump works great saved alot of time.. and wasn't as strenuous

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
RST is not enough for a boosted car if you put a tire on it. My RST gave up as soon as i put a tire on the car, if I go wot the clutch just slips lol. Im having it rebuilt into and rxt 1200 for $600

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mantic here. Have never heard a sound from it. Several thousand miles on it, daily driven and abused at the track.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If anything my RST with steel flywheel is quiter than the stock clutch. Still breaking it in but have not heard any low rpm chatter like a lot of people say.

ROUSHCHARGEDS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roushcharged GTPP
RST is not enough for a boosted car if you put a tire on it. My RST gave up as soon as i put a tire on the car, if I go wot the clutch just slips lol. Im having it rebuilt into and rxt 1200 for $600
How and how often do you drive your car.. I'm not hard on my car only a few track days here and there and roll racing but I don't really drag race alot.. it is a corner carver and I don't beat the he'll out of it.. my stock clutch held for 24k just changed it because I was starting to slip.. if it goes bad I will upgrade to a RXT but as long as it takes what I throw at it I'm gonna keep rolling hope that 1200 works out for ya

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
it starting slipping off of a 40 roll in second gear. I shifted to third and it just slipped, rpms went to redline and I think the clutch glazed over because I tried it since and it just slipped again. Not mad at all, I make 800 wheel I should have done rxt off the bat.
Sponsored