Sponsored

Burned clutch really badly. Need expert advice.

mustang87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT RR - Manual
Guys I need some advice. I made a huge mistake by letting my fiancee's brother (who insisted that he knows how to drive manual) take the car for a spin. Turned out he has never driven a manual car, only motorcycle. He came back within a few minutes and the car reeked with burning clutch smell. When I drove the car again, the clutch definitely felt looser, down to 70-80% stiffness from how it was before. I'm beyond pissed. I'm thinking of taking the car in to get the clutch inspected. Can anything else be damage? How durable is the clutch if I can tell a difference? Help.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mustang87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT RR - Manual
Forgot to mention the car still reeked of the smell after an hour later.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Sorry to hear this. I would let him know he damaged the car and that you are taking it in for inspection. Rather unfortunate.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think they get brittle once they get overheated like that. And can come apart at an inconvenient time. Ideally he will offer to cover some or all the cost to replace the clutch. I would probably just go for an aftermarket high performance clutch and ask that he will split that 50/50 with you.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your future brother-in-law sounds like a real moron. I'd never let anyone but my wife drive my car.

Beef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 S550 GT
letting my fiancee's brother (who insisted that he knows how to drive manual) take the car for a spin.
First mistake....... no one touches my car. Besides with all the horror stories out there about people roasting their clutches I would've been extra weary... but alas the things we do for the "V"

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Guys I need some advice. I made a huge mistake by letting my fiancee's brother (who insisted that he knows how to drive manual) take the car for a spin. Turned out he has never driven a manual car, only motorcycle. He came back within a few minutes and the car reeked with burning clutch smell. When I drove the car again, the clutch definitely felt looser, down to 70-80% stiffness from how it was before. I'm beyond pissed. I'm thinking of taking the car in to get the clutch inspected. Can anything else be damage? How durable is the clutch if I can tell a difference? Help.
It is all guess at this point, smell itself doesn't mean it is badly damaged but likely it's seen some wear. If you want peace of mind, go inspect it and have fiance's brother pay for replacement.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
next time tell whomever wants to drive it where the nearest Ford dealer is, they may let whomever take one of theirs.

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here is the fiancee's brother driving his friend's Corvette last week. :shocked:

Whats sad about that video is CLEARLY whoever was watching and recording noticed that both tires werent spinning, yet they didnt say a word to the guy in the car. That would have been the FIRST thing I noticed and warned him of. Fail for the driver, the guy recording, and whoever was watching. Thats a GROUP FAIL!!!! LOL

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I probably would not be engaged anymore because i would have kicked his ass for lying about driving a stick,and then driving aggressively when not knowing how to drive a stick.What a douche bag.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It's probably fine. Sure he wore it down a bunch, but it's probably fine.
Sponsored