May I introduce you to JR357, the second to last base R

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Today, I finalized the MSRP deal on JR357, which by the way, was communicated to me by Gotti that this was the last base R built. **edited to add, it has been discovered that ltcolton purchased JR394, and as it stands, he has the last base R** I am happy for him and hope he preserves this piece of automotive history.

A while back, there was a buzz about the window closing on the federal mandate for a rear view camera. Nearing that time, a friend ( @Muligan ) was trying to get a base R pushed through production and solicited the help of some movers and shakers to get it done. Well, he squeaked through. Somehow, there was a dealership down in Orlando Florida (Sun state Ford) that accidentally ordered 3 of these vehicles in the base configuration. Well, cars without AC dont sell well in florida and the dealer wound up trading them off around the country. I was interested, but life and events got in the way.

Fast forward to about a week ago. Jon ( @galaxy ) posted a thread about this strange R in a Saint Lous MO showroom that didnt have a radio and nav. I was there on a layover and had no transportation, so I didnt go out to see it. Like a splinter in my mind, I knew something was up with that car. I took a look at the sticker and saw Sun state ford..... could this be, the holy grail sitting in a showroom not drawing much attention?

I made an offer of 3k below sticker. They were 3k ADM. DENIED. I let the day go by and near the end of business call again to meet in the middle at MSRP. I was told I would have an answer the next day in the morning.

The next day, no return call. I am rapidly approaching the point that if I am to go there in person and close the deal, I need to know if my offer was accepted. I shower, get ready, head out to the airport awaiting the final answer. I went through security and was handed a boarding pass. My phone rings, they want 1k over. I said no. I got up and started to walk towards the exit and then they said they would take MSRP.

Fly half the day, uber to the dealer, and then begin the painstaking process of going over every nook and cranny of the car. Once satisfied, the paperwork started. A pleasant surprise was that Jon stopped by and lended a helping hand going over the car. THANK YOU JON! I completed the paperwork and left JR357 in the showroom until the transport will arrive in about 10 days.

I spoke with so many people about this big step. @PP0001 @Muligan Gotti (who confirmed it was the last base) @galaxy @stanglife

Everyone pretty much came to the conclusion that this was a no brainer. As much as I am attached to HR361, it is not anywhere as near as rare as JR357. In a perfect world, I could keep them all, however HR361 has to go.

More to follow
20190130_153313.jpg
20190130_153335.jpg
20190130_153327.jpg
20190130_153351.jpg
20190130_153340.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Nice car! What's the weight savings on a base R? I've always liked the base models, they have more of a race car type feel to them, like the old Cobra R's.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Awesome Tom, congrats.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Congrats Tom! Thanks for the story.

Beautiful car btw. Nice they didn’t go w the PBR. There’s one around my area -same configuration but w the black roof and it’s, IMHO, the ugliest GT350 I’ve seen.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What a great day and what a great car! Thanks for the kind words @Tomster Glad I could help out. This is a great group and always willing to pay it forward. Always cool to see good people make out like this. I am no less disappointed in my car, but it is quite neat how much of an impact the subtle differences (to the unbeknownst eye) between this car and a base can be. Just tried to post the pics I snapped, but work computer says the file is too big, LOL. I'll fix that later. I am super jealous...even more so since I contemplated getting it and passed :( Oh well. Congrats again my brotha!

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Super excited for you Tom - you definitely scored on that one and it's certainly a keeper. As ZZRat said, welcome to the 135 club.... other than track-only specials, these are the last of the stripper cars, most likely, and your's is the last-of-the-last.

I'm still looking for the pics that Gotti or Harry shared a while back, but if I remember correctly, there are pics of your car and its sisters (the Kona and Magnetic base R cars ordered by that dealership by mistake) sitting at FRAP while Ford and the dealership figured out what to do about the SNAFU.

You might also want to reach out to Sun Ford and see if you can get any documentation or maybe an explanation from them to help you document the car... would be nice to have many years down the line.

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Where in STL did you get it? I've been to most dealers, here... haven't seen this thing in the showroom. Either way, Congrats!

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
That's awesome... And a personal "thank you" for buying this car, since it was REALLY tempting me just because of the rarity! (Even though I never really wanted an "R" since I like to be able to take my kids for rides in the back seat.) Well-negotiated too!

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
You know... one of the coolest factors of this car not only being the last of the Base models is the chassis # being 357 as in a great caliber gun! Hmmmmm....... could be a neat license plate!

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Nice car! What's the weight savings on a base R? I've always liked the base models, they have more of a race car type feel to them, like the old Cobra R's.
About 70lbs from an electronics package R and more than 130 over a trackpack car.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Congratulations Tom!!! Great purchase.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
920A is 3655
920A + Electronics Pack is 3710

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
Where in STL did you get it? I've been to most dealers, here... haven't seen this thing in the showroom. Either way, Congrats!
Bommarito Ford, Hazelwood. I thought seriously about this one as well but I couldn't stomach no A/C. Congratulations!!!!
Sponsored