May Have A Rat

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Opened my hood today and noticed tiny footprints on my engine cover. 2018 GT. Can I get the engine cover off without removing the strut tower brace. I didn’t have time to look that close. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
I wasn't able to get mine off without removing the strut tower brace, but that's really easy anyways. I would take a multipronged approach to the rodent. The only thing that seems to repel them is peppermint oil. Put some in a spray bottle or put drops on cotton balls. The engine heat will evaporate it the next time you drive so has to be refreshed frequently though. Secure bait stations are another option.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
You definitely have a rodent. I would avoid bait and go for a direct kill box or wire trap box.

It's well documented that bait/poisons have detrimental effects to the local habitat/ecosystem.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
If your car isn't a daily driver, open the hood after you park it. They are attracted by the heat of the engine and the darkness. At one time I had both a SHO and a Mustang parked in my brother-in-laws summer house. They reeked havoc on the insulation and wiring of BOTH cars.
Trap them don't poison them as they may eat the poison and crawl somewhere you cannot find them resulting in a very nasty smell!
Almost certainly a mouse, not a rat.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Trap them don't poison them as they may eat the poison and crawl somewhere you cannot find them resulting in a very nasty smell!
Gawd, the smell! I had a client with that issue...Would not want to live with that.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Take a closer look, absoulty YES the cover is removable without removing theat strut.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly what happens under our office floor pretty much on a yearly basis ... :puke:

WD :like:

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
Exactly what happens under our office floor pretty much on a yearly basis ... :puke:

WD :like:
Admit it, you just put unwanted food into the voidspace under the office.
I would totally never do that... ever, and i never did....

I found a egg under my hood of my DD, happily that was all besides some mud. And respect for that little bastard to climb up there with a whole chicken egg.
i would go for either repellants or non lethal stuff (electrical) poisoning it might lead to said creature pulling one last joke on you and die inside some cravice.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yea, time to set up baited traps around the car on the ground. That's the only way to zap those rodents.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
If you use snap traps or the like, peanut butter works great as bait.

Sponsored

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Watch your fresh air vent.
I recently got my mustang. A 2017 with 3,000 miles!!!!!

I had a very slight smell. Found a few sunflower shells under the battery case, and some on the cabin filter. Cleaned everything out, luckily no one started to make a nest.

But ensure that air vent is shut. With the car on, go to RECIRC and you should here the shut close. Then turn off the HVAC altogether

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Definitely look under that starwars looking space ship of a engine cover .that rat probably thinks he's Hon solo smuggling all kinds junk. Poop, trash, food maybe got some offspring .don't want it chewing on any wires .mothballs work good for mice ..not so well for rats .pine oil, cinnamon oil, and even peppermint oil offensive to them. Cayenne pepper, cloves, and ammonia will keep rats away .