Maxshine Curved Grip XL Detailing Brush

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Considering the title of the thread, I would suggest the Maxshine ones for half the price. More palatable subjecting a brush to tyre dressing.

Large Brush - Curved Grip, Large Soft Bristle Brush (maxshineusa.com)
Touche :) , I agree with that, I'm still not there with using a brush for tire dressing yet but if I do the Max shine (or even the ones I see from Adams) will probably be my go to. I ordered some Adams Graphene dressing yesterday, I might like a brush for that not sure. My go to dressing right now is still PSS and it is extremely thin and a Microfiber applicator works best for me for that application. I have the really small ones and I just toss them when done.
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
@DFB5.0 you are truly on top of the detailing game! Is there a quick list resource on 6g for a detailing beginner like me to understand what products are good for specific tasks?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Got my Screwball today. Same huge handle as the curve ball but nice stiff boars hair bristles. Should work really well on leather and other heavier tasks that the synthetic isn't stiff enough for. Can't wait to try it :)

Will probably order the Maxshine version too... It's only money :) ..

IMG_0385.jpeg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@DFB5.0 you are truly on top of the detailing game! Is there a quick list resource on 6g for a detailing beginner like me to understand what products are good for specific tasks?
As posted earlier by MAGS1, this is my weekly thread of mostly detailing, mixed with some other interests -
What's In DFB's Cabinet? | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

But this thread will give you the shortlist of products I use and recommend most, with each task listing the best or several best options -
DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING 2023 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
As posted earlier by MAGS1, this is my weekly thread of mostly detailing, mixed with some other interests -
What's In DFB's Cabinet? | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

But this thread will give you the shortlist of products I use and recommend most, with each task listing the best or several best options -
DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING 2023 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com
That second link is perfect thank you!

Jefferson Bruno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jefferson Bruno
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Backstory -

For me, the application of a tyre dressing is my favorite of all detailing tasks, as such, finding the "best" applicator is something I'm always on the lookout for.

For the most part, there is probably no need to complicate this subject, foam applicators have existed for decades to perform this role. But, I have moved away from foam and now have a preference for brushes.

IMG-0368.jpg

IMG-0350.jpg

Why brushes? They are so much cleaner to use, the dressing is applied to the bristles and doesn't transfer back onto your hands like even the best foam applicators do. This all means I don't have to glove up.

Having tried a number of different brushes, some of them basically re-purposed and rebranded cosmetic brushes, I have settled on a couple of key contenders. And I would definitely say size matters, a smaller brush is too inefficient for this role.

jul139.jpg

jul138.jpg

And that's where the Race Glaze XL comes into the equation. This is an extra large boars hair detailing brush that is ordinarily too big for most applications, but excels at tyre dressing...............

IMG-0832.jpg

IMG_9279.jpg

IMG-5485.jpg

This brush can be used on low or high profile tyres with ease, simply spray the dressing into the bristles, then work it into the sidewall.

IMG-0347.jpg

IMG-0351.jpg

IMG-0348.jpg

IMG-0353.jpg

The only drawback to the RaceGlaze brush is the lack of availability in Australia. I got mine from Obsessed Garage, they are also sold at singular local supplier -

Supersize Natural Bristle Detailing brush - raceglaze.com.au

Detailing Brush | RaceGlaze XL | Obsessed Garage Store

The other alternative is to use what's called a chalk brush.............

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3150324...MI44_QtvOGhAMVOxuDAx3ECgM0EAQYEyABEgJP2vD_BwE

chalkb1.jpg

In recent time, I have been using the Detail Factory Curveball brush. Considering how expensive this brush is, it took a me a while to condemn such a nice brush to the job of tyre dressing......................

Detail Factory - Curveball XL Synthetic Brush | The Rag Company

Detail Factory Curveball Large Area Detailing Brush (detailingshed.com.au)

IMG-9354.jpg

IMG-9349.jpg

The best thing about using this brush for tyre dressing is that the soft, fine bristles negate the need to do a final knock back wipe with a towel, the brush finishes down so nicely. I would say that its best used with water-based dressings, a thick solvent dressing would be too thick and sticky for this brush. Also, I have found the brush washes out nicely in water, a little APC if you feel the need.

Since then, I have also found these Maxshine versions. On first glance, these look like a Detail Factory rip-off, but there is some innovation here. Maxshine offer three versions of this brush, the soft synthetic, a boars or mixed hair brush, and the changeable head version that allows the user to unscrew the bristle head from the handle and swap them out as needed.

Large Brush - Curved Grip, Large Soft Bristle Brush (maxshineusa.com)

MaxShine Curved Grip XL Detailing Brush – Mixed Bristle Red (detailingshed.com.au)
MaxShine Curved Grip XL Detailing Brush Ultra Soft Bristle (detailingshed.com.au)
Maxshine Curved Grip XL Detailing Brush Twin Pack (detailingshed.com.au)

IMG-0878.jpg

The synthetic version works in a similar way to the Detail Factory item, again, allowing the dressing to be evenly distributed and levels down superbly. I find the synthetic brush is ideal for tyres of 40 profile and above, any lower and it tends to drag across the wheel face.

IMG-0884.jpg

IMG-0888.jpg

The mixed bristle version is surprisingly soft, way more than you would expect. The bristles are clustered much tighter than the synthetic brush, which is suited to 30 and 35 low profile tires as shown on the XR8 and Jaguar below.

IMG-0882.jpg

IMG-0897.jpg

IMG-0921.jpg

I can safely say this is one of THE BEST ways to apply tyre dressing. In fact, that statement applies to both brushes. Because of the density of bristles, the dressing is easily distributed across the sidewall and into all the groves, but those bristles also mean a follow up knock-down wipe is simply not required. It’s also superbly ergonomic to hold and again negates the need for gloves.

Like the Curveball brush, the only drawback with the two Maxshine brushes is the $27 price compared to a $3.00 foam applicator. However, they are half the price of the Curveball and as many would know, foam starts to get pretty grotty in short order. These brushes will be far more durable and can actually be washed out if desired.

One other brush I have been reaching for on most occasions is The Rag Company Ultra Utility Brush.

While not especially designed with tyre dressing in mind, its actually brilliant for this role. Due to its size, you won’t be using this on low profile tyres, but for SUV and Pickup tyres, its exceptionally efficient. The only thing I would say is that you need to use a more liquid product, think Carpro Perl at 1:1, Duragloss 253, Adam’s Graphene, Angelwax Elixir, Meguiar's Hyper Dressing or P&S Shine All. Also Check Car Detailing Woodbridge Va for top end Detailing Services

Ultra Utility Brush | The Rag Company

The Rag Company Ultra Utility Brush (autobuff.com.au)

IMG-7253.jpg
IMG-7882.jpg
IMG-7887.jpg
Hey D,

Super helpful post this morning showed you’re back! 😊

Your post convinced me to try the Curveball, though the price difference here in AU is crazy. I might also get the Rag Company Utility brush for my truck’s tires. Thanks for the tip. Foam applicators were such a pain. Switching to detailing brushes was great, but the Curveball should save me time.

Thanks for another fantastic post. If someone looked up "the perfect detailer," your picture would be there! Keep them coming!

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Thanks for another fantastic post. If someone looked up "the perfect detailer," your picture would be there! Keep them coming!
Couldn't have said it better, JB. Deyon IS "The Man!" <smile> (Note: I would have posted a photo of our head guru but, I've never seen one. <hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, D> <BSEG>

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Couldn't have said it better, JB. Deyon IS "The Man!" <smile> (Note: I would have posted a photo of our head guru but, I've never seen one. <hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, D> <BSEG>
Oh ok, just this once.........................................

meme101.jpg