Sponsored

Maxshine Curved Grip XL Detailing Brush

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Backstory -

For me, the application of a tyre dressing is my favorite of all detailing tasks, as such, finding the "best" applicator is something I'm always on the lookout for.

For the most part, there is probably no need to complicate this subject, foam applicators have existed for decades to perform this role. But, I have moved away from foam and now have a preference for brushes.

IMG-0368.jpg

IMG-0350.jpg

Why brushes? They are so much cleaner to use, the dressing is applied to the bristles and doesn't transfer back onto your hands like even the best foam applicators do. This all means I don't have to glove up.

Having tried a number of different brushes, some of them basically re-purposed and rebranded cosmetic brushes, I have settled on a couple of key contenders. And I would definitely say size matters, a smaller brush is too inefficient for this role.

jul139.jpg

jul138.jpg

And that's where the Race Glaze XL comes into the equation. This is an extra large boars hair detailing brush that is ordinarily too big for most applications, but excels at tyre dressing...............

IMG-0832.jpg

IMG_9279.jpg

IMG-5485.jpg

This brush can be used on low or high profile tyres with ease, simply spray the dressing into the bristles, then work it into the sidewall.

IMG-0347.jpg

IMG-0351.jpg

IMG-0348.jpg

IMG-0353.jpg

The only drawback to the RaceGlaze brush is the lack of availability in Australia. I got mine from Obsessed Garage, they are also sold at singular local supplier -

Supersize Natural Bristle Detailing brush - raceglaze.com.au

Detailing Brush | RaceGlaze XL | Obsessed Garage Store

The other alternative is to use what's called a chalk brush.............

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3150324...MI44_QtvOGhAMVOxuDAx3ECgM0EAQYEyABEgJP2vD_BwE

chalkb1.jpg

In recent time, I have been using the Detail Factory Curveball brush. Considering how expensive this brush is, it took a me a while to condemn such a nice brush to the job of tyre dressing......................

Detail Factory - Curveball XL Synthetic Brush | The Rag Company

Detail Factory Curveball Large Area Detailing Brush (detailingshed.com.au)

IMG-9354.jpg

IMG-9349.jpg

The best thing about using this brush for tyre dressing is that the soft, fine bristles negate the need to do a final knock back wipe with a towel, the brush finishes down so nicely. I would say that its best used with water-based dressings, a thick solvent dressing would be too thick and sticky for this brush. Also, I have found the brush washes out nicely in water, a little APC if you feel the need.

Since then, I have also found these Maxshine versions. On first glance, these look like a Detail Factory rip-off, but there is some innovation here. Maxshine offer three versions of this brush, the soft synthetic, a boars or mixed hair brush, and the changeable head version that allows the user to unscrew the bristle head from the handle and swap them out as needed.

Large Brush - Curved Grip, Large Soft Bristle Brush (maxshineusa.com)

MaxShine Curved Grip XL Detailing Brush – Mixed Bristle Red (detailingshed.com.au)
MaxShine Curved Grip XL Detailing Brush Ultra Soft Bristle (detailingshed.com.au)
Maxshine Curved Grip XL Detailing Brush Twin Pack (detailingshed.com.au)

IMG-0878.jpg

The synthetic version works in a similar way to the Detail Factory item, again, allowing the dressing to be evenly distributed and levels down superbly. I find the synthetic brush is ideal for tyres of 40 profile and above, any lower and it tends to drag across the wheel face.

IMG-0884.jpg

IMG-0888.jpg

The mixed bristle version is surprisingly soft, way more than you would expect. The bristles are clustered much tighter than the synthetic brush, which is suited to 30 and 35 low profile tires as shown on the XR8 and Jaguar below.

IMG-0882.jpg

IMG-0897.jpg

IMG-0921.jpg

I can safely say this is one of THE BEST ways to apply tyre dressing. In fact, that statement applies to both brushes. Because of the density of bristles, the dressing is easily distributed across the sidewall and into all the groves, but those bristles also mean a follow up knock-down wipe is simply not required. It’s also superbly ergonomic to hold and again negates the need for gloves.

Like the Curveball brush, the only drawback with the two Maxshine brushes is the $27 price compared to a $3.00 foam applicator. However, they are half the price of the Curveball and as many would know, foam starts to get pretty grotty in short order. These brushes will be far more durable and can actually be washed out if desired.

One other brush I have been reaching for on most occasions is The Rag Company Ultra Utility Brush.

While not especially designed with tyre dressing in mind, its actually brilliant for this role. Due to its size, you won’t be using this on low profile tyres, but for SUV and Pickup tyres, its exceptionally efficient. The only thing I would say is that you need to use a more liquid product, think Carpro Perl at 1:1, Duragloss 253, Adam’s Graphene, Angelwax Elixir, Meguiar's Hyper Dressing or P&S Shine All.

Ultra Utility Brush | The Rag Company

The Rag Company Ultra Utility Brush (autobuff.com.au)

IMG-7253.jpg
IMG-7882.jpg
IMG-7887.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
For me, the application of a tyre dressing is my favorite of all detailing tasks, as such, finding the "best" applicator is something I'm always on the lookout for.
I had been wondering if you were just busy or what, D, and then this morning, another extremely helpful post appeared and I knew you were back in spades! <smile>

I too have a thing for dressing tires, (big surprise, right? <grin>,) so you immediately got my attention. After reading it twice and viewing the products, you convinced me to try the Curveball and I ordered one but the PRICE difference between here and there is CRAZY. Hell it is more than twice as much in AU! Again, damn sorry about the prices down under. I may also opt for the Rag Company Utility brush to use on the truck's tires..many thanks.

I also feel you on the foam applicators, (which I used for YEARS,) and put up with the greasy hands and how ugly they became after many applications. Since then (and thanks to you,) I have switched to detailing brushes and much prefer them. But, because they're much smaller in diameter, it takes a good deal longer per tire and the Curveball will cover much more area per swipe and thus, save me time.

But, I didn't want a brush that is so wide that you touch the wheel face and then have to wipe it off, slowing things down. From what you mentioned, I think it will be just the right size for the 30's on the Mustang and 40's on her Cadillac.

BTW, I am SOLD on OG's Tire Dressing and like it even more than Perl plus, it's easier to apply.

Finally, my thanks for another top notch post and if someone were to look up the phrase, "the perfect detailer," there would be a picture of you. <another smile> Please keep them coming.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I had been wondering if you were just busy or what, D, and then this morning, another extremely helpful post appeared and I knew you were back in spades! <smile>

I too have a thing for dressing tires, (big surprise, right? <grin>,) so you immediately got my attention. After reading it twice and viewing the products, you convinced me to try the Curveball and I ordered one but the PRICE difference between here and there is CRAZY. Hell it is more than twice as much in AU! Again, damn sorry about the prices down under. I may also opt for the Rag Company Utility brush to use on the truck's tires..many thanks.

I also feel you on the foam applicators, (which I used for YEARS,) and put up with the greasy hands and how ugly they became after many applications. Since then (and thanks to you,) I have switched to detailing brushes and much prefer them. But, because they're much smaller in diameter, it takes a good deal longer per tire and the Curveball will cover much more area per swipe and thus, save me time.

But, I didn't want a brush that is so wide that you touch the wheel face and then have to wipe it off, slowing things down. From what you mentioned, I think it will be just the right size for the 30's on the Mustang and 40's on her Cadillac.

BTW, I am SOLD on OG's Tire Dressing and like it even more than Perl plus, it's easier to apply.

Finally, my thanks for another top notch post and if someone were to look up the phrase, "the perfect detailer," there would be a picture of you. <another smile> Please keep them coming.
If you find the Curveball too wide on those tires, you can pinch the bristles a little form more of a oval/rectangular shape rather than round, that would slim it down a bit if needed.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Man what a timely post :) I just ordered a synthetic curveball brush Monday. Although I ordered it for use on emblems and that bloody honeycomb grille. Never really thought about using on tires. I have always found the foam applicators work decent for the thick goopy dressings (ie Darkside) and I use the little mini microfiber applicators for the really thin dressings (Ie KCx PSS) and I just throw them away when done. I get a 24 pack of the applicators cheap so not too much of an investment. And I always wear gloves when doing tires :)

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
If you find the Curveball too wide on those tires
Good tip, D, I'll try that if it's necessary on the 30 tires but I think it will be fine. No doubt you do the same thing, i.e., nestle the bristles in behind the wheel lip to get that smooth strip along the bead. That helps prevent the transfer to the wheel and, gets the gnarly tire edges around the outer perimeter.

Man what a timely post :)
Yep, D is quite good at that, isn't he, Alex? ;-)

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Yep, D is quite good at that, isn't he, Alex? ;-)
I agree :) Very good information every time. I can't wait til my curveball gets here. As I mentioned, I don't plan on using for tires but really look forward to getting in those honeycomb bits on my grille, they are a royal pain to clean with a wash mit.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Glad you like it.

The product is not a revolution, but if you like a subtle look, it's one of the better out there. Smells divine too!

IMG-2880.jpg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward to trying it out as well, Alex. I think mine may be here today or tomorrow.
Mine was supposed to be here today but UPS has been way off the last couple weeks after our snow storm. Snow has been gone over a week, not sure what their malfunction is now :(

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Snow has been gone over a week, not sure what their malfunction is now :(
Keep in mind, Alex, if the shipper has severe weather at their sorting facilities, it usually causes delayed shipments for a crap ton of folks.

Mine still hasn't arrived, either.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind, Alex, if the shipper has severe weather at their sorting facilities, it usually causes delayed shipments for a crap ton of folks.

Mine still hasn't arrived, either.
Yeah in my case most of my stuff for work comes from Nashville to Knoxville. And it's taking a week to get here. Give me a break. The snow has been gone 2 weeks now. I could drive there and get it myself in a couple hours each way. In my case, the order from The rag company according to the tracking number arrived in Knoxville Thursday morning at 3 am. Should have been delivered Thursday afternoon normally... But still showing sitting in Knoxville.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
FYI Amazon carries them also. I ordered one this morning. Same as you Alex, I intend to use it for the grille. I have smaller brushes that I currently use, hoping the curveball is a little less tedious. Plus I will be installing the Bullitt lower grille this spring which is gloss black and honeycomb which is going to take some effort to keep clean

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
FYI Amazon carries them also. I ordered one this morning. Same as you Alex, I intend to use it for the grille. I have smaller brushes that I currently use, hoping the curveball is a little less tedious. Plus I will be installing the Bullitt lower grille this spring which is gloss black and honeycomb which is going to take some effort to keep clean
I've watched too many Rag company videos about them LOL. I saw them using on interior too. Dash, seats, lots of cool uses for it. And to be able to clean and hang it up to dry is really nice :)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I've watched too many Rag company videos about them LOL. I saw them using on interior too. Dash, seats, lots of cool uses for it. And to be able to clean and hang it up to dry is really nice :)
Dang it, now I might need to order a second one for interior use 🤣
Sponsored