Sponsored

March Mustang Club (MMC)

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Couple points since I just noticed this thread for some reason:

1. "March" is extremely optimistic. Judging by VINs, Ford is making ~1300 GT500s from late SEP - NOV. That like 550 per month. At that rate, the last 2020 GT500 won't roll off the line until the end of summer. Those in the MMC may start to consider themselves lucky they are not in the "September Mustang Club"

2. GT500s sitting on the lot in Detroit are what Ford calls "inventory". Capital intensive businesses like Ford HATE inventory, they would rather have $$$, not a car sitting around. As much as you want it delivered sooner, trust me Ford also wants your 90 or so grand a few months earlier as well.
Sponsored

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat

1. "March" is extremely optimistic. Judging by VINs, Ford is making ~1300 GT500s from late SEP - NOV. That like 550 per month. At that rate, the last 2020 GT500 won't roll off the line until the end of summer. Those in the MMC may start to consider themselves lucky they are not in the "September Mustang Club"

2. GT500s sitting on the lot in Detroit are what Ford calls "inventory". Capital intensive businesses like Ford HATE inventory, they would rather have $$$, not a car sitting around. As much as you want it delivered sooner, trust me Ford also wants your 90 or so grand a few months earlier as well.
To your 1st point, some people might be in the so sorry not sorry 2021 MY club because there 2020 wasn't built.

Anyone have an experience where their car wasn't built in the specified MY and it moved to the next MY?

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD

1. "March" is extremely optimistic. Judging by VINs, Ford is making ~1300 GT500s from late SEP - NOV. That like 550 per month. At that rate, the last 2020 GT500 won't roll off the line until the end of summer.
At the rate Ford is rescheduling VIN's for later dates every week, they will be lucky to build half that many GT500 between now and the Nov shutdown.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
At the rate Ford is rescheduling VIN's for later dates every week, they will be lucky to build half that many GT500 between now and the Nov shutdown.
I guess that makes MY20 even more exclusive for those who get one.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Good idea, Harry and let's hope no one ends up in that precarious situation.
Fully in agreement with you on that!

What I don't seem to be clear on is whether the GT500's that come with 4S tires will they have this same issue and if cold temperatures are not an issue with the 4S tire does the FRAP plan to continue production for the 4 seat GT500's over the Winter time?

I read an earlier post whereby it seems that the 4S tires may have this same issue but to a lesser degree?

Hopefully the FRAP will be able to continue to assemble base GT500 cars thru December, January and February subject to the tire issue no being a problem as that would sure be nice especially for those located in the Southern and warmer States that will still be able to drive these great cars immediately in the Winter time.:like:

:sunglasses:

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Harry: Perhaps one of the members with contacts will have an answer to the question but it certainly makes good business sense...that is, if it doesn't negatively affect the work force and, can be done cost effectively.

Just did some Web surfing on the 4S tires. Found a few interesting quotes, some back in 2015 when they were SS's I believe. But, Michelin's best at the time and four years ago, they denied any manufacturing defects.

---------------
From Tire Rack Site - No Date Shown (I think this may have been posted but I'm not sure if it was in entirety.)

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

GM Authority Forum

Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - compound cracking damage from near freezing? (APR 2018)

In three years on two Vette forums the only cracked tires I am aware of were two or three and those were on brand new cars coming off a train somewhere in the Midwest in dead of winter. Even then, I do not recall verified proof of such. I daily drive mine and have three seasons of seeing temps down to 15 degrees in the winter and I keep it in a non heated garage.

Certainly wouldn’t drive it in snow nor come close to pushing them close to their limit in those temps. Performance obviously is effected. The tires warm up after a few minutes driving.

No cracks. I am willing to concede that over time in the lower temps that the rubber hardens permanently. Don’t care. They do that anyway and I will need a new set due to mileage before that point.

There are warnings in the owners manual.

The inter web forums are full of tire experts that read the warnings, their car doesn’t get driven from when the leaves turn until pollen starts, and they are certain everyone’s tires are going to disintegrate if they see frost.

My personal opinion is that there is a level of corporate lawyer litigation requirement in the warnings due to reduced performance in the cold that leads to dramatic far to the right warnings. Kinda like hot warnings on coffee.

I just purchased my second set.

The Michelin`s are the only tires I`ve seen this warning. My PSS`s came with the same warning when I bought them last summer (P4S not available in my size yet). I`ve stored them in my garage all winter, which I`m pretty sure got into the low 30`s upper 20F`s a couple of times, but I`ve not seen any cracks. Since we`re still seeing lows in the 20`s I`m nowhere near mounting them yet.

In my younger, more naive years I foolishly ran several sets of Conti, Bridgestone, and Dunlop summer tires year round. I`m quite certain they experienced multiple cycles into the 20`s, if not colder, not to mention driven in snow. None of those sets cracked or experienced any other type of rubber failure. I ran all of them until treadwear dictated replacement, not structural failure.

I can only imagine, Michelin is either putting those warnings out due to an overabundance of caution, or maybe there is something unique about their tire compounds which make them more prone to cold-weather failure than other brands.

MAR 2015

A Michelin rep has now addressed the cracked tire complaints, advising Corvette owners to not drive or move their cars in cold weather if they’d like to prevent cracks from appearing in their tires.

“This winter has been extremely harsh in much of the country and some recently shipped Corvette tires may exhibit cracking. In general, summer tires should never be driven on or moved in temperatures under 20°F because they may crack. Tires should be carefully inspected at the dealership before taking delivery of a vehicle. Never use a tire with freeze cracks, breaks, or damage to the sidewall or tread. For those residing in colder climates, Corvette owners should have a plan for vehicle storage during cold winter months. If your garage drops below 20°F regularly, consider removing tires and storing them inside. If you live in colder climates and want to drive your vehicle in temperatures below 40°F we strongly recommend investing in a set of winter or all-season tires.”

The C7 Z06 owner in this case is from San Diego, so his car likely wasn’t subjected to sub 20°F temperatures while at the dealership. Another forum poster who complained of cracked tires was from Las Vegas, again ruling out the possibility of sub 20°F temps. This makes us think the tire cracking is likely happening at the plant in Bowling Green, or on vehicle transporters. Owners should take the issue up with General Motors rather than Michelin, as it seems to be a delivery issue rather than a manufacturing flaw.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/03...ners-complain-of-cracked-tires/#ixzz61FMOVv4n

-----------------

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
It is not just a Michelin problem. Goodyear had the same problem in the past and probably still does. These were the tires that were on the S197 GT500's and Ford didn't have a problem making cars in the winter months and shipping them out to dealers in snow states..

Goodyear ZL1 tire bulletin.jpg

This is a picture of a cracked GY tire that was posted on SVTP in 2013

2014 Cracked Front Goodyear Tire.jpg

Just Plain Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teddy
Vehicle(s)
Sold - 2015 GT 50 th Anniversary
Only Ford knows the plans for production and numbers, and they do not talk, never, ever.

Went thru the same when I ordered my 2015 GT.
Was produced in March 2015 and sat for an additional 2-3 weeks for inspection because of a possible defect in a heat shield on that production run.

Plenty of other members on this site had same problem. At that time Ford had a rep on the forum.
Talked to Rep on forum, Ford Corp, had my dealer talk to his rep .... nothing.
Only afterward did the reason come out.

We can all use a bit of luck here☘☘

OP
OP
DocGT

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
I live in NorthEastern Ohio.

There is nowhere to drive this car from Nov-Feb, but if I received my car this year, I would absolutely start a YouTube channel called “In My Garage”. I would record a daily video where I sit it in, record cold starts, sit it in some more, and get ready for the first nice weather drive, talk about Shelby ownership, etc.

Ford, if you are listening, I’m “Unscheduled Material Hold”. Help a guy out!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I live in NorthEastern Ohio.

There is nowhere to drive this car from Nov-Feb, but if I received my car this year, I would absolutely start a YouTube channel called “In My Garage”. I would record a daily video where I sit it in, record cold starts, sit it in some more, and get ready for the first nice weather drive, talk about Shelby ownership, etc.

Ford, if you are listening, I’m “Unscheduled Material Hold”. Help a guy out!
Get in line pal, I'm unscheduled clean. :)

Sponsored

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
If you're unsked clean and part of the MMC, then those with material hold must not be getting anything until summer.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Should we adjust the name of the MMC to the MAMMC? March, April, May, Mustang Club?

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red