Sponsored

March 2017 Mustang Sales

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Seems kinda strange they increased supply to 29,200 from 27,000-ish last month, cut production/idled the plant only shipping around 7000 and yet managed to still sell 7000 cars :lol:

I sure hope they haven't started including 3% kickback shipping as a sale. Didn't that get Dodge in trouble?

If the plant only makes 7500 a month and inventory has increased by 2000-3000 up to 29,200, how the hell did they manage another surplus this month?

Unless there are a very good portion of Special Orders this month, which could be possible.

It was explained to me that once a new car leaves the factory, it is sold. It is a done deal and it falls on the dealer (Ford too). The fact is, these "SALES" are what is being shipped to the customer, that is correct. But, a majority of new vehicles SOLD are from the Manufacturer to their customer, a Franchised Dealership at INVOICE.

The situation with the Camaro now is, NOBODY is buying them and Chevy still continues to produce and ship them whether the dealer wants them or not. Chevy will continue to force this product on the dealers until they make back at least 70% of what the Camaro cost.

This is the absolute worse case scenario for a new car. I think the added stress of paying for the platform burdened the product to unnecessary extremes.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I agree that they don't publish, but Automotive News estimated it at 30% a month or so back. I know that National/Enterprise has a ton because I rent them.
Considering in 2016, the V6 represented only ~24% of overall S550 sales...that 30% number is impossible. That is of course...unless you meant 30% of the v6 sales, which would represent a mere 7.4% of total sales.

Here is the thread with S550 production numbers...

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74791

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Mustang sales are only good because of fleet sales. Lots of V6 cars in rental fleets. I rent them most weeks to help appreciate my V8.
Soumds like someone else is spending to much time over onC6g.:D

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Mustang sales are only good because of fleet sales. Lots of V6 cars in rental fleets. I rent them most weeks to help appreciate my V8.
alot of people use mustang that must be alot of people like mustang.

Sponsored

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
If I were GM and a Camaro fan , I would be extremely embarrassed to be trailing YTD sales to a vehicle with a platform from 2009.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
If I were GM and a Camaro fan , I would be extremely embarrassed to be trailing YTD sales to a vehicle with a platform from 2009.
The Camaro did finish 2nd place this month! Dodge may be lying about sales too!

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Why do we do this camaro vs mustang sales # thing each month. We're all car enthusiasts. Some of us bought a camaro, some of us bought a mustang. Who cares.
It's more tribalistic nonsense that we see everywhere. At one time, our culture was starting to evolve away from that...but clearly, progress is not a straight line.

We like to feel as though we made a good choice. When more Mustangs sell, we feel like we are the winners.
Are you still not sure if you got a good deal on your purchase? Are you still not sure if you like the car?

It matters because it's a true tell sign of the future of the Mustang, performance cars in general. It's interesting to see the patterns and changes every month throughout the years. It's interesting to see how weather, politics, market changes can change the sales. Why does it matter to you if it matters to other people? If you have no interest, then why are you in a thread about it? :lol:
^This is why I'm personally interested. I think the auto industry is fascinating. These trends tell us a lot about where things are headed in terms of market preferences...which in turn, speaks volumes about manufacturing, technology, and our culture. It's as interesting from an economic perspective as it is from a tech geek perspective or a sociological perspective.

I don't care who "wins" these numbers. I'm just happy any time there are strong sales for the kinds of cars that I enjoy driving...because it means that they will keep making them. I also really like to see competition because that means that the products coming down the road are going to be better and better.

Let's not go back to 2005-2009 when the Mustang ran unopposed and would get beat to 60 by any turbo import. Yes, I owned one of those cars and I loved it but it was an easy kill for any WRX and it was embarrassing.

EDIT: I do have to confess that I am thrilled to see the Challenger holding its own. Even if I never buy one, those cars turn my head right around every time I see one on the road. :cool:

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
So you think that car buying is a competitive sport...
course it is
go to any car show and see, our cars are like us, and we all have BIG egos.
As for a footy team, I want all my rivals to burn in the fires of hell
:D

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Seems kinda strange they increased supply to 29,200 from 27,000-ish last month, cut production/idled the plant only shipping around 7000 and yet managed to still sell 7000 cars :lol:

I sure hope they haven't started including 3% kickback shipping as a sale. Didn't that get Dodge in trouble?

If the plant only makes 7500 a month and inventory has increased by 2000-3000 up to 29,200, how the hell did they manage another surplus this month?

Unless there are a very good portion of Special Orders this month, which could be possible.

It was explained to me that once a new car leaves the factory, it is sold. It is a done deal and it falls on the dealer (Ford too). The fact is, these "SALES" are what is being shipped to the customer, that is correct. But, a majority of new vehicles SOLD are from the Manufacturer to their customer, a Franchised Dealership at INVOICE.

The situation with the Camaro now is, NOBODY is buying them and Chevy still continues to produce and ship them whether the dealer wants them or not. Chevy will continue to force this product on the dealers until they make back at least 70% of what the Camaro cost.

This is the absolute worse case scenario for a new car. I think the added stress of paying for the platform burdened the product to unnecessary extremes.
I think the special orders are it. At this point, ZL1 production is running strong and now that it's spring I think lots of people are ordering those. I have a friend that works at a Chevy dealer (we can still be friends :D) and while the standard Camaros sit, ZL1s keep flying out the door and still have a wait list of people. I'd attribute all of the Camaro sales boost this month to the ZL1. I think it'll be the main thing propping up Camaro sales all year.
Sponsored