Sponsored

March 2017 Mustang Sales

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I think the special orders are it. At this point, ZL1 production is running strong and now that it's spring I think lots of people are ordering those. I have a friend that works at a Chevy dealer (we can still be friends :D) and while the standard Camaros sit, ZL1s keep flying out the door and still have a wait list of people. I'd attribute all of the Camaro sales boost this month to the ZL1. I think it'll be the main thing propping up Camaro sales all year.
Is your data anecdotal, or do you have hard numbers for zl1 sales?
I find it difficult to believe they sold several thousand zl1's last month.
Especially considering that out of over 29,000 Camaros currently on dealer lots, 410 of them are zl1s. Also consider overall stock on lots has gone up since last month.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Is your data anecdotal, or do you have hard numbers for zl1 sales?
I find it difficult to believe they sold several thousand zl1's last month.
Especially considering that out of over 29,000 Camaros currently on dealer lots, 410 of them are zl1s. Also consider overall stock on lots has gone up since last month.
Purely anecdotal. I wish there was a breakdown for the different trim levels of all three cars. I find it hard to believe there's 410 ZL1s sitting on lots unless other dealers are just ordering configurations for inventory that nobody wants. Or unless there's markups on those ones. I've heard there's a bit of that going on at the moment too because of the demand for them. Anyway, my ZL1 theory was just conjecture, but Camaro sales were what, ~6,000 for February? So they'd only have to sell 1,000 ZL1s to get to the number they're at for March.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I think the special orders are it. At this point, ZL1 production is running strong and now that it's spring I think lots of people are ordering those. I have a friend that works at a Chevy dealer (we can still be friends :D) and while the standard Camaros sit, ZL1s keep flying out the door and still have a wait list of people. I'd attribute all of the Camaro sales boost this month to the ZL1. I think it'll be the main thing propping up Camaro sales all year.
That might be part of it. Out of the 5 local dealers, only 1 had a ZL1 on the lot and it was over MSRP. The ZL1 demand is high, since it just launched but will be saturated quickly as there is not a lot of demand for $60k american muscle cars like the GT350/ZL1. Both are impressive cars with great performance #'s, but both are also $60k.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Purely anecdotal. I wish there was a breakdown for the different trim levels of all three cars. I find it hard to believe there's 410 ZL1s sitting on lots unless other dealers are just ordering configurations for inventory that nobody wants. Or unless there's markups on those ones. I've heard there's a bit of that going on at the moment too because of the demand for them. Anyway, my ZL1 theory was just conjecture, but Camaro sales were what, ~6,000 for February? So they'd only have to sell 1,000 ZL1s to get to the number they're at for March.

February Camaro sales were 4,658.
I got my info from Cars.com
You can see whats currently available on lots, and narrow by keywords/trim

New Camaros with "zl1" keyword returned 415 hits.

EDITED - at least 200 of those were false positives. The number is actually in the 200's.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
February Camaro sales were 4,658.
I got my info from Cars.com
You can see whats currently available on lots, and narrow by keywords/trim

New Camaros with "zl1" keyword returned 415 hits.

EDITED - at least 200 of those were false positives. The number is actually in the 200's.
Yeah, I was gonna say, using the keyword might be a bit misleading. I'm not sure if Autotrader gets all dealer stock but Autotrader actually lets you filter by trim and is showing 117 ZL1s on dealer lots. As I thought, some of them were showing markups anywhere from 4k over msrp up to 13k over msrp. Many were listed at msrp or 1k or 2k below. And like the Shelbys, sometimes the markups aren't listed online but once you talk to the dealer, they want a markup. Not trying to make excuses for low Camaro sales btw. By this point we know the 6g Camaro formula isn't translating into sales for Chevy and I don't think that situation will have a hope of changing until a refresh and price drop are put into play. There's only so many Camaro enthusiasts out there, they need to appeal to the masses now.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
If I were GM and a Camaro fan , I would be extremely embarrassed to be trailing YTD sales to a vehicle with a platform from 2009.
well,as it has been said,the CRAPMARO doesnt really appeal to most people.it is made from the Gigantic Mistake.:lol::cheers:

Sponsored

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
The sales competition threads started originally back in the Camaro5 days when the Gen 5 Camaro was putting an absolute epic beatdown on the S197. It was threads that went on and on for "Camaro is king!" "Who cars about raw track performance when you're the sales champ!!" etc.

So in the fall of 2014 when that suddenly stopped..it became "Meh..who cares how well it sells".

The moral of the story is that it only doesn't matter when the car you prefer is behind/ "losing".
Geen 5 Camaro was putting the beatdown on the S197 until 2011, when the Coyote debuted as well as the 305hp V6.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Maybe it's having an opposite effect, folks that were holding back to get the 2018 decided to get the 2017?
I do think this is playing a bigger part than most expect.

I think there are at least 3 of us on here, I am one, who waited to see the '18 and then promptly ordered my'17.

3 is not a lot, but when you think this forum is... What?... 3% of the 6g owners (being very generous), that make 3 a little bigger.

Irregardless (<-- love ding that to bug people :) )... Unless there is a serious disruption the mustang will continue to out sell the other 2 competitors for the foreseeable future.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I do think this is playing a bigger part than most expect.

I think there are at least 3 of us on here, I am one, who waited to see the '18 and then promptly ordered my'17.

3 is not a lot, but when you think this forum is... What?... 3% of the 6g owners (being very generous), that make 3 a little bigger.

Irregardless (<-- love ding that to bug people :) )... Unless there is a serious disruption the mustang will continue to out sell the other 2 competitors for the foreseeable future.
The casual buyer probably does not even know about the 2018 changes. You have people that don't want to wait or may need a car and can't wait. The 6th gen has only been out three model years as well so it is not exactly old. But sales may slow down a bit but it doesn't appear that way.

Certain groups make the car out be a pile of junk but it sells and continues to sell. The 6th gen Mustang has been a huge success overall and the refresh will carry on the sales success most likely.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I am one of those people that decided to buy now rather than wait. For me it came down to a couple things:

Timing - to buy a Mustang in September means only a couple of months before winter, and missing all of summer.

Price - good discounts on the current model, doubt we see any significant discounts on the 18 until 2018 Q1 at the earliest. Also I look for the 18 to be at least 1k or more on top of the current prices.

Changes - I don't hate the look of the 18, to me it is fine. None of the extra stuff (aside from the quad exhaust) is a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored