Sponsored

March 2017 Mustang Sales

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The casual buyer probably does not even know about the 2018 changes. You have people that don't want to wait or may need a car and can't wait. The 6th gen has only been out three model years as well so it is not exactly old. But sales may slow down a bit but it doesn't appear that way.

Certain groups make the car out be a pile of junk but it sells and continues to sell. The 6th gen Mustang has been a huge success overall and the refresh will carry on the sales success most likely.
I've said this before, but I strongly believe Ford is really going after the buyers they missed out on that didn't care for the air craft carrier hood and few hard plastics in the interior. The engine update is out of necessity...as the F150 goes, so does the mustang. This go around isn't going to be about beating the competition in performance, but to wring out as many sales on the S550 platform as possible before the S650 is released in a few years.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The casual buyer probably does not even know about the 2018 changes. You have people that don't want to wait or may need a car and can't wait. The 6th gen has only been out three model years as well so it is not exactly old. But sales may slow down a bit but it doesn't appear that way.

Certain groups make the car out be a pile of junk but it sells and continues to sell. The 6th gen Mustang has been a huge success overall and the refresh will carry on the sales success most likely.
I've said this before, but I strongly believe Ford is really going after the buyers that they missed out on that didn't care for the air craft carrier hood and few hard plastics in the interior. The engine update is out of necessity...as the F150 goes, so does the mustang. This go around isn't going to be about beating the competition in performance, but to wring out as many sales on the S550 platform as possible before the S650 is released in a few years.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
The good news for Ford is they have a several thousand dollar cushion to raise the 18 price and still be cheaper than camaro with the same options. I just ran the numbers on an equally speced mustang GTPP premium with redline and camaro less active exhaust, magnaride, suspension lower kit etc, but added their $3k+ 6 piston brake kit.
Mustang came in at $41k msrp+destination
camaro came in at $47k msrp+destination

Mustang gets magnaride and active exhaust which will lessen the available tech and performance gap. Unless Ford jacks the price through the roof for the standard equipment they will still be far better in the price bracket.

Id say we see this sales trend continue at least until the camaro refresh. If camaro can't fix their visibility issue (which I imagine they can't without a full tear-up) mustang should be sales king until C7G.

Sorry Camaro, better luck next time!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I think the special orders are it. At this point, ZL1 production is running strong and now that it's spring I think lots of people are ordering those. I have a friend that works at a Chevy dealer (we can still be friends :D) and while the standard Camaros sit, ZL1s keep flying out the door and still have a wait list of people. I'd attribute all of the Camaro sales boost this month to the ZL1. I think it'll be the main thing propping up Camaro sales all year.
If sales drop again next month, we will know if they were sales that hadn't shipped yet.

Special Orders do help new product and that's the only explanation we can see. How can you sell more cars than you make and still gather 2000-3000 car surplus?

You start counting the sales of cars not even built yet :lol:

By August, the entire Camaro situation will melt down. 45,000 unsold cars, a single shift making 4000 a month, a run-away MSRP and competition has already made the product obsolete.

Maybe they sell 60,000 cars this year... they still have MY18 and possibly MY19 before any changes come. Yet the MSRP is set to increase again in August:(

Good bye Camaro....

Pedal2Metal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500, 2019 Explorer
I am one of those people that decided to buy now rather than wait. For me it came down to a couple things:

Timing - to buy a Mustang in September means only a couple of months before winter, and missing all of summer.

Price - good discounts on the current model, doubt we see any significant discounts on the 18 until 2018 Q1 at the earliest. Also I look for the 18 to be at least 1k or more on top of the current prices.

Changes - I don't hate the look of the 18, to me it is fine. None of the extra stuff (aside from the quad exhaust) is a deal breaker for me.
Exactly! ....and, NO Grabber Blue in 2018, the clincher for me.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Id say we see this sales trend continue at least until the camaro refresh. If camaro can't fix their visibility issue (which I imagine they can't without a full tear-up) Mustang should be sales king until C7G.

Sorry Camaro, better luck next time!
Sales will continue drop here there won't be a c7g
Mustang kills camaro for a second and hopefully last time :ford:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
If sales drop again next month, we will know if they were sales that hadn't shipped yet.

Special Orders do help new product and that's the only explanation we can see. How can you sell more cars than you make and still gather 2000-3000 car surplus?

You start counting the sales of cars not even built yet :lol:

By August, the entire Camaro situation will melt down. 45,000 unsold cars, a single shift making 4000 a month, a run-away MSRP and competition has already made the product obsolete.

Maybe they sell 60,000 cars this year... they still have MY18 and possibly MY19 before any changes come. Yet the MSRP is set to increase again in August:(

Good bye Camaro....
Yeah I think things at GM within the Camaro department are more dire than people recognize. Honestly they should completely stop regular MY2017 Camaro production for as long as needed. There's probably already enough 2017s built to last till the MY2018s arrive at the current sales pace. Why they continue to run the plant like sales are great is beyond me. Build a few hundred ZL1s a month and that's it. They're just making their situation worse. My guess is a very short 2018 model year and an emergency aggressive refresh for MY2019. That's as fast as they can do it really and I think they are. This Camaro was spied with heavy camo. Some say it's a Z/28, but their efforts to cover things like the headlights makes me think this is an early refresh. It won't fix the visibility but maybe this time they'll make it look more like a totally new car.
cdauto-camaro-3117-2-1.jpg

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Why do we do this camaro vs mustang sales # thing each month ... Who cares.
Are you serious? lol

Why do I root for one football team vs. another? We're all football fans. Who cares.

See how that sounds? Rivalries are a great thing, as it makes things better.
Common sense. :thumbsup:

So you think that car buying is a competitive sport...
So you think sitting in the stands/on your couch rooting for teams is a competitive sport?

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
It's not a good thing to say goodbye to competition.
We might still be rocking a 3V right now if it wasn't for the other big two
There's a few Members here that don't realize this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
It's not a good thing to say goodbye to competition.
We might still be rocking a 3V right now if it wasn't for the other big two
The Camaro doesn't compete with the Mustang anymore. It competes with supercars. Without the Mustang the Camaro would still be the same supercar it is today. So that is not exactly true for something like the Camaro. Sorry, been on the other side too much, someone slap me!:doh:

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
The Camaro doesn't compete with the Mustang anymore. It competes with supercars. Without the Mustang the Camaro would still be the same supercar it is today. So that is not exactly true for something like the Camaro. Sorry, been on the other side too much, someone slap me!:doh:
Stay off of C6G.:D

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Stay off of C6G.:D
Profit margins. Fleet sales. Profit margins. Fleet sales. Profit margins. Fleet sales. At least thePill got some shade thrown his way!

When the 2018 Mustang releases all hell is going to break loose.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
Sales will continue drop here there won't be a c7g
Mustang kills camaro for a second and hopefully last time :ford:
i hope the SCRAPMARO dies too!!screw Garbage Motors.the undercover chevy lovers forget when the GT500 came out again it was not because shitty chevy or dodge had something out,that made FORD say,ooooo we need something to compete in that section too.:lol::cheers:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The whole "fleet sales don't count" crap has been the talking point for the idiots at Camaro6, especially Medisin, ever since the 6th Gen failed to break the S550's sales lead.

They start going on and on about profit per car, etc...yet tons of inventory is going stale on their lots.

Anything they can do to prop up their overpriced, impractical, cramped and already somewhat stale design.
Sponsored