Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have not, I honestly figure that its all of the slop in the 2piece DS and the factory half shafts as well as the tranny/shifter linkage.

I plan on changing halfshafts, driveshaft and shifter with a possible bracket and see what that does for rigidity. Unless of course someone knows something that I don't.:shrug:
I understand, Tele5.0. Let me know if you ever decide to bring it in.

Deysha
Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Have you guys been able to address this with your Ford Dealers? If so, what have they said?

Deysha
I have not -- I'm kind of waiting to see how all this plays out, and see to a certain extent what the consensus is on all this. I've done a little "practice shifting" -- going back and forth between two gears and really focusing on making each shift smooth -- it seems like when things are warmed up, it's a little better, and I've also moved the seat up some as to really pin the clutch to the floor hard. There are no two adjacent pair of gears that ALWAYS feel funny... I've only owned manual equipped cars, and the car I leave at the Metro everyday has 156k miles on the original clutch, so I'm pretty certain it's nothing to do with my driving technique. Somewhere on here I'd read that the older MT82 in the outgoing car had a TSB about adding friction modifier -- but that the current spec doesn't explicitly mention it? I don't recall where I saw it on here exactly.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't been alarmed enough by any sound to want to have it looked at by the dealer. I've heard some misc sounds but have chalked it up to getting used to a new car with new sounds. My main concern is making sure that I'm not going to trash the synchros.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have not -- I'm kind of waiting to see how all this plays out, and see to a certain extent what the consensus is on all this. I've done a little "practice shifting" -- going back and forth between two gears and really focusing on making each shift smooth -- it seems like when things are warmed up, it's a little better, and I've also moved the seat up some as to really pin the clutch to the floor hard. There are no two adjacent pair of gears that ALWAYS feel funny... I've only owned manual equipped cars, and the car I leave at the Metro everyday has 156k miles on the original clutch, so I'm pretty certain it's nothing to do with my driving technique. Somewhere on here I'd read that the older MT82 in the outgoing car had a TSB about adding friction modifier -- but that the current spec doesn't explicitly mention it? I don't recall where I saw it on here exactly.
I haven't been alarmed enough by any sound to want to have it looked at by the dealer. I've heard some misc sounds but have chalked it up to getting used to a new car with new sounds. My main concern is making sure that I'm not going to trash the synchros.
I understand, guys. Please let me know if you do bring them in, so I can escalate your concerns for you.

Deysha

GT 50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium 50th
I understand, guys. Please let me know if you do bring them in, so I can escalate your concerns for you.

Deysha
No offense, but many of us have already done this only to be told it is normal, and all the cars on the lot do it. I already took mine in to be told the same. I think many here don't want to waste their time to be told there is nothing that can be done and that it is "Normal."

There has been all kinds of speculation on here as to the cause, but so far no one has been able to verify an aftermarket solution that can repeatedly solve the problem. I doubt Ford is going to go out of their way to fix something that isn't causing failures at this point. We are approaching a year since production started and it's still a mystery thud. Until there is a TSB the dealers aren't gonna do squat.

Sponsored

FiveO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I agree, its too common of a problem. The engineers should try and come up with a solution and offer it to the consumers in a TSB. Know doubt they're aware of this obvious flaw. But there's no money in it for dealers to chase noises. They will keep your car for a day or two then go to lunch with it, and return it, noise included, or can't duplicate.

FiveO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It annoys the hell out of me, each and every time I hear it. Which is about 80% of stop and go driving. These things are too expensive to sound like they're falling apart. No excuse not to do it right. They continue to raise msrp, but have the same flaws.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No offense, but many of us have already done this only to be told it is normal, and all the cars on the lot do it. I already took mine in to be told the same. I think many here don't want to waste their time to be told there is nothing that can be done and that it is "Normal."

There has been all kinds of speculation on here as to the cause, but so far no one has been able to verify an aftermarket solution that can repeatedly solve the problem. I doubt Ford is going to go out of their way to fix something that isn't causing failures at this point. We are approaching a year since production started and it's still a mystery thud. Until there is a TSB the dealers aren't gonna do squat.
I understand where you’re coming from, GT 50. Ford technicians are the most qualified to determine the root cause of your vehicle's problem and that is why we always recommend having cars inspected at a dealership. If you have already had your vehicle inspected, your VIN will allow me to review the technician's comments and document the issue for Ford Engineering to review.

Only documented problems within the Ford system can be properly reviewed by Ford Engineering. I encourage anyone who has experienced this thud issue on their 2015 Mustang and has visited their dealer, to PM me your VIN, dealers, mileage, full names, and best daytime numbers so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha

serviator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
Another customer with the thud issue

Hi Deysha,

I just created an account here, to let you know that I am also experiencing the thud issue in my 2015 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package car. It's really noticable when I shift from and to 1, 2, 3, 4 and it's quieter but still there shifting 5 and 6.

I have visited two dealerships and both places a tech went on a test drive, only to tell me it was normal driving characteristics. At one of the dealerships, they let me go on a short test drive in another new 2015 Mustang GT which had the same noise when shifting.

When I originally test drove several 2015 Mustang GTs, none of them had the thud. My own car didn't develop the thud until I had owned it for a couple of weeks.

This is my second brand new Mustang and I spent $45,000 on this one. I am a huge Mustang fan, but if this is considered normal characteristics, I will not be buying another Mustang. I know my car is built on a $23,800 platform, but it is no excuse for poor workmanship.

I will PM you my VIN and other relevant information, and hope you can help solve this issue.

Thanks!
Michael

2015MagneticGt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Comp Orange

Deysha

I too have been told it's normal. There is no way its normal as I have had 6 other Manual transmission high performance cars. This is my first ford, if this is normal with a ford I will not be buying another.

Plus if you look at the 11-14 5.0's there have been quite a few mt82 failures.
The techs really need to get on this, and figure out what is going on here.:frusty:

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi Deysha,
I just created an account here, to let you know that I am also experiencing the thud issue in my 2015 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package car. It's really noticable when I shift from and to 1, 2, 3, 4 and it's quieter but still there shifting 5 and 6. ...
Welcome and thanks, serviator! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

I too have been told it's normal. There is no way its normal as I have had 6 other Manual transmission high performance cars. This is my first ford, if this is normal with a ford I will not be buying another. ...
You’re welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealer, 2015MagneticGt. Let me know if you’d like me to escalate this for you as well.

Deysha

BLKONBLK2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I picked up my 2015 a few weeks ago. Its a Premium GT with PP. I noticed the thud almost immediately. Annoying, but not wasting my time at the dealer only to be told it's normal. I do have a dash rattle that I am going to take it in for......way more annoying...

EchoTango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt PP
I picked up my 2015 a few weeks ago. Its a Premium GT with PP. I noticed the thud almost immediately. Annoying, but not wasting my time at the dealer only to be told it's normal. I do have a dash rattle that I am going to take it in for......way more annoying...
This is not "NORMAL":headbonk: I agree. I'm not wasting hours at dealer for an answer, "It's Normal." If it were normal, all manual cars would do it and they don't. Ford is losing sales over this and its newfound rep. They've had plenty of time over the past five years to engineer this problem. Man, we put people on the Moon 46 years ago, and we brought them back. Ford can surely fix this and soon. :ford:

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
It's technically not considered normal for "Ford", however, in the BMW world where Getrag's are used more frequently, it is "normal." A good buddy of mine has owned nothing but BMWs his entire life, all manuals with Getrag transmissions, he drives me car and looks at me and goes, " this is a Getrag transmission isn't it." He explained that every BMW with Getrag transmissions that he has driven does the thud and the notchy gear shifts. Funny thing, in the BMW world, people have issues with the clunkiness, but never problems with failure.

Kris

EchoTango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt PP
It's technically not considered normal for "Ford", however, in the BMW world where Getrag's are used more frequently, it is "normal." A good buddy of mine has owned nothing but BMWs his entire life, all manuals with Getrag transmissions, he drives me car and looks at me and goes, " this is a Getrag transmission isn't it." He explained that every BMW with Getrag transmissions that he has driven does the thud and the notchy gear shifts. Funny thing, in the BMW world, people have issues with the clunkiness, but never problems with failure.

Kris
I owned a new Bimmer Z3, 3.01 for years and it never had a clunk. Likewise with a 350Z. I don't think German engineers would allow any inconsistent performance. I love my GT and just want Ford to at least address the problem. I hope they fix the Euro version or the old men on Top Gear are going to be pretty nasty.
Sponsored