Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I just got mine back from the dealership and apparently I am the third person to bring one in with the same problem at this tiny shop.

The official answer from Ford is "because numerous vehicles are experiencing the same concern it is advised that no further repair attempts should be made as this is an operating characteristic of the vehicle."

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
The official answer from Ford is "because numerous vehicles are experiencing the same concern it is advised that no further repair attempts should be made as this is an operating characteristic of the vehicle."
We need someone to get his in writing and then sticky it

You can only imagine that a large majority of yet to join future members who get a 15+ PP are going to be posting about this, and it cant be expected of them to read through a 20+ page thread to see it is a common thing for these cars.

Just like myself, im sure everyone was a little concerned about the noise at one point. Just think if the internet didn't exist...

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a GT PP. It has about 300 miles on it now. I have a very slight thunk when going from neutral to first but nothing unusual to me. Neutral to reverse is no problem at all. To me it sounds like drivetrain noise, maybe a little slack that is built-in. No thunks when shifting gears. I've had multiple people riding in it and no comments from them about a noise.

I have noticed some variation in shift effort / feel which makes me think there is either some movement from when the engine torques, or just maybe the car is still tight from being new and the torque creates a bind somewhere? I ordered a Steeda trans bracket bushing. Figured it couldn't hurt and it's only $30. Even as-is this car doesn't shift that bad to me, but then I haven't been doing high rpm shifts or drag racing it. I have made a couple of quick 1-2 pulls and the shifting was fine. No doubt, there IS room for improvement. Get the shifting smooth and this car is a "10".

Sponsored

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
I have a non-PP GT, and I have a slight noise too in these same circumstances, more of a light "click" than a thud. Doesn't seem to affect the shifts at all, glad to hear it is nothing to worry about. I did a get thud once when shifting to 5th under hard acceleration, but that may have been me letting off the clutch too quickly (maybe the synchros?)

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that it is a characteristic of the transmission, but it may well be exaggerated by the driveline. Added lash in any of the spline joints or the added multiplication of different R&P gear ratios make some variants seems worse than others. But I still think the root of the issue is in the gearbox.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I added the Steeda trans bracket bushing last night. Out of the box, there was too much nvh for me. I ended up lopping off the flat center section and tried it again. I may trim it a tiny bit more to my liking but now it's at a point I can live with. The shifting seems a little more positive and smooth, but not a day and night difference. The neutral to first gear thud is still there, but honestly it has never been enough to either worry or bother me. It may have diminished the thud a little. I don't recall a thud shifting between gears today. I have tossed around doing a Blowfish bracket. Maybe later. I did it mainly to make shifting feel and effort more consistent.

One thing I noticed with this trans from day one is 1-2 shifts can be notchy at low speeds. I simply ease it in, letting the trans mesh up and it's all good. When I get the rpm up and shift 1-2 it's smooth as I could want. Also, coming out of neutral to 1st, I almost never clutch it then immediately shift in. I rather give it a second or two after pushing in the clutch, then move the lever. I'm actually happy with the MT82, just learning it's idiosyncrasies.

Budnr22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Oxford - Tech Pack
Genxer, I had same experience. I also installed the shifter mount and that is giving me too much noise and vibration in the cabin. About to pull that out.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Genxer, I had same experience. I also installed the shifter mount and that is giving me too much noise and vibration in the cabin. About to pull that out.
If it's the same part I installed, just cut the center tab off instead of taking it completely out. Nothing to lose.

Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

Try drilling a hole in the middle of the bushing, that tends to lessen the NVH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Try drilling a hole in the middle of the bushing, that tends to lessen the NVH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave is right .. I Drilled a 7/8 hole in the bushing ..It really helps ....:thumbsup:

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
I love the added NVH from my new steeda trans bushing. Finally eliminated some of the disconnected driver feeling of the car. Finally feel like me, the motor, and the trans are becoming close friends and I enjoy all the new feedback. :thumbsup:

If you want quiet and smooth the trans cross-member bushing is probably not for you, but if you like driving a car that is more track like and more "solid", id def suggest the bushing.

Now im just waiting on the blowfish bracket to arrive :hail:

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Mine makes a thudding noise when shifting into 1st and 2nd and sometimes 3rd, and I hear/feel a much lighter thud when letting the clutch out, but only under easy driving conditions. When I'm accelerating briskly, all of the noises go away. The thud while shifting is the synchros. I figured it would go away in warmer weather, and as it broke in more. My theory about the light thud sound/feel when letting the clutch out is due to stiff clutch damping springs on the clutch plate itself, and not driveline slack (can also explain away some of the bucking while shifting that others including myself have experienced).

I'm honestly not worried about any of it at all. I have not yet had a missed shift, or hard to hit gear, or any other nastiness yet, just what I would consider normal manual transmission noises. I've never driven a manual transmission that didn't make its fair share of synchro and clutch noise. They are after all, a box full of gears rotating at high speed.
I don't have mine yet but I do remember the noises of the first generation 4 speed manual transmissions. The clicking of the then noisy shifter from gear to gear, the spinning of the first round of great syncros spinning that next gear and the whine of those gears during acceleration.

:D

I'm staying tuned to find out if there is a fix or this thud indicates a future breakage that we shouldn't be responsible for.

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic 5.0 PP Recaros
We need someone to get his in writing and then sticky it

You can only imagine that a large majority of yet to join future members who get a 15+ PP are going to be posting about this, and it cant be expected of them to read through a 20+ page thread to see it is a common thing for these cars.

Just like myself, im sure everyone was a little concerned about the noise at one point. Just think if the internet didn't exist...
Just picked up my 15 PP and glad i started at the end of the thread... lol
Sponsored