Manual S/C 5.0 Surge while in traffic

Plati_G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F150, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
I have a 2016 Mustang GT with a manual transmission. The car has the Ford Racing / Rush 2.3L supercharger on it. When I leave work and get stuck in the evening traffic the car has a tendency to surge up close to 2k RPMs. The car is in neutral, and my foot is nowhere near the gas. I have also made sure that the floor mat isn't somehow affecting the gas pedal. The car has done it since I bought it, but now it is a lot my noticeable with the louder exhaust. Any opinions as to what it could be?
Sponsored

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
tuned?
mine does it when coating sometimes when moving, not stationary

OP
OP
Plati_G

Plati_G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
tuned?
It is on the stock calibration from Roush. It was a dealer installed kit that was done by the original owner. I am getting it dyno tuned soon. You think that tuning may address that issue?

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Do you have a way to datalog the car while it is doing it?

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
It could be the stock Roush tune if you are on an older revision. It could also be that your heat exchanger pump is bad and not pumping causing high IAT2 temps when you are sitting idle.

Try to log your IAT2 temp. You can do this with an OBD2 adapter and something like the Torque app on your phone. You can also buy something like an Aerometer Interceptor gauge to watch it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Plati_G

Plati_G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Plati_G

Plati_G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
It could be the stock Roush tune if you are on an older revision. It could also be that your heat exchanger pump is bad and not pumping causing high IAT2 temps when you are sitting idle.

Try to log your IAT2 temp. You can do this with an OBD2 adapter and something like the Torque app on your phone. You can also buy something like an Aerometer Interceptor gauge to watch it.
Good info. I will try to find a way to log it. Is the pump you're talking about the one for the coolant take for the blower? I notice that when i get home I park the car and I hear the pump working while the car is completely off.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you are getting ready to dyno tune this car, there is going to be some tuning device needed, I would think. Either an SCT X4 or BDX, or an HP Tuners dongle and their RTD app. I would find out from whoever you are tuning with, which device they support and get a datalog with that device.

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
tuned?
What intake are you running? I had this same issue on my 2011 with a Roush 2.3 and JLT CAI. Very simple fix for me, I would get the same surge when coasting on the highway, we found out it was the factory air box, well the bottom portion anyways, there is a rectangle tube that serves as a sort of ram air, with the JLT it would surge because of the amount of air coming in. JLT made a sponge baffle to reduce the amount of air coming in.... worked like a charm. You could stuff a rag in there and see if it works, that's what I did to identify it.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
What intake are you running? I had this same issue on my 2011 with a Roush 2.3 and JLT CAI. Very simple fix for me, I would get the same surge when coasting on the highway, we found out it was the factory air box, well the bottom portion anyways, there is a rectangle tube that serves as a sort of ram air, with the JLT it would surge because of the amount of air coming in. JLT made a sponge baffle to reduce the amount of air coming in.... worked like a charm. You could stuff a rag in there and see if it works, that's what I did to identify it.
Yup, JLT cai... I also gutted my grille, so a good amount of air comes in.

Do you have a pic to show what you mean?

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Stuff a rag in the end that slips in to the circled end.

intake.jpg
Sponsored